AuthorMessage
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

How to get enough food in? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to get enough food in?   How to get enough food in? EmptyTue 08 Sep 2015, 12:24 pm

Dont forget to freeze things for later use, thats what I do.  Even now. Makes things easier at work and also makes sure I dont over-eat.

Water is hard to drink, I add ribena personally.  But adding any cordial or half juice half water or tea helps change the tension and makes it easier to drink.

It is hard, its sort of like re-learning how or what to eat.

Keep trying small things and see how you go.

I still have trouble with lettuce and rocket.  I only recently ate crunchy green beans without an issue.  For me, pretty early one and still now, I find cooked mince is easiest to eat (ie bolognaise sauce just straight).  But, again everyone is different.

Good luck with it, it does get better.
Back to top Go down
sleevethepastbehind

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-06-28

PostSubject: Re: How to get enough food in?   How to get enough food in? EmptyTue 08 Sep 2015, 8:45 am

Thank you @greenfrog, you've made me feel so much better!

I can swallow my vitamins without too many problems, provided I do it slowly and don't take it with water (other liquid is okay).

This is so much harder than I expected, and I was definitely expecting it to be rough! Cooking small portions is annoying and my constantly changing tastes are very frustrating. Fingers crossed that it gets easier as my swelling goes down :-)

I've got a feeling that the carby shakes are the only thing keeping me going, so I'll stick with them until everything is settled.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: How to get enough food in?   How to get enough food in? EmptyTue 08 Sep 2015, 8:35 am

A couple of things,
10 kilos since surgery is great!
and it is hard at the start to get enought food in.

Your stomach is still swollen for the first 6 or so weeks.  Give it time, thats why your probably still on mushy food at one month out.  I think all I ate was about 1/3 of a cup of something foody.  So, I'm guessing that is about one of those protein drinks your talking about over the whole day.

In my opinion, at 4 weeks out I wouldn't be worrying about the amount of carbs in a protein drink.  If thats all you can stomach, I would be drinking it.
Lots of time in the future to worry about carbs.  How to get enough food in? 63412 

What has your dietician said about the amount your eating? or your surgeons office?

The first couple of months are hard, trying to work out what you can and can't stomach.  Its also a hassle cooking such small portions.  I think it was about 2 months out before I could eat a whole scrambelled egg.  I can't remember exactly, But I remember it caused me some issues.

You have to try things slowly as per your dieticians instructions.  It will get better as your stomach heals.  Can you swallow your vitamins ok?

Back to top Go down
sleevethepastbehind

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-06-28

PostSubject: How to get enough food in?   How to get enough food in? EmptyTue 08 Sep 2015, 6:05 am

I'm nearly one month post-op and am struggling with eating!

I don't like most foods anymore, especially not protein-rich foods. Eating is a chore but I'm constantly stressed about not getting adequate nutrition. I used to be a complete food addict before surgery, but now I really don't like eating or the feeling of eating.

I'm barely getting enough food to stop myself from getting dizzy, and I crave fruit and veggies like nothing else on earth, I just can't fit them in! The only protein shakes that I can stand the taste of are Rokeby Farms Whole Protein but they have loads of carbs so I'm nervous about depending on them. I cam fit about one shake in per day.

I'm also losing weight very slowly compared to many others I've seen, only 10.5kg since surgery.

Did anyone else have the same problems? Any suggestions?? I hate sounding like a pity party of one but I'm starting to get a bit down about this whole thing. I'm thinner than I've been in years but no happier :-/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get enough food in?   How to get enough food in? Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get enough food in?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: