Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I think I can feel my staples ...

Go down 
AuthorMessage

I think I can feel my staples ... Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think I can feel my staples ...   I think I can feel my staples ... EmptyThu 13 Mar 2014, 5:11 am

aktm have you been to the doctors yet? I recently read a study showing leaks can happen 36 months post op. Bit worrying :(
Back to top Go down
aktm
aktm

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: I think I can feel my staples ...   I think I can feel my staples ... EmptySat 21 Dec 2013, 12:09 am

I have a complaint to lodge for sure, as it's a smallish town I want to find a new doctor first ... I don't particularly want to see her again.  Given the several appointments I've been to, texting is a habit for this one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I think I can feel my staples ...   I think I can feel my staples ... EmptyFri 20 Dec 2013, 3:02 am

Aktm, you need to contact the practice manager of the GP you saw and complain about her texting during your consultation. Even if you were taking longer than the standard consult time, she should have gently told you she has to stick to appointment times and asked you to make a longer appointment next time so she would have time to help you.

She was nothing but a bitch no matter what way you look at it and she needs to have someone complain to her employer about it. They are only employees you know. Would you put up with that from a check out chick, a McDonalds worker, your hairdresser?

If one thing makes me cranky it's doctors with a sense of importance, a holier than thou arrogance.
Back to top Go down
aktm
aktm

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: I think I can feel my staples ...   I think I can feel my staples ... EmptyFri 20 Dec 2013, 1:29 am

I had my surgery in July 2010 and all has gone well, I've lost half the weight needed and in regards to portions sizes, it properly took a year to completely work out portions sizes but the hardest thing was to know when to stop ... if you were raised in my era you had to finish what was on your plate.  One of the first things I did was to buy a few smaller plates - even know I knew I couldn't finish the average size plate, again, habit had me serving a portion to suit that plate, hence the smaller plates ... the final lesson and it was probably the hardest was to realise that I was often full before I felt it or my mind realised it, especially if you see just one or two mouthfuls of food left.

For the past few years I have been doing well but in July life took a massive upheveal with the breakdown of my marriage, which was unexpected and extremely hard, which I would imagine most are.  The second problem was chronic pain resulting in 24/7 shoulder, neck pain and daily migraines, which as you've probably guessed - medication, pills, pills, pills.

I had to move from Sydney to the Grafton area, so its been a bit of a move.  It wasn't long before it started to warm up compared to Sydney and the heat and humidity have never gotten on, so in the past few months I have been dehydrated several times as I wasn't and still not quiet used to the heat ... it sneaks up on you.  My portion sizes have been a bit bigger and I've had to retrain myself to push my plate away again.  Bless my brother, he is the main cook and he is servinging smaller portions - the first thing I grabbed after being told to leave were all my "gastric sleeve sized plates" although, they are smaller they are still only need to be half filled and my lovely brother has been filling the plates, not piling on the food but more than I am used to and of course the old habit of "eating what is put in front of you" crept back in withought me really taking any notice.

Besides that for the first four months my eating times were all over the place and so was my appetite ... I also need to eat "on time" or that is another trigger for migraines.  Just from the depression and the desperate hope my husband would realise what a wonderful (well, most of the time) woman, wife, companion and friend I am and beg me to come home.  So I will be honest and confess I've been eating fattier foods, eating at odd times, of course eating my feelings and as mentioned, falling back into that habit of "finish what is on your plate".  I have another confession, I cannot stand the taste of diet drinks at all ... so I mainly drink water and when it isn't too hot, milk and I'd average one coffee a day and yes, I know caffine can add to the thirst (I don't have an issue with milk, so I am okay there) but find myself having to increase my fluid intake to make up for what I was, sorry - am sweating away and I was and still so over water but in general I don't mind water, anyway, I been naughty and drinking Pepsi, I'd average about 1.5 cans a day.  So I could go a few days with no soft drinks but have a few in one very hot day.

Chronic pain ... even before my Mum started nagging me, you wouldn't believe I'm in my early 40's but hey, I would be on the streets if it wasn't for family.  I hadn't worked for several months when we went our separate ways.  Anyway, before Mum's nagging I was fully aware I had to be more mindful of what tablets I was taking but when you are in pain 24/7 you just want the pain to stop.

I'm tired of doctors and I am sure I will have to get myself along for tests or scans to see if the staples are okay and that there is no ulcer, thinking of the medication here.  Being new to an area, specially one with a higher alcohol and drung problem and doctors being doctors these days, for me personally I have so many problems making them to listen to me - tips would be welcome!  The doctor I was referred to here due to her good, patient and understanding of women and separations actually snapped at me when I went to get a medical certificate and told me "make your mind up about your marriage, move on and I need to end this appointment as I am busy" all while and I am not lying, on my Father's honour, all while reading several texts and responding!  So yeah, I have reasons to be reluctant.

I do apologies for being long winded, I haven't been on the forum for a year or more and I am trying to get all possible reasons for the staple line pain.  I should say it hasn't been a sudden pain, it has built up over the past month and the first few times, it was definitely because I had eaten too much but now I can feel a sharp pain in my stomach most days.  I know it might not be the staples as it appears many people seem to have gall bladder problems after surgery and I can no longer eat fatty foods ... maybe that is the problem, fattier foods ... my Mum and brother do eat more fattier foods than I am used to.

I'm sure I'll end up at the doctors and not Dr Text but I would appreciate anyones thoughts or even possible similar experience.

My apologies for my novel and I'll thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Alison.

Further information ... wind!  Since the stapled are became sore I've developed wind like you wouldn't believe, so much so if I could hold it and let t all go at once I'd be the first Australian to walk on the moon! I should say its not painful at all, it doesn't build up it just comes on out - anywhere I am.

Last edited by aktm on Sat 21 Dec 2013, 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Further information ...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I think I can feel my staples ...   I think I can feel my staples ... Empty

Back to top Go down

I think I can feel my staples ...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: Complications With The Sleeve-
Jump to: