AuthorMessage
Ottopia
Part of the furniture
Ottopia

Female
Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2014-01-27

Contraceptive Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptySun 16 Feb 2014, 8:31 pm

I have a Mirena to treat menopause symptoms and it works great. make sure that you get a practitioner who knows how to insert them and then it doesn't hurt. Be aware that if you are over normal weight they may need to consider inserting 2 devices so the progesterone levels are high enough to do the job.
I have had 2 mirenas over 6 years (my first one lasted 4 years before I started spotting) I think they are great.
Back to top Go down
wilkiebarkid
Part of the furniture
wilkiebarkid

Female
Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2013-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptySun 16 Feb 2014, 10:29 am

Thought I might just drop my 2 cents in here.
I work at a Women's hospital and see many people on many different methods of contraception.
There are so many different types of pill, with new ones being released all the time with different concentrations of hormones or differing combinations. For me, I was never compliant with taking the pill at the same time everyday, often forgetting all together resulting in spotting and irregular periods. So personally I use Depo (for the moment) it's convenient for me as I live and work with nurses who are all more than happy to jab me when the three months rolls around. Things to know about Depo - weight gain is a big issue, i gained about 6kgs in the first month I was on it. but - I don't menstruate now, so I was happy with that trade off. I have seen a few mothers coming in who fell pregnant whilst using Depo; also implanon. Which is the implanted version of Depo. same hormone; progesterone. It has very similar side effects. I should mention for about one day a week after I am injected I become emotionally unstable, it ain't pretty. My housemate had an implanon removed in the past year as she was becoming increasingly emotional and depressed, since having it out she has been much much better. With both of these methods there is an increase in decreased mineral density.. which might not be ideal if you are predisposed to osteoporosis or the like.

now for my favourite method - the Mirena - I want one of these. It contains the same hormone (progesterone) but is contained within the uterus, so some of the systemic issues are resolved through this method. not at all pleasant to have put in, BUT stays in for 5 years, and most women see very little (albeit occasionally irregular) bleeding in this time. Not for everyone, as some people dont like the idea of strings at the end of the vagina, but they shouldn't pose any issue during intercourse.

I will hopefully get my Mirena this year.. here is hoping!

I hope this helped a little. If you like you can go to this link https://www.thewomens.org.au/health-information/fact-sheets#c and go to contraception to learn about all the methods out there.

Laura
xx
Back to top Go down
Alana-Kay
Alana-Kay

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptyMon 10 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

Thanks Miss Nik, yeah I think sticking to what I know is the best for now, and Jussinger, that has been my greatest fear with the Pill, I'm 24, 163cms and weigh 134kg's, so I figured if ANYONE was gonna get a clot it'd be me, seeing as my BMI is 50+ x.x
Thanks for the input, guys!

~Alana
Back to top Go down
http://yourethepretender.blogspot.com.au/
Jussinger
Jussinger

Female
Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptySun 09 Feb 2014, 10:29 pm

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth.
I have recently had a 22 cm blood clot in my arm and have had to immediately stop taking my Levlen pill. The pill has a risk of developing blood clots in the overweight. Nice to know NOW after I've bloody lost 40kg!!!  The doctors attribute my clot to the pill and maybe a long 8 hour drive just after Christmas. I was on the pill for 9 years without issue, but it's certainly bit me on the bum now. 
I've decided on the mini pill now until I find something suitable, maybe without hormones.
Back to top Go down
Miss Nik
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2013-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptySun 09 Feb 2014, 7:21 pm

Alana, 

I too am on Levlen ED with no issues. Have taken it back to back with no periods for 7 years and have no problems. 
I think stick with what works 

nik
Back to top Go down
Bellac

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptySun 09 Feb 2014, 1:58 pm

Thanks for your responses. Seeing my GP this week so I'll discuss my options.
Back to top Go down
nightowl

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: contraceptive   Contraceptive Advice EmptySun 09 Feb 2014, 8:42 am

hi Bellac, maybe ask your Dr if you are suitable for a Mirena IUD? I've had nil problems with mine, got it to manage excess bleeding, also provides set-and-forget contraception for 5+ years.
Back to top Go down
rikki35

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptyFri 07 Feb 2014, 9:00 pm

Hi Bellac,

I have the implanon it's been great, the only contraceptive I can use without getting pregnant, I have had no side effects what so ever :)
Back to top Go down
Alana-Kay
Alana-Kay

Female
Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: RE: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptyFri 07 Feb 2014, 2:01 am

Hey all, I've recently been considering changing my methods (Levlen ED pill for going on 8 years with the same partner) and asked my GP about the Depo shot and the Implanon, she told me that I'd probably have issues with weight with the Depo shot, and that if I had issues with the Depo eg: constant bleeding, pain, headaches ect, then I'd have the same issues with the Implanon, except you need to have the Implanon surgically removed :S 
So I think for now, I'll just be sticking to the Pill, because I know how my body works with it, and I love being able to skip my period all together haha sorry for TMI!!

~Alana
Back to top Go down
http://yourethepretender.blogspot.com.au/
Bellac

Female

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptyFri 07 Feb 2014, 12:47 am

Hi rikki35, I've read about the implanon but it looks like there's lots of side effects with it which is why I wasn't sure. Have you used this & was there many of the side effects?
Back to top Go down
rikki35

Female
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptyThu 06 Feb 2014, 8:09 pm

Hi there have you thought about the implanon, there's no weight gain from this and it's pretty much a set and forget.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 11:40 pm

I think it's important to go with what the dr recommends there. It's been a while but I never had problems with 'diane' .. don't know if it's a recommended one anymore though, or there are safer ones now. When my hormones were steady, I had far less cravings. Explain your concerns to the dr would be best.
Back to top Go down
Bellac

Female

PostSubject: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice EmptyTue 04 Feb 2014, 4:33 pm

Hi All, can anyone recommend which contraceptive will be best for not gaining weight or slowing down my weight loss. Haven't used the pill for years & think that depo contributed to my wight gain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Contraceptive Advice   Contraceptive Advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Contraceptive Advice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: Guys, Girls & Relationships :: Secret Women's Business-
Jump to: