Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?

Go down 
+4
MrMick
PC
Ellio17
always_sparkles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male
Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2014-06-15

Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyMon 22 Sep 2014, 2:39 pm

Ellio17 wrote:
Im just wondering how I would put the "my fitness pal" thingo on the bottom of my site, and even the ticker(?) thingo..
Can you help with that.

Sure.  You go to www.myfitnesspal.com and log in.  You then go to Apps -> Tickers.  You find or set up a ticker that shows what you want shown (actual weight, weight lost, whatever).  You then use the link that says Get the code for your ticker.  This is a phpBB board, so you need the BBcode.  Copy the entire box.

Then go into this site, click Profile -> Signature, and you paste the BBcode within the signature box, at whatever spot in the signature you want the ticker to show up.

The BBcode references myfitnesspal.com every time a web page with that ticker is loaded or refreshed.  If you then update your weight in that app or on that website, then every subsequent time someone loads the website, they'll get presented with your current progress.  It's a really elegant way of reporting your progress and being held accountable for it in front of your peers.
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyMon 22 Sep 2014, 2:30 pm

Hey PC,
Im just wondering how I would put the "my fitness pal" thingo on the bottom of my site, and even the ticker(?) thingo..
Can you help with that.

Cheers,

Elly
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyMon 22 Sep 2014, 2:02 pm

Actually I think what you got (small servings, as much protein as possible) is actually good advice.  You're not physically going to be able to eat too much protein, so eating as much as you possibly can is perhaps better than aiming for arbitrary targets off a photocopy.

I know this stuff because I used to believe it was as important for weight loss as long cardio workouts at the gym.  Ultimately it is important, but there's a lot more going on in our heads and in our hormones that prevent this strategy from succeeding without a little bit of help.

The nutritionist I saw pre-op at Canberra Bariatric gave me some guidelines and he immediately revised the protein count upwards (from what it says on the literature he gave me) due to my size.  Protein requirements are variable based on gender, age, and (healthy) weight.  Not everyone who passes through his office already used MyFitnessPal to track calories, macros (macronutrients) and exercise.  Those that do often don't understand it.  I did, so we could talk specifics every now and again (despite my not having a pen handy).  If you don't already know this stuff when you see him, he's not going to have the time to both explain it all to you and then go through the guidelines that you need to successfully get through surgery.  That involves a lot of reading, which can be done online.

I got given no target whatsoever for calories.  It's just common sense not to starve yourself.  My typical day is 900-1300 calories now that I'm on soft foods, and I'm comfortable at that level (if a bit light headed sometimes).

I got given no specific target for carbs, except that his eyes lit up when I said I added a small scoop of ground oats (a source of carbs and fibre) to my protein shakes.  Not that I add much.

I got given targets for protein and fluids.  Ultimately those are the ones you need to worry about in the first month post-op when everything is difficult.  Once you transition to a normal diet, if you make healthy food choices, the restriction from the sleeve will stop you from overdoing things and you'll just land somewhere healthy. 

Personally I will probably keep tracking all of the above, for at least the first year post-op, or until I'm settled at my goal weight, just so I can look back at the evidence and the results.

And for the record, if you can imagine yourself at a healthy body weight, multiply that healthy body weight in kg by 0.8 for protein requirement in grams per day if you are sedentary, 1.2 for endurance activity (of which I suppose this surgery is) and 1.7 for heavy strength training (bodybuilders - not really relevant here - unless you have a day of heavy farm labour coming up).  That's not his advice, I actually forgot what he said and didn't write it down, but this is just what I recall and what I just double checked via Dr Google.

Last edited by PC on Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RuralGirl5
RuralGirl5

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyMon 22 Sep 2014, 1:35 pm

Starting to think my nutritionist isn't that good, hadn't told me any of this just a prnt out of week one to six, clear liquids through to soft foods etc.  no mention of anything except I should eat about 1/4 of a bread and butter plate or 1/2 to a cup of soup. And as much protein as I can. 

Doesn't help I'm rural and won't now see her for 3-4 weeks. 

Hmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyMon 22 Sep 2014, 11:51 am

Protein: Ignore the % and just aim for however many grams your nutritionist told you to aim for (presumably 60-80 grams a day) (I aim for 80-90 but that's because of my size).

Calories: Same as protein - ignore the % and aim for what your nutritionist told you to (presumably 600-1000 calories a day).

Carbs: As little as possible, though try and ensure the sugars number is substantially lower (in actual numbers) than the total carbs number.

Fat: People used to care about this number until it was realised that fats contain fat soluble vitamins and suppress appetite.  You don't need much but you do need some.  Don't worry too much about this number or % assuming you're making healthy food choices.

Vitamins and Minerals: Aim for >100% but remember not every food has this listed correctly.  I've come across orange juice entries that don't have any Vitamin C listed!  Keep an open eye when adding food entries, and an open mind when interpreting the results.  Also remember some vitamins go straight through you (eg: C) whereas others accumulate.  You need to keep C up regardless of your health, but you can go a few weeks without a good source of Iron (and you probably did after the surgery).

Remember, healthy food choices means meat, poultry, dairy, eggs, vegetables, lentils, beans, nuts (ideally not the roasted kind), and a tiny little bit of fruit.  Try and avoid all grains except for ancient grains (the new gluten free weet bix, made from sorghum, are amazingly refreshing).  Not only are modern grains empty calories, they screw with your head and make you hungry.  Especially avoid starchy food (rice, potatoes, corn, pasta and other wheat products), doubly so if they're white.  They're added to meals for extra calories and as a filler, and post-op you don't need either.
Back to top Go down
RuralGirl5
RuralGirl5

Female
Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-06-13

PostSubject: Set up   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyMon 22 Sep 2014, 11:34 am

Does anyone know what % ages we should be using ? Protein, carbs, fat ? I'd like to set mine up but have no idea also about what calories as well.  I'm 4 weeks post op and lost 10 kgs, but seem to be a bit hungry  - not a lot , and I hope that will changeas I can introduce more foods.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: Thank you   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptySat 20 Sep 2014, 7:11 am

Thanks for that Tumultuous-tara, I have done that...hooray. Not quite sure what to set my calories at but it will be useful for the protein.
Back to top Go down
sleeverella
sleeverella

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2014-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 11:50 am

Thank you so very much tumultuous-tara!!
Back to top Go down
tumultuous-tara
Part of the furniture
tumultuous-tara

Female
Number of posts : 793
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 11:21 am

Willowgirl wrote:
Isn't it annoying though that it keeps coming up with a message at the end to say that you haven't reached the required amount of calories? It would be great if you could change this to a lower amount. It certainly is a great App. though and I used it all the time pre sleeve.

Check out my blog if interested: http://willowgirl62.blogspot.com.au/

Hi there,

You can easily adjust your daily calorie (and nutrient) totals on MFP.

Go to the tab GOAL
Then CHANGE GOALS
Then CUSTOM
And voila all done.

Hope this helps.

Tara
Back to top Go down
sleeverella
sleeverella

Female
Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2014-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 11:17 am

I use it synced with fitbit which is great coz it just sorts my exercise & cals burned out for me.  But, yeah it is a pain that you can't set your own calorie goal for the day. 
The other thing I've found is that the nutrition database is a bit USA.  I prefer calorie king and wish that I could choose it as the database.  Also, I've had a few things that were member loaded and not correct or incomplete.  So watch out for this one.
Back to top Go down
Willowgirl
Part of the furniture
Willowgirl

Female
Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2014-06-23

PostSubject: My Fitness Pal   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 19 Sep 2014, 10:58 am

Isn't it annoying though that it keeps coming up with a message at the end to say that you haven't reached the required amount of calories? It would be great if you could change this to a lower amount. It certainly is a great App. though and I used it all the time pre sleeve.

Check out my blog if interested: http://willowgirl62.blogspot.com.au/
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptySat 06 Sep 2014, 11:54 pm

Thanks guys. I signed in there last night...
What a great site... heaps of reading there as well.. was still awake at 1am reading..
i think i have done like 28 days straight on it...
Back to top Go down
MrMick
Part of the furniture
MrMick

Male
Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 5:24 am

I use it everyday without fail , my current streak is 160 days. I find it invaluable to try and balance my daily nutrition and stay on track. The bar code scanner for food in the phone ap is terrific I can even scan the barcode on my galaxy gear watch and add to myfitness pal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lawnmowingbrisbane.com
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 4:38 am

Ok, thanks PC.. what would we do wothout ya!
Back to top Go down
PC
Part of the furniture
PC

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 3:13 am

It's a website - myfitnesspal.com - you just go there and sign in with the same credentials you used when you set up the account on the phone.
Back to top Go down
Ellio17
Part of the furniture

Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 2:40 am

I am using it on my phone. I didn't know that you can link it up to the computer, and other ppl,
I have just been keeping a record of all my food I have been eating, only eating about between 400-500 k a day...
Yesterday and today I have been adding some protein to my porridge, that is 27gm a scoop and there is no taste to it at all.
How do I link  it to my computer?
Back to top Go down
always_sparkles

Female
Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2014-06-03

PostSubject: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? EmptyFri 05 Sep 2014, 1:33 am

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone else is using myfitnesspal to track everything? I used it before and found it really useful... Same username if anyone wants a friend?! Lol

xxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?   Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone using MyFitnessPal.com to track nutrition?
Page 1 of 1