AuthorMessage
swann_k
swann_k

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Frustrated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frustrated   Frustrated EmptyWed 04 Dec 2013, 8:02 am

The good news is - my mother has agreed to pay for the surgeon cost and anesthetist costs - so all i  require from my super is the hospital costs - I had to get a stat dec to advise that my mother is giving me these costs as a gift - but fingers crossed should know by the end of the week
Back to top Go down

Frustrated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frustrated   Frustrated EmptySat 30 Nov 2013, 12:22 am

It's odd how they do it. Even with PHI they want all money before surgery and then you get the itemised receipt post surgery so you can claim.

It's a lot of cash to find at one time.

I've had a couple of other surgeries and I wasn't billed until after the procedures. Maybe PHI have knocked back some claims and the surgeons, hospitals etc have been left with people skipping on their debts.
Back to top Go down
kelw206

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Frustrated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frustrated   Frustrated EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 11:34 am

Yes, everything was paid upfront, and you cannot claim anything back until after the surgery.

I took a personal loan out for my surgery, lucky I got some extra $$$.  I'm now going through the motions to claim it all back from my Super Fund (backwards, I know, but I'd waited for the surgery on the WA Public system for over 6 years and just got to the point I wanted it done NOW!)

My surgery cost:

Surgeon: $4300
Anaethetist: $2025
Hospital: $14,920.50
Total: $21245.50

Medicare rebate: $1237.05
Hospital refund: $3144.00

Actual Surgery cost: $16,864.45 (there were some other small charges/rebates as well)

My surgeon told me it was about $17,000 all up so technically he was right! If I'd spent more time in hospital it would have been more, I stayed 2 nights.

Hope this helps to clarify everything.  I was lucky I had borrowed the extra or I would have been caught short.  My bank account looks much healthier now, off to Bali next year with the "leftover" funds!

And the surgery was worth every penny, even if my Super Fund turns me down!

Unicorn Kelly
Back to top Go down
swann_k
swann_k

Female

Frustrated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frustrated   Frustrated EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 4:51 am

I think it's just because I only have $20,560 in my super -
I'm rather annoyed - especially that i was told several times by the surgeon it's $16,000 all up
Did you have to pay hospital fees before surgery?

Thanks for your input and congrats on op xoxox
Back to top Go down
kelw206

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-10-26

Frustrated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frustrated   Frustrated EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 4:46 am

I was "quoted" a similar price when I self-funded. I just received $3100 back - they over quote "just in case". My surgery ended up costing me about $21000 up front and I've received about &4500 back after the hospital reimbursement and Medicare. (Currently 5 weeks post sleeve)
Back to top Go down
swann_k
swann_k

Female

Frustrated Empty
PostSubject: Frustrated   Frustrated EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 4:35 am

Hi, so I got my hospital quote today - A bit annoyed and thinking it could be wrong - I was told by my surgeon on several occasions none of his self-funded surgeries have ever cost more than $16k all up
Yet I get the hospital quote it's $15,340 - I am dumbfounded - It says $6000 for prosthetics - I understand this could mean stables but not $6000 worth -
I'll have to wait til Monday to call the office and discuss - I am just so frustrated and emotionally drained
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Frustrated Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frustrated   Frustrated Empty

Back to top Go down

Frustrated
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Accessing your Superannuation-
Jump to: