Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8 days post op and really need some help please.

Go down 
+2
chrisbychic
njochara
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

8 days post op and really need some help please. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 6:11 pm

yes
no pushing or lifting for at least 2 months. have a rest and live it up while you can
Back to top Go down
njochara
njochara

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 1:11 pm

does the hoover count as lifting ......... lol
xx
Back to top Go down
pissylissy

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 12:14 pm

"...fresh carrots, apples, celery, beetroot, mint and ginger..." that sounds delicious!

I need to remember that I will no longer be able to drink or eat even a fraction of what I do now. God I am in for a shock aren't I...Thanks for reminding me about the protein.

Last edited by pissylissy on Tue 02 Jun 2009, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 7:34 am

I was planning on bringing out my juicer too. Just for the energy hit. I don't imagine there would be any problem stomach wise with fresh juiced fruit and veg. Everyone seems to manage apple juice OK straight up so I don't see a problem with it.

I agree though that you need your protein so mix some powder into it if you can. Or just make sure you get your protein hit in another form during the day.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I will have to go and stock up on some fresh carrots, apples, celery, beetroot, mint and ginger. My favourite tipple. Yummy.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 5:56 am

Good nourishment but no protein. You'd have to find a way to get protein in. I was able to have V8 vege juice right away (on liquids) so doubt that any juiced veges would be a problem

But you do need protein, so perhaps look at adding protein powder to it, or having something protein-ish with it.

But of course everyone is different - just have to try it I guess!

Caz
Back to top Go down
pissylissy

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 5:51 am

Has anyone tried juicing? I think that is one way to get great nutrition, antioxidents and fiber...but wonder if the sleeve can tolerate raw fruits and veggies.
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 5:03 am

so good to hear your feeling so much more normal
just don't go lifting
Back to top Go down
njochara
njochara

Female

PostSubject: update :)   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyTue 02 Jun 2009, 1:42 am

Hiya,
thanks fadding away I am ok.
My husband works with the surgeons 8 days post op and really need some help please. 21984 who did my vsg and he spoke to them today for an update lol. I have to stay on liquids for another 3 weeks >< there is only so much soup you want lol. I have found sitting up rigid straight a benefit when I am eating and am starting to notice more when I am full. I am drinking lots and got through 2 pints of milk tonight. and a pint of sugar free squash today. and have had 150mls of custard and for dinner had 200mls of sieved soup. The dr's are happy with my progress and have said i can drink and drink as this just goes straight through my sleeve and wont stretch it. I am starving almost all the time >< within an hour of my soup im starving again, but apparently the hormone coming out and it should settle fingers crossed eh lol. The milk made me feel full ish tonight so that was good.
I am still very sore but much better than I was i can now manage to lay on my ''good'' side which is nice as I usually sleep on my stomach so I am half way there lol.
HUGS to all

nicola xx
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptySat 30 May 2009, 4:49 am

So how are you feeling?
Back to top Go down
njochara
njochara

Female

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyThu 28 May 2009, 10:31 pm

Thank you everyone
for your kind words and advice

nicola
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyThu 28 May 2009, 8:49 pm

gee 8 days out and eating so much. I know it is hard to get your head around eating so little but you are amazed how little you need, I am I know that . On how this tiny amount of food is all I need to survive.It my sake you realise how I got to pre op in the first place.
Measure out 1/4 cup no more sip on it over1/2 hour at least. You don't want to stretch your stomach .When you start with food do this also.I still measure most foods, 15months post op.
drinking should stop 1/2 hour either way of food.
When you start on mushy foods, start on anything that will go up a straw then go more thicker over about 6 weeks or so. You will find that gravy /sauces are your new best friend.All foods must be sloppy so they glide down. I would stay away from sandwiches for a long time as the bread swells up and that's is not good at all.
Chew very slowly real with a tea spoon so you are slowed down also.
sip sip sip on water all day have a bottle with you. tiny sips al day. 8 days out about 50-75 mils a day 5 mils=1 teaspoon
Also I do hope that yore taking vitamins
if not start today and take a hair skin and nails one too.
chat soon keep us informed
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyThu 28 May 2009, 5:04 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you.

I'm 11 days post op and have just started on the mushie phase. If you're tolerating 250mls at one sitting I would try the mushies at 100mls to start with and see how you go. This is basically any food you like but pureed up. For example if you were having a casserole for dinner then just take out some of the vegies, meat and gravy and blend with a stick mixer. Start out fairly runny and build up from there. Any puree can be thinned out with milk, water, stock, instant gravies etc depending on what it is you're eating. Once you move onto the thicker quantities you can try this forums favourite treat....the cruskit.....because once chewed these dissolve in your mouth but first provide that lovely crunch we're all dying for after the liquid phase!! Spread it with some protein, tuna spread, one of those flavoured tunas, flavoured cream cheese, cottage cheese, mashed sardines anything mushy. Vegemite is another good one.

I do have a dietician but her advice and her booklets contradict themselves so I have taken the lead from some of the ladies on here. I have been starving for basically 10 days and I'm hoping by moving onto something with more substance I will feel a lot better for it. I'm also upping my protein intake and putting that damned protein powder into everything today. Put a 25g scoop into my already protein enriched porridge this morning so I'm feeling

Hope this has helped you a bit njochara. Just ask away if you have any more questions.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyThu 28 May 2009, 12:35 am

Hi there

I would suggest taking a look at people's diaries. A lot of us (I know I did) wrote down exactly what we had to eat/drink immediately post op. It would give you a great idea of what you can have.

The important thing is to make sure you have as much protein as possible!

Good luck
Caz
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyWed 27 May 2009, 11:54 pm

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.
I'm very sorry to hear that you've had no proper instructions from your doctor, but would encourage you to call him/her to discuss your needs.
There is a thread on this forum for post-op diet, and if you read through this you will find some very useful information.
As a general guide:
If you're managing 250ml per meal at 8 days out, you're doing well. I would suggest not trying to increase that, and suggest that as you start eating thicker foods, you may be able to have much less at one time. My doc says you can drink up until you eat, but not for 1/2 hour after food. However I find that if I do that, I can't eat as much, so I try to stop drinking 1/2 hour before as well. But while you're on a liquid diet, I don't think it makes much difference - except that you won't be able to fit it in!
You might like to buy yourself some benefibre to help with your bowels - 9 days is a long time, even though you're not eating much.
And what about some soup that you make yourself? You could just have the liquid at this stage, and puree the rest and put it in the freezer for when you move on to the next stage - mushies. But take a look at the post op section, and you'll get lots of ideas.
Best of luck, and please let us know how you go.
Chris
Back to top Go down
njochara
njochara

Female

PostSubject: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. EmptyWed 27 May 2009, 11:36 pm

Hi everyone
I hope this message finds you all well.
I am 8 days post op and on the liquid diet.
The problem I am having is that I dont know what I can and cant eat and the amounts.
The hospital have not given me any diet info and I have not seen a dietitian.
I am eating weight watchers soup and normal flavoured custards and thats it, I will have either or, 3 times a day.
I am managing anout 250mls per meal, is this enough ? is it too much ?? should I be eating less. (750mls of food a day)
I am not drinking for 15 mins before soup or custard or for 1 hour after, is this right ??
I am also having 30mls of calogen a day which is a malnutrition drink.

I have had very little advice off the hospital and really dont know where to begin, I am back to clinic in 3 weeks I also have not opened my bowels for 9 days.

I WOULD BE VERY VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE

many thanks
nicola
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8 days post op and really need some help please.   8 days post op and really need some help please. Empty

Back to top Go down

8 days post op and really need some help please.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: