5 posters
AuthorMessage
MonkeyLove
MonkeyLove

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-11-22

NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyTue 10 Dec 2013, 11:47 am

I've joined CUA so my wait period begins!! I've also received an email back from my superfund with a number I have to ring to get te forms to fill in for claiming access to my superfund on the grounds Of medical reasons. I'm getting excited at starting my journey :)
Back to top Go down
MonkeyLove
MonkeyLove

Female

PostSubject: so much info lol   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyWed 04 Dec 2013, 12:10 pm

Im starting to get confused with all the PHI costs. Im tossing up between Dr Jorgenssen and Dr Budak. But the PHI best company im confused. Please Help lol. And did I read somewhere the medicare item numbers have changed now?
Back to top Go down
MissMelly
Part of the furniture
MissMelly

Female
Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2012-02-12

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyWed 04 Dec 2013, 1:37 am

hi Ness, 

Sounds like you have been through a really rough time, so sorry to hear that. I was sleeved by dr Jorgenson nearly 2 years ago and my friend also by him 4 years ago we both can't say enough about how great he was. I am 39 mother of 1 and she is 41 mother of 4 we both live in Berry and happy to meet up for a coffee if you want to have a chat at anytime. Another friend was done by dr Budak and she was very happy with him and did minimal exercise. 

Cheers
Melissa
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 12:36 am

Yeah, thats why I need to work on him haha! Im expecting some out of pocket, still saving the $4500 just in case.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 12:35 am

I'd still check the no gap thing. My Anaesthetist is on the no Gap list but I'll still be over $800 out of pocket. I asked about it and apparently they just won't do "gap cover" with some types of surgery.
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyFri 29 Nov 2013, 12:08 am

Hi Ness,

Im with HCF, I may have some out of pocket with my surgeon, but he is on their no gap Dr list so need to work on him next year when I go back lol

The woman I spoke to was familiar with the surgery and all hospital costs are covered, I chose an excess of $450 that I have to pay, but thats up to you. She also said they cover skin removal if the loose skin is giving me rashes etc at the end of it all - havent looked much into this side as its a fair way down the track, but she offered up this info.

And Im only on basic hospital and extras (you dont have to have extras if you dont want) but HCFs basic hospital cover, covers obesity surgery. Top cover is exactly the same coverage for obesity surgery, it just adds coverage for other things (ie pregnancy, new hips, cataract surgery etc) and I dont think I need new hips or any more kids! lol

Good luck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyThu 28 Nov 2013, 11:09 pm

Hi Ness, I just saw my surgeon for the first time on Tuesday. I was accepted for surgery and I'm in a wheelchair.  There was no mention of having to exercise post op. He was well aware that exercise would be just about impossible for me and said I should lose most of my excess weight anyway.

After I lose some weight and won't be so embarrassed I do plan on trying to find a pool that's suitable for disabled people to get in and out of, but, that's going to be just for the sheer enjoyment of being in the water and the freedom it brings.

After reading your story, you really do deserve to look after yourself in the future. If you don't put your health first, you aren't going to be able to look after others.

I'm with CUA Health, have been for over twenty years and they have been great. No excess, no co pay, no restrictions.

Best of luck to you.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyLove
MonkeyLove

Female

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyThu 28 Nov 2013, 2:04 pm

Hey!
Thankyou so much for your replies! Dr Jorgensen is one of the surgeons on my list so that's a great start! I've been doing a lot more reading and it seems you can also apply to your superannuation fund to release yours or your partners funds to pay for life threatening illness surgeries :) I've got 3 PHI funds to choose from AMH MEDIBANK OR HCF. Do you need top extras cover or just top hospital cover? I'm allowed on an exercise bike gently once a day so they might be ok exercise wise with that. I hope you still keep recovering well. I will keep you posted as I find out more!!!! Ness :)
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyThu 28 Nov 2013, 1:08 pm

Hi ness, after all you have to contend with it's great that you are seeking to take care of yourself.
I had dr. jorgensen. He has a weird bedside manner that some people feel funny about, but under it all he is extraordinarily professional and caring. When I saw him on my first appointment, I said how I felt like such a failure. He looked straight at me and said my genes will always try to be obese as part of the history of survival in the wild, and I couldn't help my genes, that's why we lose and gain it back again and then some. He said the sleeve was only a tool, and if I wanted to eat mars bars all day after it, then there was nothing he could do about that. He would help me with the medical side, but I had to do my part too. I said that at that "time of month" I would do anything to eat entire cream cakes. He said that the sleeve often changes cravings like that (don't know yet as the cycle not quite due since the op) But even if I did give in to craving, the sleeve would limit me. I personally know three people he has done, one about 4 years ago, one 2 years ago, and one 5 months ago. They are all doing really well. So far i have been going ok too. He has done about 1000 sleeves.  You can contact his surgery and book in for a free no obligation seminar he holds every month I think. He will explain a lot to you then. He will only see you if you have been to the seminar from my understanding. Out of pocket gap is about $5000. You will need PHI. I have medibank top hosp cover, had no probs with them. His aneasthatist has worked with him for 20 years, so they know a lot about obesity and gastric surgery and work well together.  What struck me with Dr J is when I went for my three week check and told him my sugars were normal and my blood pressure was average now, he took a breath and smiled and said "they may be just numbers to you, but for your health and life it means so much" . He takes a lot of satisfaction when he hears the benefits for us who had about given up.  He asked me if I had eaten anything I wasn't supposed to since the op, and I blurted out 'yes'. He chuckled and nodded and said "everyone does."
You can look up the Dr's section for info on doctors, or click the search button at the top of the page and put their names in. My only concern is that you can't excercise, and I know that my long term friends exercise a lot to keep the weight off. Check with the surgeons how you might fare long term. Let us know how you go. All the best to you.
Back to top Go down
Jarrah
Part of the furniture
Jarrah

Female
Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2013-02-13

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyThu 28 Nov 2013, 11:10 am

Hi Ness,
sounds like you've been through the wringer :( I am sorry that I can't comment of surgeons in your area - hopefully someone on here will be able to help out!
I had Medibank PHI and didn't have any problem with my surgeon or the hospital :)
Cheers.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyLove
MonkeyLove

Female

PostSubject: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! EmptyThu 28 Nov 2013, 9:25 am

Hi there!

My name is Ness and I'm from Kiama NSW. I'm 37 years old and mother of 4. I have always been a cuddly girl. I decided it was time to lose some weight after many fad diets having failed me or me failing them. I joined my local Curves women's gym as I had been to a co-ed gym years before and hated males staring at me. I was 114.6kgs and it was February. I powered through my gym workouts and as the weight dropped off I started exercising at home as well. In the October my 15 year old daughter committed suicide, and hence my workouts stopped. I went back late December and then in the January 1 yr on from when I first started at the gym, I had lost 22.2 kgs and then I hurt my neck at work. Then my whole life stopped. I went for spinal surgery in April, and today 7 months post op I am 116.4 kilos :(

I will never be allowed to attend a gym ever again due to my spinal surgery. I hate a plate and screws holding my head on so to speak. I currently can only lift 1 kg so therefore my days of lifting weights are over too. I've tried to eat healthy, I've tried rapid loss shakes, but I'm an emotional eater and with my depression, I just cant stick to any diet. So I've made the decision to have the sleeve done. I'm researching surgeons down my area in Wollongong. I'm deciding between Dr Budak Dr Taylor, Dr Jorgenson or Dr Talbot. Any suggestions??? I'm looking for a surgeon with lovely bedside manner who wont treat you like a number or judge you, and one that isn't going to rip me off but is reasonably priced and does great work. PLEASE HELP :) I'm not currently in a PHI but I will join one that offers the best rebate for gastric surgery, and with great hospital and extras cover, once again, any suggestions??

I look forward to hearing from others who can help me out.

Ness xxxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!   NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

NEWBIE FROM KIAMA NSW PLEASE HELP!!!!
Page 1 of 1