Help needed with the whole process!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
QuirkyQuaintrelle
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 895
Registration date : 2014-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with the whole process!   Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:31 am

Good luck Littleblackcat! I'm in the midst of this process myself and it's a bit nerve wracking. Will they pay or won't they? I rang last week to check on the progress of my claim and they told me to call tomorrow and they should be able to advise yea or nay over the phone. Got everything crossed there's no drama as my surgery is booked for 16 October!

Best of luck to you xo
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/TheQuirkyQuaintrelle
Little black cat

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with the whole process!   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 3:49 pm

PC, you're a legend with this advice. Truly, thank you. I'll triple check all my figures, and you're right that it all needs to be very accurate. That shouldn't be a problem as we live pretty much with nothing left once all bills etc are paid. My car isn't worth anything and I'm finally able to be thankful of the credit card debt lol. I will take an extra day or two to really go over everything, rather than rush it in. A day here may save weeks later.

My surgeon hasn't included the dietician fees and medications as part of his letter. I wonder if it would be ok for the gp to do this, as she will actually be managing and referring me for all that stuff. The other dr just does his surgery and follow up. He's a no frills guy, haha.

So much to do... Thanks again, PC :)
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with the whole process!   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 1:33 pm

Little black cat wrote:
I don't work, haven't for years because of kids and things so I don't have a substantial fund. Just a few thousand, but enough to cover surgery. I'm really worried this will cause me to be declined. 

I've got the letter from my surgeon outlining his and the anaesthetist fees. Tomorrow I'm seeing the GP for the letter saying how I'll die and all that. Should she list all my health complications? I've got the 10 page form I printed from Human Services. I'll copy my drivers licence.  Do I send ALL of this information, including 100 points of ID to the ERSB in Tuggeranong?

They approve and I then send it to my super fund? And the wait is going to be weeks, right? Ugh. I may lose a few kilos from stress alone!

Having no income actually helps your cause.  Debts help more.

The GP's letter doesn't really need to elaborate, but a few brief notes could help.  Ultimately the bureaucrats aren't doctors and they have to work on the conclusions the qualified experts have written and put their signature and letterhead against.  What she needs to say is that you have a life threatening condition (nb: she can't qualify those words), and that the procedure you need is not available in the public system.  Show her the letter from the surgeon, it's pretty much what the GP has to say too.

DHS takes about 4 weeks to decide.  They say 2, but every public service function is having its staff cut and is struggling just now, whereas the legislation that they work within either stays the same or gets more complex.  Ensure you proof read everything, dot every i, cross every t, and make sure the sums add up, before you seal that envelope.  Your sellable assets plus 12 months income minus 12 months expenses must not be enough to cover the cost of the surgery.  The cost of the surgery is something you ought to estimate too.

Don't lie.  Never lie.  Not even a lie of omission.  However, if you remember to list every last thing that supports your case within their guidelines, the truth can help you more than any lie ever could.  You need to list more than just the surgeon and anaesthetist's fees.  You saw a GP who presumably charged you a gap, more than once.  You saw a dietician.  You'll probably have to pay the excess as specified on your health insurance when you're admitted to hospital.  You'll probably have to spend $100-120 on meds upon discharge - get an estimate from the surgeon's receptionist - in writing.

If DHS wants more information, they'll tell you.  The 4 weeks or thereabouts will start from the beginning once the revised paperwork arrives.  Make sure you get it right the first time.  Ensure every copy that needs to be witnessed is witnessed.

If they approve it, they send you a letter in the snail mail.  You then have to forward that letter, with a withdrawal form, and presumably also ID, into the super fund.

Remember you have to pay tax on the withdrawal.  That tax comes out of the super fund too.  If you're trying to withdraw $8k you can expect almost $11k to drop out of the fund.  If there's not much in the super fund to begin with, keep that in mind.  You might come out a little short if the withdrawal plus taxes is greater than the balance.
Back to top Go down
Little black cat

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-09-08

PostSubject: Help needed with the whole process!   Sun 28 Sep 2014, 11:29 am

I don't work, haven't for years because of kids and things so I don't have a substantial fund. Just a few thousand, but enough to cover surgery. I'm really worried this will cause me to be declined. 

I've got the letter from my surgeon outlining his and the anaesthetist fees. Tomorrow I'm seeing the GP for the letter saying how I'll die and all that. Should she list all my health complications? I've got the 10 page form I printed from Human Services. I'll copy my drivers licence.  Do I send ALL of this information, including 100 points of ID to the ERSB in Tuggeranong?

They approve and I then send it to my super fund? And the wait is going to be weeks, right? Ugh. I may lose a few kilos from stress alone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with the whole process!   

Back to top Go down

Help needed with the whole process!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Accessing your Superannuation-
Jump to: