AuthorMessage
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 3:13 am

Hey again :)

Im on family cover and currently on the lowest cover - hospital advanced savings with general extras plus - which is currently $101 a fortnight.

Without changing cover, premiums will increase to $111 a fortnight anyway.

To change to top cover, and with the premium increase its $150 a fortnight.

So with the changes in premiums, we will be paying an extra $20 a week. Not bad I suppose, will be an extra $320 till my 12 months is up, but when compared to $20k the op is worth, I think its still a pretty good deal :)
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 2:57 am

Good Luck Lessforme!!

the waiting would kill me, but you will be fine!

thanks Swayback. i feel like its worth booking in an appointment any way. that way i have something locked in. in the meantime i can still do further research :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 2:43 am

Casey, I'm from Brisbane so I don't have anyone to recommend any where near you. Maybe this surgeon likes to do lots of pre op investigations, dietitian visits, Opti etc. Three months between visit and surgery doesn't seem too bad. If you have to wait til May to see him...it means he's popular so he must be good.

Lessforme.....eeek! You'll be fine and very soon you'll be on the sleeved side.
Back to top Go down
Lessforme

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 2:19 am

Oh no Casey that's so long to wait!!! I didn't relise that it took that long I just thought it was because I was waiting right in the middle of Christmas/new year. Also what a bugger about your health insurance I would upgrade ASAP 

I'm actually waiting to go to theatre right now, I'm so nervous and just want it over now, he is doing someone else at the moment...
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 2:13 am

thanks Swayback. Becuase  i live in newcastle, there is really only two dr's to choose from. After looking at, and getting several peoples options and Feedback Dr Costa Karihaloo is the best to go to, but i couldnt even get an appointmetn until May, and the receptionst said it always takes a minimum of 3 months from that point!.

its still something ill look into, i may look around the central coast area as well. I just dont want to be too far away from home when getting it done.
i dont want to rush it, but it would be nice not to wait 6 months!

there is not too many people who know im getting it done ( my family, most friends are all skinny crossfit excersie people ) and they just dont get it.

where are you from? any recomendations?

thanks again for the uplifiting thoughts. :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 2:09 am

Oh, please upgrade to the higher cover. A few extra dollars a month will be worth it. Better than going into debt!

It took me two weeks between initial surgeons visit and surgery. You gave a long wait time.
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 1:54 am

Thanks Bumbles!
thats a good idea. I was feeling like " man i can never catch a break"  but you have given me hope :)

do you have an idea how much extra it will cost per month?
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 1:48 am

Hi Caseygrace,

Im with HCF too and in the same boat with changing cover.

If you switch your cover before 30 June to Top Cover (which covers the surgery) you will still be covered after 1 July and wont have to redo your waiting period.

I will be ringing in the 10 days before 30 June and switching over, so Im covered, but not paying extra premiums until I need to :)
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyMon 03 Mar 2014, 1:22 am

A little disappointed today. I got nocked back on a personal loan because of a technicality.
Found out the waiting list is a few months long and then it takes approximately 4 months between initial visit to actual surgery, and my private health funds won't cover the surgery after July :(
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptySat 01 Mar 2014, 2:41 am

When I talk to dr costa I'll ask, but super is an option I don't think I have much super. But I'm considering getting a personal loan. My sister got one for her boob job so I should be right to get one :)

This week has been a long week. I hope u loose the extra grams.
Back to top Go down
Lessforme

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptySat 01 Mar 2014, 1:54 am

Hi again

I don't know for sure if Dr Costa does payment plans but I suppose as long as it's all paid up 2 weeks before surgery it should be fine.

Do you have much super? If you do I'd use that, that's what I did. 

Oh this weekend is dragging I just want to get to Monday and lose another 400grams not sure if I'm going to get that. Still I'm happy with my loss so far.
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyFri 28 Feb 2014, 7:06 am

I'm a member of hcf for a few years. Initially had the plan because it covered sleeve, but then didn't think I could afford It.
I just called them, they weren't as helpful as I thought. But did advise I will need to get it done before July, as my current plan is changing to not include it any more eek!

After a few hours of research Costa looks to be the best in the Newcastle area. I was hoping to keep the gap as low as possible, around $3000 but looks like I'll have to reevaluate :)

Do you happen to know if he has payment plans or if it's a lump sum?

I now just need to book in my appointments :)
Back to top Go down
Lessforme

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyFri 28 Feb 2014, 6:41 am

Hi there

I'm in raymond terrace - not far from you! yes you pay for nearly all appointments I can breakdown all the cost if you like.

Have you had your hcf for a year or more? As that is the first thing 
Next you need to call them and double check they cover this surgery - some don't!!!!

1st appt with dr costa was $150approx $70 back from medicare
Physcologist $230 get about $70 back from private health (if you have extras)
Dietician 1st appointment $55 after private health
Dietician 2nd, 3rd, 4th $30  after private health
Gastroscope (day surgery) all covered medicare/private health
2nd dr appt bulk billed

All theatre/hospital cost covered by private health $10k approx!!!!
Cost of surgery $5000 (paid 2 weeks before surgery)
Assistant surgeon $500 (paid after surgery)
Anaesthetist $1800 approx (paid after surgery)

Do you know you can access your super early to pay for the surgery? 

Does this help? Do you think you will see dr costa?
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyFri 28 Feb 2014, 5:58 am

I'm in Hamilton South!
Thanks so much for the reply.
This may be a silly question, but do all those appointments cost, or do you think my hcf membership will cover it ?

I spoke with my dr a few days ago, he just prescribed me duromine. He said he was all for the surgery but then just joked about the cost, and so I didn't push getting are referral.
Back to top Go down
Lessforme

Female

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyFri 28 Feb 2014, 5:41 am

Hi there nice to meet someone else from newcastle I'm due to have my op on Monday so I'm getting very excited.

Basically you need to go to your gp and a referral to a surgeon I'm seeing dr costa karihaloo he is in Gateshead he works out of Lake Macquarie private and Warner's bay private. 

Then you go along to have an appointment and have a chat to a nurse then dr then he books you in for an gastroscope. You will need to go and have a meeting with a physcologist aswell. Next you meet the dietician then back to discuss gastroscope results and book a formal date for surgery then more appointment with dietician then you will go on optifast for 2-6 weeks. Then you have surgery!!!!! 

I hope that helps let me know if you have an questions I'm happy to help! Also if you have a read in the group of March people you can read my posts of the last few months.

Where abouts are you located? I'd love to meetup and chat (when I'm recovered)
Back to top Go down
Caseygrace101

Female

PostSubject: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  EmptyFri 28 Feb 2014, 5:28 am

Hello everybody!
Wow this sight is amazing. A wealth of knowledge..
I have done a lot of research on the actual procedure, pros/cons e.t.c
However I don't have the slightest idea on where to begin.
I'm 24 living in Newcastle
I am a member of hcf.
Bmi is 46

How do I start the ball rolling. Do I have to get a referral from my dr first, or do I start by talking to surgeons ?

I will appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks everybody :)
X
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle    Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle  Empty

Back to top Go down

Extremely new. Need help. Newcastle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: