19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Neens

Female
Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-04-14

Toilet time.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 7:21 am

First topic message reminder :

Toilet time.... - Page 2 697586 
Hi,
It's now 4 days post op for me and I haven't been to the toilet.  I am on liquids and haven't been getting much in.
I did get my period the day of surgery and the hepryn needles have messed with that but I'm starting to get a little worried now.
I'm passing wind and don't feel the need to go. Is it ok to take a laxative or something?
Did any one else encounter this?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
meg_82

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2014-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptyThu 08 Jan 2015, 5:08 am

I am suffering even before the surgery... I have abused diuretics in the past for weight loss so am a little bit scared to have this happen. But oh well. I will do what I have to do.
Back to top Go down
http://myfancysleeve.wordpress.com
MissAP

Female
Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2014-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptyThu 19 Jun 2014, 4:35 pm

I really appreciate this thread.
I am uncomfortable in my upper GI area and a little bubbly/gurgly.
I am pretty much day 3 post up and haven't had a bowel movement.
Prior to surgery with the flying I did to get back home I didn't go for 2 days. Then the morning of surgery I did go but it wasn't that much.

The surgeon seemed to think my occasional pain/ discomfort was from requiring cleaning out my "plumbing" as they called it. 
I have had 1 while cup if pear juice while on the ward today and I bought some more on my way home today.

I was woken again tonight to the same pains, so have been sitting up for the past hour or so drinking pear juice (yes at 1am!) in an attempt to get it moving. I have had no problems with passing flattus though!

Ahh I just want to feel comfortable!
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptyFri 16 May 2014, 6:19 am

I'm with Tonnibubble on this one I used dulcolax did it only last night because I was plugged up for days it is gentle it works overnight I now have tiny tabs at home here just in case.

Having said that I didn't go for 2 weeks after the operation and even then it was not a good showing my Dr told me it was a case of nothing in nothing out.  I didn't use much of the fibre drinks either in the early days because if your water intake is low it can block you up rather then empty the bowel so be careful of that if you fluids are low.

I think overall even if you did go everyday pre op remember the nothing in nothing out so don't panic especially not at this stage.  Alas I have had dicky bowels from the beginning and they are still hard to pick 12mths post.  I like prune juice and if you read most apple juice labels you will see many of them have pear juice in them just remember to go for unsweetened ones and make sure they are 100% juice not these ones that say fruit drink.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 May 2014, 9:04 am

Neens wrote:
Thanks everyone!!
I decided to take a sennokot last night....bad decision! Felt like my guts was doing backflips. I did manage to go to the toilet, however,  it was definately more liquid than solid!!
Struggling to eat anything or drink for that matter!
Sticking with icy poles, apple juice and water.
Not sure what else to try as I'm struggling with up n go, opti and sustagen

Your reaction is completely normal :-)

Having a bit of dairy intolerance after the surgery is normal too.  Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't so might be worth trying out some variations.  I have found the closest tasting to normal milk is Vitasoy Light Milky.  It doesn't have a yucky aftertaste like So Good. Almond Milk is also very good, but I only like Australian Organics.  Worse case, you can have your protein powder mixed with just water, just add a touch more powder, some ice and any flavourings from milo or coffee (even decaf) to berries to thicken it up as it's important to keep your protein levels up.  I only drink Musashi protein powder as found the others made me nauseated.

For hydration, apple juice is pretty high in natural sugar content so can dehydrate you with added calories.  Hydralite drinks plus their icy poles are a better alternative.  Plus sports drinks.  Powerade also have some sugar free versions which I can't taste the difference.  Also try water with cut up fresh fruit like apples etc.  It adds an extra bit of flavouring helping the water go down easier :-)
Back to top Go down
Alana-Kay
Alana-Kay

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 1:48 pm

Hi all, I didn't even know that pear juice helped with regularity, my mum got me some for post op and I just love it. So that's a plus it helps with other things haha. I just wish it was available in bottles or something, it's weird that it's in a can :S
Back to top Go down
http://yourethepretender.blogspot.com.au/
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 10:43 am

Yes, my husband has had it before.  It is in the juice aisle of the supermarket. I think the one we got was in an aluminium can (1 litre) but different brands probably offer different sizes.

Prune juice is good too. I just don't want to over excite my insides.

I think I'm just freaking out because before surgery I was a 'daily' girl and not going for 4 days was weird. I really don't think there is anything to come out!!!

Feeling a little better, just watered down a vege soup and blended it. Tummy feels full on so little but hopefully it was nutritious enough to make poop!

Lol TMI alright!  Oh dear....this is such a learning curve!
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female
Number of posts : 1477
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 10:38 am

Shouldn't be too difficult arna, the one I get is made by Goulburn Valley, it comes in an 850 ml can, and my local Woolies stocks it with the Apricot Nectar.
Back to top Go down
arna
Part of the furniture
arna

Female
Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 10:32 am

is pear juice easy to buy?
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 10:00 am

Icy Poles are a lifesaver. Not only are they liquid, but you can chew them! I couldn't handle opti, up n go, or sustagen post op, way too rich, and the up n go did end up turning into a laxative for me, and in only half an hour from trying to drink it, to the end result! So I went to the soups, drinking yoghurt and drinking custard.

If you're handling juices ok, get some pear juice! Little Miss Cee told me about that, omg.. it also works a treat to get things moving.
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 9:35 am

I loved lemonade ice blocks the first few weeks, I found them so refreshing. A little cool for them today though. Maybe try some watery soup? I didn't feel like eating much at all the first week or so, it does get better :)
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 9:32 am

Thanks everyone!!
I decided to take a sennokot last night....bad decision! Felt like my guts was doing backflips. I did manage to go to the toilet, however,  it was definately more liquid than solid!!
Struggling to eat anything or drink for that matter!
Sticking with icy poles, apple juice and water.
Not sure what else to try as I'm struggling with up n go, opti and sustagen
Back to top Go down
TeaBreeze
Part of the furniture
TeaBreeze

Female
Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 7:25 am

I'm on day 5 today and went to the toilet for the first time to poop this morning. I was having a little happy dance afterwards.

My Mum seems to think it's because yesterday I had a bit more protein in my liquids than other days (yesterday I had more milk and yoghurt as opposed to just juice, black tea, water etc) so I had something to pass other than wee.

I didn't necessarily expect it to happen so quickly and I'm glad it wasn't a horrible experience.

I wouldn't take anything just yet, maybe keep an eye on your liquids, make sure you're getting a bit of protein in and wait it out. I think you'd probably become concerned if you feel the need to go but can't, then consider taking something.
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySun 04 May 2014, 5:00 am

After not going for 10 days after the sleeve op, and having terrible stomach pains, I took Dulcolax drops. I went the following morning & felt so much better & the pain stopped as well. :)
Back to top Go down
WondaWendy
Top Poster
Top Poster
WondaWendy

Female
Number of posts : 1258
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 10:32 pm

Hi, I haven't been sleeved yet but have had 6 other surgeries.  I do remember noticing how long it was before this "function" showed itself - I also remember being worried and wondering if it was normal so or if I was going to end up with a problem, however, each time it was fine.  So unless you are feeling pain or discomfort, I would agree with Garfield that it might be a little too early to be taking any over the counter stuff.
Back to top Go down
Garfield99
Part of the furniture
Garfield99

Female
Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2012-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 5:04 pm

Personally I think you are too early to be taking anything just yet but best to speak to your surgeon if you are at all concerned.  You are still on liquids so probably don't have anything to pass and also you will find all motions will reduce from daily to weekly for some, even when you are on food as your portion sizes are so much smaller.

There are a variety of options available at the chemist depending on the situation.  For Wenchiepooh, I would of recommended a suppository style type one (I can't remember the name) but it works pretty quickly and painlessly so you are not ripping yourself a new one and stuck there for hours on end!!  Once you have gone through a few of those (and unfortunately it is never a once off) you will learn to ensure you drink more fluids EVERY DAY!!  LOL

Obviously there are plenty of others that are gentle but can vary in their times as to when they will work despite what the packet says - it could end up being the next day, but remember to drink loads of fluids when taking these too as they absorb whatever fluid from the body to help things pass softly.  Also your reaction could vary - so it might end up being an explosive situation so stay close to home :-)

Welcome to the sleeved side where nothing is TMI!  LOL
Back to top Go down
Lizzy.
Lizzy.

Female

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 2:11 pm

Absolutely take stuff! But make it nice, gentle stuff. I second the Coloxyl with Senna and the pear juice.

I had an evening where I promise you, pooping was such a harrowing experience, I ended up with bum grapes and a loss of 900 grams after pooping. I think that was a combination of the poop, plus an awful lot of sweat and tears. I was sitting on the loo for three freaking hours.

Back to top Go down
PlanB
PlanB

Female
Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2014-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 8:11 am

they offered my coloxyl tablets in hospital so I am guessing its fine. I have struggled to know when its a problem and when it is just... well... there is nothing to come out. Have started adding benefibre to my breakfast and have some pear juice in the fridge. I think it is starting to get better now that I am actually eating. But remember your boddy had a lot more to process before so it will take a while for it to adjust.
Back to top Go down
Neens

Female

PostSubject: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 EmptySat 03 May 2014, 7:21 am

Toilet time.... - Page 2 697586 
Hi,
It's now 4 days post op for me and I haven't been to the toilet.  I am on liquids and haven't been getting much in.
I did get my period the day of surgery and the hepryn needles have messed with that but I'm starting to get a little worried now.
I'm passing wind and don't feel the need to go. Is it ok to take a laxative or something?
Did any one else encounter this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toilet time....   Toilet time.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Toilet time....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2