Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thumper_m109

Male
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-11-01

Hello from Canberra. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptyTue 04 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

I did try a little of the chicken soup in the second week of the fluid diet and my tummy did not like it, so I stuck to the protein shakes soups and up and go's. What truly disappointed me was the lack of plain soups in the super markets. Tomato, Pumpkin, beef and chicken consume seemed to be all I could find. So I had to be creative and made up some combinations of stock and a few other meats and veg then strain them. 

The puree phase was with out a doubt the hardest. A couple of things I tried that sort of worked was tinned beef stew blitzed and I slow cooked chilli concarn using chuck steak that I then pureed I had to mix extra beef stock in to thin it as the beans turned it into more of a paste. 

What did work well was gippsland natural yogurt and the golden circle fruit puree satchels, really do love them. Also did peas, carrot and asparagus purees. The other chunkier soups worked well too if you run them through the blitzer to break up the chucks. And I am sad to say I did like the old KFC potato and gravy, though I only had it a couple of times. 

The final one I really did like was getting the laksa broth from my local thai place. They were kind enough to give me a bowl of broth on the cheap a couple of times. I just measured it out into little tupperware containers and had it for lunches and dinners. The froze and reheated really well. So if you are into spicy, thats the way to go. 

I also tried a couple of the whey shakes from the supplements store but really didn't like them very much. 

I have just started on the soft foods today and there are oodles of really good recipes in a number of books that I will be trying and after talking to Jason yesterday, it sounds like I am now just entering the interesting part. lots of exploring to do and a real trial to test my resolve. :) 

What I can say, is that it has not been as daunting as it looked in the books. While I had some issues with dehydration, and I know I was most likely not getting all the protein I should have. It wasn't a chore or a burden to keep on track. 

What I do know is my blood sugar levels are the best they have been in 20 years. and I am feeling better than I have in a decade. 

Be well. And feel free to keep asking questions if you feel lost. :)
Back to top Go down
emmabear
emmabear

Female
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2014-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptyTue 04 Nov 2014, 11:45 am

Hi Randall, I have that book :) it arrived last week and I've been pawing through it trying to plan my meals. 

The only thing I have found confusing is the book has all these great recipes for soups and smoothies for the liquid stage, yet the info sheet Jason gave me only talks about veggie soups and up and go etc for that stage. I really like the look of the chicken and artichoke soup...but think I need to wait until on purees. 

What did you do?

Emma

PS. Have you been to see Jason already? How's coming off purees going?
Back to top Go down
thumper_m109

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptyTue 04 Nov 2014, 11:31 am

No worries Emma. 

I really hope everything goes well for you. I have a copy of "Your complete guide to nutrition for weight loss surgery", You are welcome to borrow it if you would like. It has some really good recipes for the 2 weeks on the optifast. I really liked mixed veg soup and the Balsamic Roast asparagus and mushrooms.
Back to top Go down
emmabear
emmabear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptyTue 04 Nov 2014, 11:12 am

Hi Randall - thanks for the tips and info. Hopefully I'll be a bit more prepared now. Sorry for hijacking your post :)

Emma
Back to top Go down
thumper_m109

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

Hi Emma,

PC's advice is pretty good. I did take a few things with me though.

• Phone & Charger
  • Tablet & Charger
  • Undies, tracksuit pants, t-shirts, dressing gown & slippers. 
  • Meds. (Be sure you take all of them)
  • Toiletries.
  • Book.
  • Headphones

I loaded my tablet up with Videos and music, also had a couple of audio books. And of course as it turned out I wasn't really in the mood to do any of those things after surgery. In reality all I wanted to do was sleep for the first few days. But that was me.

The staff at John James were great and if you are finding you are having difficulty with anything, make sure you let them know. I had trouble with reflux (Heartburn) after the op and Dr. Mosse was quick to fix it. 

Label all you stuff, just incase you forget it when you go. I have a label maker you can borrow if you need.

My Journey in John Ja,es went something like:

Checked in at about 6:30 and was taken pretty much straight away to change into the Lovely paper undies and a gown. I had to leave my clothes in a bag where the pre-op was done. I was first on the schedule so from there I went straight up to the theatres. There I was turned into pin cushion and I had the really cool stockings on. 

Once I was in the theatre Dr. came in and said hello. Next thing I was waking up in recovery in a fair bit of pain. I don't remember much about the rest of the day as I drifted in and out. It wasn't till the evening when my family dropped by to visit that I remember much. I had trouble sleeping that first night. 

The next two days were mostly trying to sleep or stretch my legs. By the third day I was up and around and got my first real meal (as real as consume can be a meal). I was feeling pretty good by the fourth day and was ready to get out. 

All in all, It went well, the Dr. and staff were happy with how I was travelling. So I was out by lunch time on the fourth day. 

BTW, if you need anyone to get you anything while you are in, I would be happy help out. 

You are in for an interesting experience, but its not something you should fret over. Dr. Mosse was recommended to me by one of the best Endocrinologist around and you are in good hands. Everything I have heard about him would lead me to believe he is one of the best in the region. 

Be well, and good luck on your journey. :).
Back to top Go down
emmabear
emmabear

Female

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm

Hi Randall, 

Welcome to the forum, I'm only new myself!

I'm in Canberra also and am having the sleeve with Dr Mosse at John James on December 9. If you have any hints and tips about John James like PC posted below about Calvary, I'd love to hear them. I've never been in hospital before so don't know what I'll need or what to expect. I also don't have anyone who will be able to bring me anything I forgot...so if theres any 'must haves' that would be very handy :)

How great is Jason at Canberra Bariatric! He's so friendly and good to chat to. It sounds like you're doing really well so far and really getting your diabetes sorted. 

Cheers, 

Emma
Back to top Go down
thumper_m109

Male

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 1:00 am

I had Dr. Mosse and it was done at John James in Deakin. It was quick and while I had some pain for the first two days after the surgery, I was on "press the button if you are in pain" pain killer for those two days. It was ok and I really didn't find it traumatic in any sort of way.

Dr. mosse had been awesome and while expensive, I have found him to be worth the price. Going in to see Jason (dietitian) on Monday and I am due to come off the puree diet on Tuesday. So the really life change start then.

The whole staff at Canberra Bariatrics have been the bomb. Can't praise them enough.
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 12:03 am

Calvary Bruce is an old hospital, like pretty much every hospital around here, except Queanbeyan (unfortunately while Queanbeyan has an empty 2nd floor and scope to expand a little, it's not funded for much beyond maternity, X-ray, ultrasound and A&E).  Being old, Calvary doesn't have enough power points.  If you're likely to use a smartphone, bring your charger, and a power board with a decent length cable to reach around the head of your bed. 

That said you will find it difficult to look at anything bright for the first day or so post-op.  They supply newspapers to private patients, but probably not on the first day.  You probably will be too out of it to read it on your first day, so it works out.

For those who use nail polish, don't wear it in hospital.  Your fingernails are a good way of monitoring your blood oxygen level, so they have to be visible.

You'll want some slippers, crocs, thongs or similar while in hospital.  One of the most important things you can do during the first few days is to haul your IV pole up and down the corridor, to work the gas out of your system.  Those floors are fine barefoot but it just feels odd without footwear, but you will NOT want to wear convoluted footwear.

Bring toiletries that you're comfortable using.  A day or two post-op you'll have a lot of oddly coloured gunk to scrub off your skin.  They supply soap, towels, facewashers and that's about all.  Bring toothbrush, toothpaste, a loofah, and anything else you think you might need.

Don't shave your abdomen pre-op.  The admissions nurse does that using their electric shaver, and if she nicks you (she nicked me twice!), it's her job to deal with the nicks in a way that minimises the infection risk.  If you do it yourself, the infection risk is greater, and they might call off the surgery.

The one thing I always bring to hospitals is a grabbing stick/claw.  The sort of thing you see street cleaners use to pick up litter off the ground without bending their back.  You get dodgy versions of them from $2 shops, though I got a few when Aldi had them a few years ago and I've been using those ones ever since.  When you drop something, and you will, it's nice to reach up to the TV stand above you, grab the claw, then reach in the general direction of whatever you dropped, and pick it up, without even having to get up.  Getting up at Calvary is tricky because the power points usually sit on the opposite side of the bed to where your IV pole sits, so you are effectively trapped in bed.  (I got around that by plugging the IV pole into my own powerboard on the other side of the bed).

You won't need any food or drink in hospital, they supply it, and it's way more than you will be able to tolerate anyway.  Your guests might, but you probably won't want them to eat in your presence.

Bring some sort of eye mask, in case your guests or your roommate (Calvary has very few single rooms) decides to watch TV on the first night when you will be photosensitive.  Even sunlight in the window might be too much.  I had one in an airline toiletries kit that I got on a recent flight and kept handy.

If you have piercings or other jewelery, bring a ziploc sandwich bag to put them in during the admissions process when they all have to be removed.

Don't bring money.  While I'm sure it'll be OK, there was a case in another hospital in Australia where a nurse lifted $20 from a patient's wallet while he was out of the room.  You can bring just enough to pay your health fund excess to the admissions nurse, or you can pay that on EFTPOS or Credit Card.

I hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
Athenaowl21
Athenaowl21

Female
Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2014-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptySat 01 Nov 2014, 11:13 pm

Hi Randall. Canberra Barriatric? Dr Gananadha is doing mine in 9 days!! Eek!! 

If you don't mind me asking what hospital did you go through? I'm going to Calvary at Bruce. Babies aside, I've never been in hospital and I'm wondering what it's like. Did you need anything in particular?

Congrats on your progress so far-it's very encouraging!
Back to top Go down
thumper_m109

Male

PostSubject: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. EmptySat 01 Nov 2014, 11:02 pm

Name's Randall. I had my surgery in Sept and have lost 27 kilos since I started this journey. I'm 50 next year and have been an a type 2 diabetic since 1990. My endocrinologist has been pushing me to get the surgery since I went on insulin 7 years ago. 

I should have listened then, but being a stubborn male, it took time to come round. My goal is to get off the insulin, and at the current rate it look achievable. 

I was lucky enough to be a Bupa member and have the hospital side of the costs covered by them. Made life a lot easier affording the rest. 

I am interested in reading all your stories and learning how you all cope. I have a lot of questions, but will read the forums before launching into them. 

Be well.

Randall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Canberra.   Hello from Canberra. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Canberra.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: