Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
lak141

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-09-28

Pernicious Anemia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pernicious Anemia   Pernicious Anemia EmptyWed 26 Mar 2014, 12:11 pm

The sleeve surgery removes the part of the stomach that produces intrinsic factor which is necessary to absorb B12 so all post sleevers should be on B12, either injections or sublingual tablets, life long.
Sway you are right in your concerns re PPIs.There is lots of new evidence that they causes B12 deficiency and also magnesium which can cause cardiac arrythmias. I have been testing  these 2 on patients on them long term and am quite alarmed at some of their levels.
Back to top Go down

Pernicious Anemia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pernicious Anemia   Pernicious Anemia EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 11:04 pm

Hi, I don't have an answer to that...sorry.

I can tell you that I have had to have B12 injections going on for 6 years now and I only had the sleeve surgery just over 3 months ago. No one seemed to know why I couldn't absorb B12 but it's my opinion that I started having a problem when I had to start taking PPIs (like Nexium) for reflux.

Back to top Go down
jodie_e

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Pernicious Anemia Empty
PostSubject: Pernicious Anemia   Pernicious Anemia EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 11:33 am

Hello,

I've posted this in the 'other health issues section' but thought I'd put it in here too as I know not everyone reads that section. I'm just wondering if anyone here has been diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia after sleeve surgery?  I was sleeved in 2010 and have just been diagnosed as having it and I'm wondering if it's common post sleeve.  My doctor says that my body is producing antibodies that attack my stomach lining and prevent me from being able to absorb Vitamin B12 which is a little scary.  I'm now on injections for the rest of my life and I am wondering if I was always going to have this or if it is due to the surgery.  My doctor didn't seem to have many answers.  Hoping there is someone else out there going through the same thing.

Cheers,
Jodie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pernicious Anemia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pernicious Anemia   Pernicious Anemia Empty

Back to top Go down

Pernicious Anemia
Page 1 of 1