2 posters
AuthorMessage
Vogette
Vogette

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-05-13

Band to Sleeve advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve advice   Band to Sleeve advice EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 9:58 pm

Hi Garfield...

Thank you so much for your response. You have certainly experienced it all!

I know I am being impatient and irrational.

I had 6 months between band removal and sleeving. In that time I put on about 15kg.

It had been said to me that there was less success with the sleeve following a band...I guess I am focusing on that and panicking!

I really am extremely well, given that it is only 3 weeks since surgery...I am back on my bicycle, riding up to 20km.

I am eating well. I focus on protein, vegetables. I am still on soft foods - about 1/2 cup. I drink about 1500 ml of water daily, plus a couple of cups of tea/coffee.

I am expecting too much at this early time. I know.

Argh this whole process does your head in, doesn't it!!!???
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve advice   Band to Sleeve advice EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 7:14 pm

You need your body to regain it's momentum and it will take it's own sweet time when YOUR body is ready.  Forcing into action won't work.

Just focus on the nutritional side of things - what is the best diet for you.  I highly recommend seeing a nutritionist (not a dietician who just hands out photocopied sheets of the meal plan) to work to out what is best for you without considering the preservative and additives in their products.

I had the lapband, then failed sleeve (the sleeve kinked over as he cut in too far), emergency bypass then revision bypass (as the made the passageway too big food was staying in me, I would absorb the calories the out it would come 30mins later) so my weight was up and down the entire time.  At one stage I was told I must put on weight so the dieticians feeding me up on this stuff via a nasal feeding tube and I put on 10kg in 1 week which shocked the Dr and he thought may 3-4kg!

Stalls are completely normal and I use it as an opportunity to shake it up.  I never stick to the same old boring diet or count calories.  I eat nutritionally well and if there is cake and I feel like it, I will eat it too.  But if I am feeling I want to lose some, then I skip the cake focus on my nutrition with gentle exercise.

But to be honest, I think it takes a good 3 months before your body to re-adjust after the lapband (especially if you have only waited 3 months before surgeries).  Give it time to heal after a major operation and the number on the scales doesn't represent you as a person - you have better qualities then that :-)
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Vogette

Female

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve advice   Band to Sleeve advice EmptyWed 03 Dec 2014, 7:11 pm

Bumping...

Now I am concerned. Despite exercise (I am cycling 5-20km in a stretch 2-3 times/week}, I have actually gained weight.

I can eat and drink easily...about 1/2 cup...still on puree.

I am probably working my self up, but is this related to the band???

I cannot feel as though I have lost, so don't think it is muscle...

Arghhh!
Back to top Go down
Vogette
Vogette

Female

PostSubject: Band to Sleeve advice   Band to Sleeve advice EmptyFri 28 Nov 2014, 7:54 am

Hi all,

I had a band inserted in May 2010, had a great loss (47kg) and all was great for about 18 months, then the band started turning evil, and I started throwing up every meal (yet the surgeon who put it in did not feel there was a problem!). I hained weight despite this.

In May this year, I had a major slip, and the band was removed as an emergency procedure. I gained 12 kg over 6 months.

I have had a sleeve done on November 12, and the surgeon found there were extensive adhesions around my stomach. He used a 29F bougie.

I am feeling that I am able to eat too much - obviously it is less than I am able to eat with out a band. I can't say I feel much restriction...I know I am comparing it to the band! Actual hunger, I have little...but head hunger is a disturbing thing

I am certainly not having a dramatic weight loss )I have lost 6.5 kg since starting Opti 3.5 weeks ago, and the surgery 2 weeks ago.

Perhaps I am impatient (hell yes!), but given that my meal size is small, I would have expected more.

I guess I am so paranoid that the sleeve will not work for me (according to my surgeon, there is a higher likelihood of less effectiveness of the sleeve when you have had a band).

Can anyone who has been banded prior to sleeve share their experience with me??? 

I know it is early days, but just need some reassurance!!!

Thanks, guys, 

Beth
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Band to Sleeve advice   Band to Sleeve advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Band to Sleeve advice
Page 1 of 1