AuthorMessage
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

What's better for toning? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 5:06 am

Good on you Tarnz, just stick with it, it won't hurt for long and soon enough you'll be upp'ing those weights!
It is good for your thighs, isn't it - all those bloody lunges and weighted squats!
Back to top Go down
tarnz
Part of the furniture
tarnz

Female
Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 07 Mar 2010, 4:58 am

I finally tried a pump class yesterday and oh my the pain today is pretty bad ... but that just
re-inforces how much I need to do this type of exercise especially for my thighs

So I'll be back there on Tuesday ... Im only doing the minimal weights but I did last the whole class lol

Tarnz
Back to top Go down
kxy1983
kxy1983

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySat 06 Mar 2010, 11:05 pm

I have to agree with Peazles, Ladies, don't be scared of bulking up by using weights, you have to do some really serious time in the gym lifting serious weights before you get big size gains, Men work for years to build muscle size, no one can make significant changes to muscle structure in the space of weeks/months without the use of performance enhancers like steroids.

Pump is an excellent way to tone, you will replace fat with muscle, you will look leaner, only problem some might find is your weightloss might slow for a while, this is because muscle weighs more than fat. although the scales might not drop as fast, you will find clothes fitting better (or worse if they are already too big). Resistance training will really help on areas like arms, stomach (you really tense your core muscles when lifting weights) and thighs (gotta do those squats - ouch!!)

Resitance training ( weightlifting, pump etc) is great for toning, but you really should incorporate cardio as well. I wouldn't recommend doing resistance training more than 4 times a week, as your muscles need time to recover after a session. If you are doing weights rather than pump classes, you should focus a session on upper body or lower body, rather than a bit of all round, you will get more targeted results and you will be working that section of your body a lot harder and getting better results for the amount of energy expended, by alternating between upper and lower body in sessions, you give those muscles a better chance to recover, you don't build muscle tissue in the gym, you damage it, and in the next 48-72 hours your body repairs it making the muscle fibres stronger and thicker (don't be scared, you wont turn into Arnie or the Hulk)

If your goal is to tone, you need muscles for that toned look, but you also need muscles to burn calories, you burn energy (carbs, blood sugar, stored fat) to feed your muscles when they are working hard. Having more muscle tissue means you will burn more energy to do the same workout. I have seen women who sit on the treadmill for years and never really make fantastic progress. You need to develop some muscles (lean muscle, not big enormous muscles) in order to burn more fat. Pump is a great way to get started if your not used to doing weights. I understand that curves has a resistance circuit and a cardio circuit (so my mother tells me, Im the wrong gender to see for myself lol). so If you go to curves, start doing the resistance circuit as well, not just the cardio. If your local gym offers pump and rpm, they are the best combo. No gym class will burn the calories like a class of rpm does, No matter who you are, you will hate the first 1 or 2 RPM classes, they will feel like murder, but by the third class you will be addicted, If your new to RPM, you might want to hide up the back where the instructor cant see you, but thats really a bad idea, its not that scary up the front, and your instructor can give you good guidance on your form and technique and really help motivate you to get results. The more resistance training you do, the more results you will get from your cardio, and you will feel lighter and have more spring in your step, simply because your whole body will be stronger and fitter.

To those with knee problems and other injuries, don't be scared of the bike, it all comes down to technique, proper bike position, talk to an RPM instructor, turn up early to class, get him/her to run you through proper bike setup so you can get more efficiency out of your ride and not give yourself injuries. I have horrible knee injuries, but cycling has only improved things. I have made some great friends in the classes, and its a lot of fun. Exercise should be fun, and nothing is better than getting results when you have worked hard for it. If you are getting bored with your training routine, mix it up, try something new, maybe get a personal trainer for just a couple sessions(make sure they have proper qualifications), they can show you new routines that you can do to keep things interesting. Also if your going to hit the weights room, I seriously suggest getting guidance, quickest way to an injury is poor technique and form, Ive seen so many guys join a gym, and just start lifting weights with horrible technique, and they don't last, because they pull muscles, injure their backs, and have long downtimes where they aren't training at all.

The most important thing is to have fun, if you hate your exercise routine, you wont stick to it, you will find that your 4 times a week drops back to 3 or 2, or that rainy day will demotivate you even more, because subconsciously you just don't want to do it, where as when you have fun and get results, nothing will keep you from that class.
Back to top Go down
Peazles
Part of the furniture
Peazles

Female
Number of posts : 1011
Registration date : 2010-02-14

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 14 Feb 2010, 9:36 am

I'm a big person but I'm still right into my gym! If you want to tone, the absolute best thing you can do for yourself is Pump, three - four times a week.
I know a lot of people like their cardio to help with weightloss but I can't stand most of it (boxing aside!). All I do at the gym is free weights (heavy ones, which I love as much as pump) with a trainer three days a week, and pump three days a week. Pump is great fun and in no time at all you will notice your body has toned up - I noticed it with mine and it's still covered in fat! A lot of females get worried about bulking up too, but, because pump is lower weight and higher repetition, you won't build up - you'll just look sleek and fabulous! Give it a few weeks too, you might be very sore after the first few and be tempted to give up on it, stick with it and it'll get addictive!
Best thing you can do is find something you love, makes it easy to stick to.
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female
Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySat 12 Sep 2009, 10:49 am

I agree with you BG, my tummy is unfortunately a lost cause. This has to do with the amount of weight I gained during my pregnancy with my daughter. Unfortunately I think that the only hope for my tummy is some sort of surgery (although I did see a story on Today Tonight a while ago about a "mummy makeover" and it was like a tummy tuck but using lasers instead, so I may look into that).
My arms and legs dont bother me as much, I still wear singlet/tank tops, and well I have no desire to wear itty bitty shorts, but ,my tummy is the one area that really bothers me.
Back to top Go down
lindabinda
Top Poster
Top Poster
lindabinda

Female
Number of posts : 1884
Registration date : 2009-07-31

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyFri 11 Sep 2009, 11:49 pm

Hey mechanic gurl.....go to your profile, then signatures and cut and paste your ticker in there from the ticker page using the bb code.
Back to top Go down
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyFri 11 Sep 2009, 3:35 pm

I've been doing pump for a couple of months 3 times a week and have definately noticed the skin on my thighs and arms is definately tightened up. It's either that or bathing in Palmers Cocoa butter and that Nivea Q10 firming lotion.

But alas my boobs look like two dried up prunes and so do my arm pits - icky. So trying to buy a dress for a friends summer wedding is a chore, that has sleeves that covers that mess up. I'll probably have to go around with my arms glued to my sides - damn it, I won't ba able to go in for the bouquet, I'll have to lift my arms up to catch it - damn it!
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyFri 11 Sep 2009, 9:27 am

I don't have a ticker, but theres some help in general section I think. Age has nothing really to do with it, its about the skin structure itself, Im only 26, and although I was heavier than you, Im still going to have problems, simply because skin is not meant to stretch as much as it has for most of us and shrink back to small again. If you ask the girls who have had children it doesn't matter either, there will always be sag... sad fact of life but we will have our health. :) I'm probably going to end up with arms, boobs, tummy and possibly upper thighs... my tummy isnt as bad as some peoples decriptions of theirs, but its sagging more now already, but my arms are terrible! there will be NO singlet tops for me this summer!
Back to top Go down
Mechanic Gurl

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyFri 11 Sep 2009, 9:21 am

I am only have a few stretch marks, no boils or anything.
I was 127.8 kg when I had surgery.
Does age make a difference? i'm 24
how do you get the ticker to come up each time?

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZ8lFgd/]
What's better for toning? Weight
Back to top Go down
bushgirl
Part of the furniture
bushgirl

Female
Number of posts : 523
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyFri 11 Sep 2009, 9:17 am

there is no cure for saggy skin except surgical removal. Its been stretched a bit like crepe paper, and it damages the skin structure, so it wont shrink. lotion can help a little with appearance, (I know i go thru a 500ml bottle every couple of weeks) but it wont shrink, however if it becomes a problem i.e. documented by visits to a Dr. with rashes/boils/ecsma etc then you can qualify for medicare rebate on plastic surgery because its not technically cosmetic alone, but to stop having the rashes etc. talk to your gp if you have any probs, because there are lotions and powders on script you can use in the meantime if needed, and you may even qualify for a health care card from centrelink
Back to top Go down
Mechanic Gurl

Female
Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-04-25

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyFri 11 Sep 2009, 9:05 am

Have any of you ladies been told the best way to prevent saggy skin?
Is it just exercising and weights? I am worried about my tummy.
I am doing arm weights and sit ups at the moment, with a swim after and I walk the dog 4 times a week.
Should we use a lotion?
Back to top Go down
tracey
Sponsor
tracey

Female
Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 17 May 2009, 10:20 pm

very funny kylie, and deb, after nearly 28 years of marriage i am definately out of the warranty period but i'm more worried about the use by date. he he. maybe i just need to store in a cool dark place.
Back to top Go down
Janey
Sponsor
Janey

Female
Number of posts : 2872
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 17 May 2009, 1:50 pm

Excellent Kylie, you've covered all the bases.

Hugs,
Back to top Go down
Deb
Sponsor
Deb

Female
Number of posts : 1924
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 17 May 2009, 8:56 am

Been a while since my seal has been broken Ha Ha Ha. Think I am way out of the warranty period though.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 17 May 2009, 8:30 am

Welcome back Oma

Did you have a wonderful time?
Back to top Go down
Oma
Oma

Female
Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: What is Pump? Weights?   What's better for toning? EmptySun 17 May 2009, 6:16 am

Hi All,
Just got back from vacation and checked out this site on exercise.
I was working with weights, is that the same thing as pump?
Personal trainer had me use bike to get my heart rate up to areobic heart rate between 130-155, I am age 54. Then She had me doing machine weights and hand weights for upper body (arms, back, shoulders and waist) 3 sets of15 reps each on day 1, yoga day 2, then weights on legs, stomach 3 sets of 15 reps each day on 3rd day, yoga 4th day and then all weights (upper and lower body, done on previous days, with 2 reps of 15 each. We did this for 2 weeks and I started feeling so much better. So she gave me a work out using weights and cardio when I got home. I asked her about curves and she said it is good to get started, but then after a few months, you need to move on to challenge your body to keep burning fat and building muscle.
All, I know is I was 5 weeks out from surgery and I started out slow, but was up and running doing great within 2 weeks. Now have to keep it up at home without that great gym I had on vacation. But motivated now since I saw such great results in two weeks. Not sure I lost weight, but just feeling stronger and better, it's worth it! Do we have to use more lotion daily to avoid or prevent loose skin?
Oma
Back to top Go down
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 1:09 pm

Pump is a great all over firm and toner.

Don't forget the moisturier for the lose skin
Back to top Go down
Denise1971
Denise1971

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 1:07 pm

Hi TP,
You were sleeved about the same time as me, I'm having body scans with the Metabolic doc who wanted me to have the sleeve. He reckons we are at a critical time when we are going to lose muscle more than fat, which looks good on the scales but not for the body.

He recommends working the big muscle groups, especially quads and gluets therefore squats and lunges baby to create buns of steel!! I have to do bent over rows, lat pull downs and shoulder presses to work my back muscles as well.

Good luck with the lunges and squats enjoy sitting on the toilet while you can

cheers Den
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 9:20 am

Tamara, I'd suggest Clinical Pilates, particularly since you have some injuries. It works with your own body weight so it's low impact on joints, and tones your lean muscle so it's good for firming. You can get a routine created and supervised by a physiotherapist, so you don't do yourself any harm. I'm starting at Subi Sports Med at St John of God, but there are heaps of places that offer it. You might need a GP referral for some of them. I'm starting it to help strengthen my core muscles to try and aid my back problems, but also in the hope that it will tone me up a bit. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Back to top Go down
raisedbycats
Part of the furniture
raisedbycats

Female
Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2009-03-02

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 6:33 am

Have you tried yoga? Its great for toning.
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 5:55 am

I have been walking around my estate almost every night, so I purely want to do something to tone up. The normal gym really is a no go for me as I have bad knees and shin splints (so it means that the treadmill, bike and stepper are out for me).

I used to do pump years ago when I had a gym membership and I loved it, that's what made me think of it again.

Pinky I wished we lived closer, then we could go together.

I think that curves is out too, because they dont have a creche and I have no one to watch Lily for me (other than the days that she goes to day care).
Back to top Go down
FaddingAway
Part of the furniture
FaddingAway

Female
Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 5:36 am

local gym ,they have qualified instructors where curves they have no qualifications at all. I sugest a martial arts class for all over work out. Will tone everything.legs ,arms ,bum ,back ,everything
Back to top Go down
Pinkchick
Pinkchick

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 5:28 am

Hi Tickled,
Even though I haven't been sleeved yet (11 sleeps!) I think you should go with body pump. I used to do it and absolutely loved it! My sister is a personal trainer and says that 3 times a week is best and twice a week is okay too. Remember to add some cardio ie walking on the other days. I'm no expert but as soon as I can I will be doing pump after I have been sleeved. Its great for toning up arms,legs, your butt and tum. But be warned make sure the first few times you do it use the lightest weights or just the bar any heavier and you won't be ale to walk! Sitting up and down on the toilet seat is painful! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Pink
Back to top Go down
Tamara
Part of the furniture
Tamara

Female

PostSubject: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? EmptyWed 06 May 2009, 4:34 am

Im hoping that someone will have the magical answer for me What's better for toning? 65317

I am looking at starting doing exercise aimed specifically at toning up my arms and thighs, it will either be at curves or the local gym (where I really only want to do the classes, body pump etc).

So which one do you think would be more beneficial? As I mentioned I really only want to go to help me tone up, not to help me try and lose weight quicker or anything like that.

Thanks
xx
Tamara
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's better for toning?   What's better for toning? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's better for toning?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Exercise-
Jump to: