Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.   Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve. EmptyThu 06 Aug 2015, 1:53 pm

Thanks Nickers and Aussiearies for your replies. Aussiearies, that's really reassuring. Obviously I understand the surgeons' concerns and I don't want to make light of reflux as it at best totally miserable and at worst dangerous, but I am hoping that I will be lucky enough for my reflux to stay as it is now (which is totally manageable.) I'm on 40mg of Nexium daily but I ham pretty much symptom free on that dosage. 

I hope upping your prescription gives you some relief. :)

Fingers crossed I will be able to have the sleeve, as I really don't want bypass at this stage. My reasoning is that I would be best to at least try the sleeve and hopefully I'll be fine, however if the reflux is dreadful I can convert to a bypass later on. Let's hope my surgeon thinks this is a good option!
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.   Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve. EmptyThu 06 Aug 2015, 1:41 pm

I had reflux for many years prior to having the sleeve and it didn't seem to bother my surgeon. I was really happy when he told me after the surgery that there were no signs of erosion any other issues from the reflux as I did worry that it could have caused a problem

I was taking 20mg Nexium before the surgery and have been taking that + chewable Gaviscon tablets but just got a prescription for 40mg tablets so I am hoping they will keep it better in check.

Not sure that it is really any worse than before, although possibly it is a bit, but not enough to make me regret having the sleeve and I am nearly 11 months out from surgery. I do  make sure that I take vit D and C supplements as I discovered that the Nexium can take the calcium out of your body.

My reflux is not bad enough to make me want to have a bypass.
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2014-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.   Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve. EmptyThu 06 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm

Reflux is pretty common with the band too.  I never had it pre band and I often had to sleep sitting up when it flared with the band even with nexium.  Hopefully it doesn't come back when I get sleeved...
Back to top Go down
innerninja
innerninja

Female
Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2013-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.   Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve. EmptyThu 06 Aug 2015, 10:47 am

I had it before. I have it now. Perhaps a little worse than pre sleeve, but manageable with somac.
Back to top Go down
Lisa66
Part of the furniture
Lisa66

Female
Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.   Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve. EmptyThu 06 Aug 2015, 8:50 am

Hi all. I'm a newbie - just got my first appointment with my surgeon. It's not until November :( Anyway, I am really convinced the sleeve is my best option for weight loss. However, there is a slight catch - I have long standing issues with gastric reflux. I take Nexium daily, which keeps it nicely under control. I have read lots about reflux after the sleeve and also know that some surgeons won't sleeve anyone with a history of reflux. I've read the studies and know that reflux can be made worse by the surgery but also that there are patients whose reflux improves after the sleeve.

I'm fairly convinced that I don't want a band. If my surgeon won't sleeve me I think bypass will be the only option for me. Bypass scares me.

So... I am wondering if there is anyone here who had reflux before they were sleeved? If so, how are you? Did your reflux worsen? Do you regret your decision?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.   Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve. Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have GORD/GERD/Reflux BEFORE sleeve.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Pre-Op Page-
Jump to: