Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fatboyslims

Male
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-08-18

public patients? Empty
PostSubject: Re: public patients?   public patients? EmptyThu 17 Sep 2015, 8:39 am

WondaWendy wrote:
FYI - News article in Brisbane tonight was that doctors are pushing the Government to consider making gastric sleeve surgery available on the public system.  They say it will save the health system heaps in the long run due to diabeties, osteo-arthritis and other obesity related conditions that will be reduced.  The article had Dr John Hopkins (a well known bariatric surgeon) commenting about this.

So watch this space --> it wouldn't surprise me if the Government came on board with this one, and if so, this might be public within the next 2 years :)
I really hope this is Australia wide, i went to my Public Appt last October told i need to be about 170kg before even looked at for Bypass surgery i am 130kg..I left thinking stuff it all what a waste of time waiting 2yrs to be told that??? .. Still 130kg. Feel really bummed out depressed about it all, so I've given up. I just don't have the funds to do it, being on a pension. I will watch this space though, I would even travel for it to be done if i could. thanks :D
Back to top Go down
binney78

Female
Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-04-15

public patients? Empty
PostSubject: Re: public patients?   public patients? EmptySat 18 Apr 2015, 12:16 am

I had also heard that they were no longer taking patients publicly but doc referred me so thought will see! Original referral was probably two years ago and first appt was about a year later (ish) this is in vic though so other states may be different! Cant see why they should be though! Have also hearz of others that got done quicker at other hospitals. May also be up to hospitals? No harm in trying! I thought there would be no way medicare would fund it as i am lucky enough to be relately healthy (morbid obesity aside! Lol!) That said if i could afford to do it myself i would have! Looking at getting phi now as if i am lucky enough to lose plenty and have loose skin i would like to be able to get ot removed eventually! Dont expect medicare to come to the party on that one!!
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

public patients? Empty
PostSubject: Re: public patients?   public patients? EmptyFri 17 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

FYI - News article in Brisbane tonight was that doctors are pushing the Government to consider making gastric sleeve surgery available on the public system.  They say it will save the health system heaps in the long run due to diabeties, osteo-arthritis and other obesity related conditions that will be reduced.  The article had Dr John Hopkins (a well known bariatric surgeon) commenting about this.

So watch this space --> it wouldn't surprise me if the Government came on board with this one, and if so, this might be public within the next 2 years :)
Back to top Go down
binney78

Female

public patients? Empty
PostSubject: Re: public patients?   public patients? EmptyFri 17 Apr 2015, 2:22 am

Thanks bumbles! Yeah was not really thinking it would be for a while yet! Super happy though and yes feeling lucky but scared! Had my gall bladder out at monash clayton (same place i am getting sleeve done) in august and surgeons were nice...not that that has any bearing on skill! Lol! Will meet surgeon on wed so hopefully all good! I was reading a little of your diary yesterday.....needing a tena at some points! Really relate to your story so hoping my sleeve goes as well as yours! (The rsults not complications!)
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

public patients? Empty
PostSubject: Re: public patients?   public patients? EmptyThu 16 Apr 2015, 7:20 am

Wow Binney, youre lucky to be getting done under Medicare, I heard the waiting lists were closed and they werent doing it anymore. 

A friend of mine had the surgery about 2 years ago under the public system and is doing well - he had some touch and go moments under anaesthetic though. He was done at the Austin although I have no idea of the surgeons name.
Back to top Go down
binney78

Female

public patients? Empty
PostSubject: public patients?   public patients? EmptyThu 16 Apr 2015, 3:33 am

Hi. Most people here seem to have self funded their sleeve or have phi cover most/some. I am getting done under medicare and was wondering if anyone else is/was sleeved publicly and of so where/when! Obviously being public i have no choice in surgeon so would love some info!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

public patients? Empty
PostSubject: Re: public patients?   public patients? Empty

Back to top Go down

public patients?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Medicare Assistance-
Jump to: