6 posters
AuthorMessage
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2014-03-10

Newbie from North Brisbane Empty
PostSubject: Appointment with George   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyTue 08 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

Hi Amy

How did your appointment go yesterday?   Did you decide to go ahead and, if so, have you got a surgery date yet?

Cheers, Lyn
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.com.au/justtopquality
Amy17

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyThu 03 Apr 2014, 2:00 am

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging words ! My appointment is next monday and I am set to start this new chapter in my life. I look forward to hearing about everyones successes in the coming future and for all of us to start living again !!
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyTue 01 Apr 2014, 1:34 pm

Kiah wrote:
Good luck everyone! Just wanted to add that George has a reputation as a top gun wrt the sleeve. He's one of the 2 surgeons I consulted when considering this op. I ended up going with Justin Greenslade, simply as I am on the south side. If I lived north side, I would have gone with George without hesitation. They are both excellent surgeons.

I understand the nerves, but just under 2 weeks out from my op I am SO pleased I've done it :)

Best of luck to all.

Thanks Kiah ... always good to hear good reports on your surgeon!   So glad you have had a good result with your operation and I hope it continues to go well for you.

Four weeks to go for me now ... YAH  (I think)  ;-)

Cheers, Lyn
Back to top Go down
Kiah
Part of the furniture
Kiah

Female
Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptySun 30 Mar 2014, 11:41 pm

Good luck everyone! Just wanted to add that George has a reputation as a top gun wrt the sleeve. He's one of the 2 surgeons I consulted when considering this op. I ended up going with Justin Greenslade, simply as I am on the south side. If I lived north side, I would have gone with George without hesitation. They are both excellent surgeons.

I understand the nerves, but just under 2 weeks out from my op I am SO pleased I've done it :)

Best of luck to all.
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptySun 30 Mar 2014, 5:07 pm

Amy17 wrote:
I have just received a phone call earlier today and my appointment with George is able to be brought forward to the 7th of April, excited and anxious as well. I am really looking forward to the changes that are going to be happening in my life in the next couple of months, well really 12 months.

Carla, I'm pleased with your comments, it's the same as what I have been told. I have had a good friend sleeved in January and she speaks so highly of him as well. It's good to know that we're in good hands !!

Hi Amy

Congrats on getting an earlier appointment ... I was also lucky as my original appointment was 26 May and got the cancellation for the 18th March.   So good not to have to wait so long isn't it ... hope it all goes well for you!

Cheers, Lyn
Back to top Go down
Amy17

Female
Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyWed 26 Mar 2014, 10:16 am

I have just received a phone call earlier today and my appointment with George is able to be brought forward to the 7th of April, excited and anxious as well. I am really looking forward to the changes that are going to be happening in my life in the next couple of months, well really 12 months.

Carla, I'm pleased with your comments, it's the same as what I have been told. I have had a good friend sleeved in January and she speaks so highly of him as well. It's good to know that we're in good hands !!
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm

mcwitch wrote:
I would love to hear how you go, with the dietician and with the big day.

I work at the RBWH and all of my medical colleagues say that George is one of the best in Brisbane.  Admittedly I found him to be quite arrogant but in my experience that's fairly typical of surgeons that are renowned...  and typically a good sign  :)

Good luck  :)

Hi Carla

Guess I was lucky and caught him on a good day ;-)

I will let you know how I get on ... always good to get some extra info.  Just a thought, there is a meeting tomorrow night at 6 pm at Aspley for North Brisbane members ... I can't go unfortunately but thought you might be interested ... you can check it out (and invite yourself along I'm sure) at http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/t11694-brisbane-north-get-together?highlight=brisbane+north+support+goup

Cheers, Lyn
Back to top Go down
mcwitch
mcwitch

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyTue 25 Mar 2014, 12:13 pm

I would love to hear how you go, with the dietician and with the big day.

I work at the RBWH and all of my medical colleagues say that George is one of the best in Brisbane.  Admittedly I found him to be quite arrogant but in my experience that's fairly typical of surgeons that are renowned...  and typically a good sign  :)

Good luck  :)
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 10:51 am

mcwitch wrote:
Heya!!

I just had my appointment with George today.  Surgery booked for 30th May.  I am pretty anxious about it, but he seems like he knows what he's doing so that part doesn't worry me.

I hope everything goes well with your surgery!

Hi Carla

Yes George seems very nice and straightforward about the positives and possible negatives.  He certainly has done a lot of the sleeve surgeries (in excess of 1,000) and I have also heard that he is the go-to guy for people who have had complications so I guess we can be about as confident of having a complication-free surgery as anyone.

Its hard not to feel anxious but I guess we have to focus on the positives of the surgery and the success stories ... with me having my op a month before yours, hopefully I will be able to give you some positive feedback that will help allay your fears ... sure hope so!

Good luck with  your prep ... although the first 3-4 days of the intensive Optifast were a bit difficult (head and muscle aches), I am now finding it quite easy ... I have a shake for breakfast, a chocolate bar for lunch (and a salad if hungry), stir fry or grilled vegies for dinner and a dessert or another shake mid-evening. 

Although George said I only needed two weeks' pre-op, I have an enlarged liver so opted to do the full six week prep just to be sure.  I meet with the dietitian on 8th April so can give you more info after that.
Back to top Go down
mcwitch
mcwitch

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 10:09 am

Heya!!

I just had my appointment with George today.  Surgery booked for 30th May.  I am pretty anxious about it, but he seems like he knows what he's doing so that part doesn't worry me.

I hope everything goes well with your surgery!
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyMon 24 Mar 2014, 9:23 am

Saw George on the 18th March and have surgery booked at Holy Spirit on 30th April.  Very nervous about it all but also excited.  Have not been finding the Optifast too much of a hardship and have now lost about 8 kgs and have been able to halve my insulin already so very pleased with that.  By the time I have my surgery I will have had 6 weeks of Optifast so very hopeful that will help make the op a bit easier.

Hope  you are continuing to do well with  your weightloss Alpa and that you have been lucky enough to score a cancellation and have an earlier appointment with your surgeon Mick.
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014, 3:09 am

Great to hear about all the positive changes you have had Alpa ... and to know that there were no probs having the op at 64 (my age now).   Not a fan of lawnmowing but can't wait to get my two horses under saddle again ... they have been on holiday for far too long now!!!!
Back to top Go down
Alpa
Alpa

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re Newbie North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014, 2:46 am

Hi Gunnaclessame thank you  for your kind words I was 64 when I had my operation and now have a spring in my step sat down at any chance I could had trouble doing lawns putting shoes on and a lot more all that has now changed and I certainly feel I have my life back like yourself I knew I had to do something. No regrets at all Regards Alpa
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014, 1:28 am

Hi Mick

I have heard he is very good as well ... amazing how many people have actually had sleeves ... the nurse at my medical centre fessed up when she heard I was considering a sleeve (she is at goal and looks fabulous) ... she had no complications at all and couldn't recommend the surgeon and the op highly enough.  If I hadn't already had the referral/appointment I would have contacted him but I found the post on surgeon's last night and am feeling very reassured now that George is great as well!

I hate the waiting as well and couldn't believe getting the cancellation ... you never know, you may still be lucky enough to get in earlier!    Meanwhile, bring on the Optifast !
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014, 1:21 am

Hi Alpa

Thanks for your feedback on George ... WOW you sure are going well with your weight loss ... congratulations ... you must be thrilled!!   I'm looking forward to losing the weight - been yo yo ing for many years and so over it all ... gets harder to carry the excess weight the older you get so now is the time for me!   Just hope I am not deemed too high risk/unsuitable or something and am able to have the sleeve done ... fingers crossed!

So glad you had no complications after your op and looking forward to hearing all about your progress.  Regards, Lyn
Back to top Go down
MrMick
Part of the furniture
MrMick

Male
Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014, 1:15 am

I'm on the south side going through Dr Michael Hazifotis at Greenslopes, I have asked for a heads up if there is any cancellations all I can do is wait... And I hate waiting ;)
Back to top Go down
http://www.lawnmowingbrisbane.com
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyWed 12 Mar 2014, 1:11 am

Hi Mick

Yes they are very busy ... strangely enough my original appointment was the same day as yours (26th) but I was lucky enough to get a cancellation next Tuesday.   We also have about the same starting weight ... I was 128 before going on Optifast and now down to just over 126 ... have to agree that you are not exactly looking forward to mealtimes ;-)

Are you going to George as well ... if so, I can give you the lowdown on what happens.

Good luck with your prep ... hope it all goes well.
Back to top Go down
MrMick
Part of the furniture
MrMick

Male
Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyTue 11 Mar 2014, 9:04 pm

Hi and Welcome,  glad you're enjoying to Optifast ( well the results from it ;)  ) It's amazing just how many Surgeon's seems to be doing this operation and how booked out they are!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lawnmowingbrisbane.com
Alpa
Alpa

Male
Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re Newbie from Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyTue 11 Mar 2014, 9:01 pm

Hi there I had my operation with George Hopkins in August I found George very good and have had a good run I have lost 40kgs it has changed my life able to do a lot more things now than before operation. Also found shakes and soups very good on them for 6 weeks before operation. All the best for your journey ahead. Regards Alpa
Back to top Go down
gunnaclessame
gunnaclessame

Female

PostSubject: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane EmptyTue 11 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

Hi everyone,   I'm very new to the website and want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences - both good and bad. 

My endocrinologist referred me to Dr George Hopkins at Chermside and I have my first consult with him next Tuesday.  Has anyone else had a sleeve done by him ?  While very excited that I have made this first step (it took me over two months to actually phone for an appointment) I am still feeling very anxious and would love to hear any positive feedback anyone is able to offer.

Dreading the weigh-in next week I began the Optifast Intensive Phase program early and have been thrilled that I have already been able to reduce my insulin and meds ... can't believe the VLCD has made such a difference already !

Looking forward to participating in the forums and sharing in your weight loss journeys with you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from North Brisbane   Newbie from North Brisbane Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from North Brisbane
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: