Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ulcers - Treatment?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Ulcers - Treatment? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyTue 28 Jan 2014, 12:46 am

Pleased to hear it's starting to feel better.

If I remember correctly as soon as my ulcers started clearing up it healed pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyTue 28 Jan 2014, 12:23 am

Ulcers - Treatment? 446871  Ulcers - Treatment? 446871  Ulcers - Treatment? 446871 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 9:52 pm

I'm pretty pleased to report that the cortisone cream is working - and thanks to your advice Nini I can now pee without crying!
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 9:36 am

Hope some of it helps. It's a bit like all men wince when they see a guy get hit in the balls! We sisters have to look out for each other and our "nether regions" LOL LOL

Good luck
Nini
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 8:57 am

Oh Nini you're an absolute life saver with that little gem of advice....! Not on ural, but will now get myself onto it... Won't touch the downstairs at all with a towel, but I will try a sitz bath.... Not entirely sure where I'm going to get a bucket from (wonder if my wine bucket would work? LOL).... If worse comes to worse I will fill up my bathroom sink and hang on for dear life!

kiss
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 8:25 am

This might be too much information but when you wee try spreading your knees wide and  lean right the way forward, this stops the wee dribbling over the sore bits. It's an old trick for patients who have had operations on their lady bits or tears after child birth. Also you can do a sitz bath (warm water and salt) by sitting those "nether regions" in a large bowl (not elegant but effective and good exercise for your gluts at the same time, LOL). Don't dry with a towel but try a hair dryer set on cool/warm setting. then apply your cream. Do they have you on Ural Sachets for your UTI? It helps to reduce the acid in your wee and  that might help to reduce it's stinging.

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 7:50 am

Went back and saw the medic.... They gave me some steroid cream to put on. The type they've given me is the exact same type I've already got, I use it for when I get really dry sore patches either side of my nose (psoriasis).... And it generally clears up overnight.

Whyyyyyy did I not think of using this before??

Ulcers - Treatment? 68366
Back to top Go down
GeoffN
GeoffN

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 7:48 am

This is going to sound a little odd - try things like Bongela or SM-33 Gel that are intended for mouth ulcers or kids with teething pains, they will numb the ulcers and try to form a protective barrier. The active ingredients in them are a close approximation to aspirin which will help with a broad range of potential bacterial issues and speed the ulcer healing up.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 6:30 am

Unfortunately don't have the option of a bath :(

How long did it take for your ulcers to heal? Or at least for the pain to go away?
Back to top Go down
Tonibubble

Female
Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2013-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 5:57 am

Bepanthen cream is great for when you're sore "down below".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 5:43 am

I'd still try sodium bicarbonate dissolved in water. It's very soothing. When people have anal/genital surgery they have Sitz baths. That just means soaking the area in a salt bath. If you have a bath available, lying in the bath and soaking (for half an hour or so) in a dilute salt or sodium bicarbonate solution should work. You need to do this a couple of times a day.

Years ago I had gynae surgery that got infected and I had the same problem. I used to cry when I peed. Just the chaffing from walking was horrible. Luckily once the cause of the ulcers went away they healed quite fast. However the itch while I was healing was pretty intense too.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 5:29 am

Thanks for the advice. This may be TMI, but unfortunately, yes, they're on the nether regions. I've caused them apparently by too much rubbing (ha - not the dirty kind).... I've got a UTI, and because I'm always busting for a wee, and I'm also always busy at work, I sit on my chair and wiggle back and forth.... Constantly. And all the rubbing has caused ulcers.

But I am rundown, and that's probably not helping.

The thought of putting iodine down there isn't overly appealing. I actually can't even bear to go to the loo right now (the pain is that horrific I honestly thought I was going to vomit this morning when I had my morning wee), let alone put iodine on. I do have numbing cream, but it burns that much when I put it on that I've stopped. The paw paw isn't too bad putting it on, but honestly, I have to be so gentle otherwise I end up shaking and my body goes rigid it hurts that much. That's just for putting cream on, so it means that I can't "dry" things properly when I get out of the shower either :(. I'm so pedantic about personal hygiene I actually got my hair dryer out last night and put it on the cool setting.

Nini, no haven't tried that cream, but will head back up and see the medic this afternoon and see if they have it. At the very least I'll get some canesten cream from them.

I'm wondering if I was to get some gauze or something and put down there (as there's an ulcer each side), would it help... Or at least be more sanitary?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:50 am

The doctor must be considering a viral cause.

If you are generally tired and run down with vitamin deficiencies etc they will raise their opportunistic heads.

I only know that for my mouth and throat ulcers with the feeding tube, I was given sodium bicarbonate rinses alternating with saline rinses and I had to use each one four times a day. It worked surprisingly well.

For body or genital ulcers.......The usual over the counter thing is iodine (ouchie). Dilute some Betadine in warm water and wash. One of my friends swears by putting iodine in the bath water.

I heard a doctor say on TV just the other day that licorice is good for ulcers....I don't know if they meant eating it soothes mouth ulcers or whether it's systemically good for ulcers no matter where they are, but it can't hurt.

Have you been tested for Behcets? It's a condition that affects people in their twenties and can cause ulcers.
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:36 am

You poor thing!

Have you tried Conveen Critic Barrier Cream, which is what our hospital uses for patients with excoriations of the "nether regions". Or possibly Canestan (Clotrimazole) cream, I know you don't have thrush but I have found this cream can be very soothing for other problems as well. Hopefully it will settle down soon for you

Ulcers - Treatment? 217555 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female

PostSubject: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? EmptyMon 27 Jan 2014, 4:22 am

Hi all,

Can someone please share their tips/advice on the best way (prescription and otherwise) to clear an ulcer up? Not the kind that are inside your tum - ones that are on the outside of your body - and very freaking painful.

Right now, I'm using pawpaw ointment (not working), for some reason the doctor has given me shingles medication (no idea why), and I'm also living on panadeine extra - which I'm sure is not healthy.

So any wisdom ANYONE can offer is much appreciated as I'm willing to try any type of pill, ointment or potion I can get my hands on.

LMC x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ulcers - Treatment?   Ulcers - Treatment? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ulcers - Treatment?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: