AuthorMessage
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptyThu 27 Aug 2015, 7:11 am

I'm very hopeful it will go away :-(
Back to top Go down
juldon1
juldon1

Female
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2014-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptyThu 27 Aug 2015, 5:06 am

Hi Box of Jewels
Yes the night time coughing is nocturnal reflux I have had that prior to my sleeve. I do have bad reflux and my surgeon trialed injecting Botox in to the pylorus area and it relieved it immensely for three months. I'm going in for another shot in two weeks which should last longer. It has be done by other surgeons before but a first for mine so I got a reduction in cost the first time but won't be so blessed this time. Botox is expensive and I am yet to find out if my private health cover will pay for my out of pocket expenses.
Still I'd rather have the reflux than the other comorbidities I had previously.

Jules
Back to top Go down
Box of Jewels
Part of the furniture
Box of Jewels

Female
Number of posts : 637
Registration date : 2015-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptyWed 26 Aug 2015, 10:42 pm

Reflux here too.   On Nexium, so no pain....but now am waking with a startle and cough overnight.  Which I'm pretty sure is reflux.  Grrr.
Back to top Go down
juldon1
juldon1

Female
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2014-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptyWed 26 Aug 2015, 4:20 pm

Hi Mumma Bear
I'm just checking in to see how your reflux is now and if you came off the Somac slowly and are now
completely off of it?

Jules
Back to top Go down
Mumma Bear

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2015-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptySun 14 Jun 2015, 9:18 am

Lmw93579 wrote:
I'm about 12 weeks post op and didn't have problems with reflux prior to my op. I was taking tablets for reflux for the first 5weeks or so post op. Wasn't feeling too bad, a bit of a lump in my throat etc but when I went off the medication it was really uncomfortable. I spoke to my doctor and he assured me it would settle down. I was pretty sceptial and bought some over the counter reflux meds. I took a few but a week or so later everything had settled down and now I don't need anything at all.

I think there was just an adjustment period to get back to normal. It took me a while to feel comfortable with everything after the op.  

I hope it settles for you too😊

Oh thanks LMW. That's a relief to hear.
Back to top Go down
Lmw93579
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptySun 14 Jun 2015, 9:01 am

I'm about 12 weeks post op and didn't have problems with reflux prior to my op. I was taking tablets for reflux for the first 5weeks or so post op. Wasn't feeling too bad, a bit of a lump in my throat etc but when I went off the medication it was really uncomfortable. I spoke to my doctor and he assured me it would settle down. I was pretty sceptial and bought some over the counter reflux meds. I took a few but a week or so later everything had settled down and now I don't need anything at all.

I think there was just an adjustment period to get back to normal. It took me a while to feel comfortable with everything after the op.

I hope it settles for you too😊
Back to top Go down
Mumma Bear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptySun 14 Jun 2015, 8:20 am

Bellaballerina33 wrote:
Hi Mumma, I never had reflux prior to the sleeve, went on somac post op for a month, then went off it and the reflux started up badly. I went back on the somac 40 mg (20am and 20pm), and it settled but was still lingering from time to time. I also felt like I constantly had a lump in my throat and had to keep on swallowing. I researched about it as I found it weird considering I didn't have reflux prior. I read about PPI rebound which might be worth a Google. I gradually weaned down and then off completely and am now fine. Just remember to check everything with your surgeon.

Hi Bella,
I have never had reflux even with a failed gastric band so I'm a bit concerned. It sounds like you were on the same dose as I am. I take it morning and night. I will look at PPI rebound. Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
Mumma Bear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptySun 14 Jun 2015, 8:17 am

HW1 wrote:
Mumma Bear wrote:
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips / advice on night time reflux. I had nothing for the first 3 weeks then it started but only at night time.

I've started eating dinner very early and drinking lots of water. I have Gaviscon when it wakes me up but I would rather it didn't happen at all. As a FIFO worker waking at 4am to work a 12 hour day, just the waking up through the night alone is exhausting me.

My Dr says it should settle down in time and that it's normal.

Has this happened to anyone? Did it settle? If yes, when?

Thanks.
Hi,
I am also 5 weeks post op.  The surgeon had me on Somac for reflux but advised me to have a trial off the tablets have a few day at the 4 week mark to see if I could go without these tablets.  WELL-  within 24 hours I was having troubles swallowing anything including what I had been able to tolerate up to this time.  It was awful, with pain on swallowing and back ache from the reflux, so I went back on puree diet for 3 days and restarted the Somac Tablets and now another 3 days later I am back on track and now tolerating mashed foods again with hardly any pain on swallowing or back ache.   So it looks like I needed these anti reflux medications for longer and if that keeps me on tracks to progress back to normal consistancy foods and no pain on swallowing and backache that whats I will do.
Where you on somac post op????  and if so have you stop those medications as well??

Hi HW1,

I'm currently on Somac morning and night. I'm not entirely sure it's doing anything. Having said that, I have no trouble whatsoever during the day.
Back to top Go down
Bellaballerina33
Part of the furniture
Bellaballerina33

Female
Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2014-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptySun 14 Jun 2015, 6:16 am

Hi Mumma, I never had reflux prior to the sleeve, went on somac post op for a month, then went off it and the reflux started up badly. I went back on the somac 40 mg (20am and 20pm), and it settled but was still lingering from time to time. I also felt like I constantly had a lump in my throat and had to keep on swallowing. I researched about it as I found it weird considering I didn't have reflux prior. I read about PPI rebound which might be worth a Google. I gradually weaned down and then off completely and am now fine. Just remember to check everything with your surgeon.
Back to top Go down
HW1

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptySun 14 Jun 2015, 6:08 am

Mumma Bear wrote:
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some tips / advice on night time reflux. I had nothing for the first 3 weeks then it started but only at night time.

I've started eating dinner very early and drinking lots of water. I have Gaviscon when it wakes me up but I would rather it didn't happen at all. As a FIFO worker waking at 4am to work a 12 hour day, just the waking up through the night alone is exhausting me.

Thanks.
Hi,
I am also 5 weeks post op.  The surgeon had me on Somac for reflux but advised me to have a trial off the tablets have a few day at the 4 week mark to see if I could go without these tablets.  WELL-  within 24 hours I was having troubles swallowing anything including what I had been able to tolerate up to this time.  It was awful, with pain on swallowing and back ache from the reflux, so I went back on puree diet for 3 days and restarted the Somac Tablets and now another 3 days later I am back on track and now tolerating mashed foods again with hardly any pain on swallowing or back ache.   So it looks like I needed these anti reflux medications for longer and if that keeps me on tracks to progress back to normal consistancy foods and no pain on swallowing and backache that whats I will do.
Where you on somac post op????  and if so have you stop those medications as well??
Back to top Go down
Mumma Bear

Female

PostSubject: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op EmptySun 14 Jun 2015, 4:47 am

Hi,

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op   Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op Empty

Back to top Go down

Night Time Reflux - 5 Weeks Post Op
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: