AuthorMessage
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture
QuirkyQuaintrelle

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

Waiting for a different surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyThu 22 Jan 2015, 1:03 pm

Glad ton ear you enjoyed your tea, and it sounds like things are going well for you.  I hope your future recovery goes as smoothly as possible.

I agree with Wendy regarding your comments about what the surgeon told you. This is a life altering event and sometimes that can be in a negative sense. We need to be fully informed to make a responsible decision, so thank you for your honesty.
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyThu 22 Jan 2015, 8:05 am

Hey Shrinking Violet,

It sounds like things went pretty well, considering.  I hope the pump doesn't end up causing you too much annoyance.

Interesting information from your surgeon about sleeve complications - I don't think you should worry about tucking the comment away though. The point of a support site is not just to promote the good bits and support happy sleevers. We should all be aware of what can go wrong, and that there are surgeons out there with higher complication rates than they might be letting on (or be willing to accept responsibility for).  We are definitely here to to support anyone with complications.  They need even more understanding and support after all!!!

I hope things keep on improving :)
Back to top Go down
Shrinking Violet

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2015-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyThu 22 Jan 2015, 7:41 am

Well, I'm still in hospital but only to have my tube feed regime tweaked by the dietitians and have my routine monthly IV Rx while I'm here to save me coming back next week again.

My cup of tea tasted freaking awesome! Today I was upgraded to FOOD! well, as much as my sleeve will let me eat which is obviously not much. Lunch was half a poached egg and a third of a slice of toast but that's still pretty good for me at over 13 months post VSG. 

I'm going home tomorrow after my last dose of drugs. My feeds are up to 110mls/hr to run for 14 hours a day. It's designed to give me 1500calories and 60g of protein and then my oral intake on top of that. So for the next two more likely three months before surgery I'll be attached to a pump to feed me 14 hours a day. After the surgery they use the tube to feed you again while the area where the stomach was removed heals and you learn how to eat without a stomach so the tube doesn't get removed for a while after the surgery either. It's going to be my constant companion for a while but it really isn't much of a bother at the moment, I can hardly notice it. When I get home and I have to deal with the realities of life, dragging a pump around while cooking, cleaning, making the bed etc...that's when I might get a bit sick of it.

I hate to mention it on a Support site like this that's why I've tucked it away at the end of this post. My surgeon said this morning that he has "several" patients on feeding tubes awaiting gastrectomies or reparative surgeries post botched sleeve surgery. He is a very respected well known surgeon and he just won't do them.
Back to top Go down
aussiearies
Part of the furniture
aussiearies

Female
Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2014-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 6:29 am

Sorry to hear about your Aunt but I don't think it was silly to think she was with you, I think it is a lovely comforting thought really, and I am sure she was there for you in spirit.
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture
QuirkyQuaintrelle

Female

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 3:31 am

Sorry to hear about your aunt but what a beautiful thought that she was there with you.

Hope the tea was as good as you've been anticipating xo
Back to top Go down
icanucan2
icanucan2

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2014-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 12:40 am

Pleased to read all went well and you are doing ok Shrinking Violet.  Hope your BP improves throughout the day.  Sorry to read about your Aunt. 
All the best from me for a speedy recovery and a "new normal" future. 
Enjoy that cup of tea!!
Back to top Go down
Shrinking Violet

Female

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyTue 20 Jan 2015, 12:29 am

Yahoo.....nasal tube out J tube in...feeling good. Very little pain. Already been up, showered, been for a walk. Drama plus overnight...BP dropped to 70/30 had to have foot of bed raised, IV fluid boluses, IV albumin drips etc. Still only 85/45 but I feel perfectly okay.

I've even been given the go ahead to order my cup of tea...can't wait for that to arrive...hope it tastes as good as I've been anticipating for the last two weeks. I'm hoping to go home tomorrow if the tube feeds go well and I don't get dumping...apparently this new tube has been moved further down the intestine and might cause more of a problem so they are starting the feeds at 30mls/hr just to be safe.

I got some sad news this morning. Just as I was being put under anaesthetic at 5pm yesterday my oldest Aunt (on my mothers side) passed away. She was 92. I had received a phone call two days ago saying she had been taken to hospital and was not expected to survive. How co incidental and somehow, very comforting that she passed away just as I was put under....kind of like she was there with me...silly of me to think like that. 

Oh well, now just two months or so of J tube feeds then to have my stomach out and hopefully back on track to a nearly normal life. Well, that's the plan at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 7:29 am

Thinking of you, hope everything goes well.  Let us know when you feel up to it.

Waiting for a different surgery 217555
Back to top Go down
Shrinking Violet

Female

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 6:44 am

Thanks...still waiting. But it does seem to have gone quickly. Should go in soon, assuming the patients before me all went well.
Back to top Go down
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture
QuirkyQuaintrelle

Female

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 6:24 am

Best of luck shrinkingviolet - I hope today is a much more positive experience than what you've had to suffer previously!
Back to top Go down
meg_82
meg_82

Female
Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 5:42 am

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://myfancysleeve.wordpress.com
Shrinking Violet

Female

PostSubject: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery EmptyMon 19 Jan 2015, 3:55 am

I'm sitting here in hospital waiting for my surgery to have a Jejeunosotmy Feeding Tube inserted into my abdoman. I've had the Nasal Jejeunal tube for two weeks now and the overnight feeds at home have been going well but this tube has not settled at all. My throat is as sore today as it was the day after I had it put in. I'm pleased that I should wake up from surgery and it will be gone.
I'm in my lovely OT gown and paper pants with compression stockings and the anaesthetist has just been and ordered Clexane injections (never even had them with the Sleeve surgery). This anaesthetist was lovely and told me that he will give me pain relief while I'm still under but if I get pain afterwards to tell the nurses and he will have ordered some post op pain relief as well. That's a bonus. I never got any pain killers after my sleeve surgery...apparently someone forgot about them! And that was with me having a twisted stomach and vomiting all the time....not one offer of any pain killer from anyone! 

I can already tell....different hospital, different surgeon, different anaesthetist. I'm so much more confident that I will get good care.

Oh, AND an added bonus. Even though this surgeon didn't do my sleeve surgery (and won't do them) he is doing this surgery with no gap. So, unless the anaesthetist sends me a bill, I won't have any out of pockets. 

I've been here since 10am and not going in until 5pm but if I was still able to drink (haven't had anything to eat or drink by mouth for two weeks), the anaesthetist would be happy for me to keep drinking right up until 3pm. Oh well, maybe when my nasal tube comes out I can finally have a nice cup of tea...I've been looking forward to it for the last 14 days...to sip on a hot cuppa!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for a different surgery   Waiting for a different surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

Waiting for a different surgery
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: