AuthorMessage
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female
Number of posts : 1024
Registration date : 2010-08-24

experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne Empty
PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptySun 04 Jan 2015, 5:26 am

You're welcome nickers and thank you!  Best wishes x
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female
Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2014-11-07

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptySun 04 Jan 2015, 4:31 am

Thanks for the info Jamie! You look fantastic in your photo BTW!
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptySun 04 Jan 2015, 1:27 am

Hi greenfrog

Nope no band, he isn't sold on them yet, so preferred to not do it.  He made it super tight though, it's wonderful.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptySun 04 Jan 2015, 1:21 am

Sorry nickers I didn't see your post to me earlier.  Im pretty sure he does band revisions to sleeve.  From what I have been told, it depends on the damage to your stomach from the band.
Good luck with it!

Jaime, did they put a 'band' ( i can't think what its called) around your new sleeve?
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptySat 03 Jan 2015, 11:25 pm

Hey nickers

A resleeve is just the sleeve done again.  I will repost my story from a fb group I posted it on.

I was originally Sleeved in September 2011. Everything went well, I lost heaps of weight in the first 12 months. I could eat a bit of everything, with no troubles. At around 18 months post Sleeve, I started noticing I could eat a little more and over the next 12 months, I was gradually able to fit in more and more. Now I didn't force food in, so don't think that's how it happened ... I just noticed the consumption amount gradually. However, I did start slipping back into old habits, as a lot of people do. The sleeve isn't a miracle cure for obesity and fat brains. My excuse was mainly just laziness and not really thinking about nutrition and what I was doing. I have a very busy life. Having said that though, I would estimate that I did eat relatively healthy half the time. I did gain about 13-15kg over that time.
One night at dinner, we got Chinese take away and I ate a whole dinner sized plate full and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I said to my fiance, I really need to get some tests done, this isn't right! So off to my Surgeon I went. He could see the gradual gain over the past 12 months, as I have 3 monthly check ups with him still (I think this is a good thing, really keep in contact with your surgeon). He sent me for a Fizz CT Scan at Epworth (this is a scan where you drink as much fizzy drink you can, without burping and then they do the CT before you burp). The results showed that my tummy was like a balloon shape at the top and a little bit stretched.
2 months later, I had a Resleeve. I asked him to do it a little tighter than he usually would ... I wanted to try my best to not have this issue again and I wanted to get the weight off that I had gained, plus more. Everything went well with my Resleeve, it was just like a regular Sleeve op, where he trimmed away the balloon/stretched part.
I was Resleeved June 25th, so I am 6 months post op now. I have lost 23kg since then, I've lost the weight I gained, plus more! I feel so good, I am feeling healthier and happier. My ultimate career goal of joining the Victorian Police is in sight now.
If you are experiencing similar, go see your Surgeon. People will tell you that a Resleeve wont work and to just go straight to a Bypass. I had heaps of people telling me this, on these Sleeve FB groups unfortunately (just being honest) but I'm very glad I didn't listen and just went with what I really wanted. I figured if a Resleeve didn't work, THEN I would have a 3rd chance with a Bypass (but really, I didn't want to end up having 3 WLS ops).
Because I went with the same Surgeon, I wasn't charged any gap but each Surgeon maybe different.
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptySat 03 Jan 2015, 11:42 am

HiJamie, thanks!

Forgive my ignorance but what is a 'resleeve'?  Does that mean that your first sleeve was too big or has stretched?  Did Ian do both surgeries for you?

Thanks for replying
Back to top Go down
Jaime
Part of the furniture
Jaime

Female

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptySat 03 Jan 2015, 10:40 am

Hey nickers

Ian Michell is my surgeon and he resleeved me 6 months ago.  He's fabulous!
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptyTue 23 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

Thanks Greenfrog.  I'm in the innernorth so the location would work. Bypass isn't an option for me due to autoimmune issues.  Some docs don't like revising band to sleeve.  Do you know if yours revises to sleeves?  I have heard he has a great rep.
Back to top Go down
greenfrog
Part of the furniture
greenfrog

Female
Number of posts : 634
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptyTue 23 Dec 2014, 10:05 am

Mine does revisions too, I remember talking to a couple of girls at the last dinner they organised who were going from a band to bypass. 
Not sure were you are or who your current Doc is (in case he is one and the same).  Mine is, Ahmad Aly he has an office in Bulleen and operates out of Warringal Private and maybe Mitchem Private (I think).  A bit further than Richmond.
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptyTue 23 Dec 2014, 7:33 am

Not yet Lizzie, on hold for Xmas but have your doc and Ian Mitchell on my short list.  I read in another read that he does revision and is also a liver/kidney transplant surgeon who doesn't charge silly amounts and operates close to me in a few hospitals in inner Melbourne.  Will be making appointments when I get back in mid Jan.   Hopefully not much heavier....   I have to wait for the PHI to kick in at October in any case but I know the pre op appointments can take some time so best get onto it.   

Merry Christmas!        experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne 787760
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptyTue 23 Dec 2014, 7:14 am

Did you find anyone yet nickers?
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptyTue 16 Dec 2014, 11:43 am

Thanks for the reply Lizzie!  Happy to travel for good advice.  Blunt works for me. I like docs who tell it like it is..
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptyTue 16 Dec 2014, 11:35 am

Hiya nickers

If I remember right, my surgeon, Geoff Draper, has done a number of revisions. I don't know how many though. He is upfront to the point of being blunt, but does it with a smile.

He is based out of Peninsula Private in Frankston, not sure if that is too far for you or not..
Back to top Go down
nickers

Female

PostSubject: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne EmptyTue 16 Dec 2014, 7:28 am

Hi folks, does anyone know of a surgeon in Melbourne who has a lot of experience with revision surgery?  My current surgeon does them but isn't keen on sharing numbers with me.  He is also quoting much higher complication rates on revision which seem very out of date from what I've read.   He may just be trying to make sure I understand all the risks, which I appreciate but not wanting to disclose how many he's done doesn't really foster trust...  I'm keen on a second opinion in any case.

Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne   experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne Empty

Back to top Go down

experienced revision surgeon in Melbourne
Page 1 of 1