AuthorMessage
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

how fast can you get onto normal food Empty
PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyTue 04 Nov 2014, 12:03 pm

Complications can happen for a lot longer then that(3 weeks) the first couple of months the tummy is swollen and can form a leak if overstretched.   For some it takes several months for food to sit right and pass though without problem.  I took at least 4mths before I could eat without risking it coming back up.  Yep its boring , boring as hell but risking leaks is a lot worse.  I haven't been reading many diaries lately or the sleevers monthly so I don't know if anyone has been unfortunate to have to worst happen to them currently but when I had mine several poor people had bad leaks.  It can take many months to recover the pain and anguish is terrible please don't even think of eating solid foods until your Dr tells you its OK.

Better to be bored or envious then sick in hospital or dead.
Back to top Go down
DayleD
Part of the furniture
DayleD

Female
Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2014-04-12

PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 8:12 pm

Hey Andypandy,

I agree, have patience.  I was told that after this surgery, and it is major, that the stomach is in shock and 'palpitations' and you need to give it time to adjust.  Consider it in WTF mode.  The most common time for leaks and complications is in the first 3 weeks, which is why you need to go slowly slowly and do exactly what's been advised for you.  You can still get a 'tear or perforation' up to 3 months out, so the different foods do serve a purposes.  You're going well, but keep at the puree for another few weeks.

Cheers, DayleD
Back to top Go down
Awesome

Female
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2014-08-21

PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 3:04 pm

Sitting in my couch reading your post made me imagine myself in 2.5 months. I also have 3 kids and a food loving hubby and have my surgery on the 28 January. Wish me luck that I pass through this phase smoothly. 

All the best to you too how fast can you get onto normal food 65317
Back to top Go down
andypandy

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

OK, thank you, that is what I assumed but I wondered if there was another reason. Yes I am a rather inpatient person, plus it is so hard to resist when hubby and 3 kids are eating normal food and all I get is mush. Still that is the price to pay for getting healthy so won't protest too much, and certainly won't deviate from the advice much.
I am glad I found this group, makes me feel less alone with my troubles and questions.
Back to top Go down
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 8:39 am

better said than me Wendy we must have posted at the same time. lol
Back to top Go down
Toran
Part of the furniture
Toran

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2014-01-21

PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 8:37 am

Hi Andypandy,

I would be sticking to what your Surgeon and Dietitian has told you to do.  Food getting stuck and having to be removed, (can't remember who, plus there was a photo on here back in April/May this year of food stuck down oesophagus).  Your stomach is still swollen and healing I'm sure you don't want to cause a leak. There is a reason why they recommend to do liquids, purées, mashed/soft then normal.  You've just had major surgery give yourself time to heal, the time will pass quickly then you can introduce normal foods a little at a time to see what you can tolerate.

Good luck, sorry I would hate to hear you ended up back in hospital

Last edited by Toran on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 8:33 am

Hi AndyPandy, My dietitian's advice was related to swelling and the size of the gap through the stomach at each stage - in liquid stage he said it was basically a trickle through, then in 1st week of purees I could have lumps and bumps in the food that could fit through the tine of a fork only and in 2nd week of purees lumps and bumps that could go through a narrow straw.  He also said that after 28 days the staple line is completely healed and you can basically do no harm so to speak.  So basically, it is combination of not wanting to block yourself and cause discomfort, and also not do any harm that could cause a leak - leaks can be a big problem due to the acid. 

Anyway, I did 2 weeks on fluids then 2 on purees but truth be told, on my second week of purees, I tended to mash things straight on my plate or take tiny bits and then just chew them to a puree rather than process them with a food processor or other device.  You do have to be careful though.

Hope that helps - bear in mind it is just my advice though :)

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
andypandy

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 7:35 am

I am a newie, 1 week post op, feeling good (occasional light headedness), managing my required water intake and eating little bits. Not a fan of the shakes etc, find them too sweet and considering how little I eat, I would finish one portion only in a day, if that is all I eat. I read some posts about needing to eat 90g of protein a day, but not sure what that is about?
Currently on mashed and purred food, soups and broths, but I feel that I could go onto normal, well chewed food in two weeks or so, so I am wondering what is the purpose of being on puree for so long (I was advised 4 weeks), what is the soonest anyone has gone on solids and what would be the harm of going on solids early?

thanking you in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how fast can you get onto normal food   how fast can you get onto normal food Empty

Back to top Go down

how fast can you get onto normal food
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: