Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
scoots266
scoots266

Female
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2012-11-27

Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Sleeve to bypass for reflux   Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Nov 2013, 10:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi all, i'm just looking for info from anyone that had to go from sleeve to bypass due to reflux.  I had reflux issues pre-op and had had previous surgery for reflux that needed to be undone to have the sleeve.  Recently i have had a significant increase in reflux symptoms, i'm already on high doses of reflux meds and it just seems to be continually getting worse.  I was told of the potential to need a bypass done if i ended up with uncontrollable reflux and accepted that risk, but it is not a path a really want to go down unless absolutely necessary, thankfully that is the same opinion as my surgeon has.  

Anyway i was just wanting to hear from anyone else who had to change from sleeve to bypass for reflux, and any information about at what point that decision was made and the results, did it work for your reflux?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
scoots266

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve to bypass for reflux   Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 EmptyTue 19 Nov 2013, 8:03 am

Thanks all, so i got an urgent appointment with my surgeon last week after seeing my gp who advised me to get myself an urgent review with surgeon.  Surgeon thinks i may have a stricture in my sleeve, having a barium swallow next week and we'll see what it shows and go from there.  I am getting over this reflux, i do have periods where it is a little better, but sure enough it does get worse again, i'm kind of hoping it is a stricture coz that should be able to be fixed relatively easily with a gastroscopy and balloon to stretch the skinny part of the sleeve, would rather not need more surgery if i can help it but i can't keep living with this reflux either!
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve to bypass for reflux   Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Nov 2013, 3:18 am

Sorry I haven't had a Bypass but I do know that it is very important to keep a close eye on bad reflux. I don't think this is explained enough to most Sleevers. Long term severe reflux increases the risk of Barretts Disease of the Oesophogus (cancer). So if the tablets aren't working you will need to get regular checkup's (gastroscopies) to make sure that everything is still OK. I am sure your Doc has discussed the benefits and risks of up grading to a Bypass compared to staying with the Sleeve. Good luck with your decision.

regards Nini
Back to top Go down
becky_aus
becky_aus

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve to bypass for reflux   Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 EmptySat 16 Nov 2013, 11:50 pm

Im also in the same vote and looking at the same thing, Im almost 12 months out, I had very mild reflux before the sleeve but its got progressivly worse since, till the point now its not managable and get very little sleep due to choking or waking in the middle of a spill.  I didnt even know this could happen post op, but I have full confidence in my surgeon and will be speaking to him more about this on my next visit.  It nice to hear Im not the only one though I wouldnt wish it on anyone :)
Back to top Go down
Bumbles
Part of the furniture
Bumbles

Female
Number of posts : 794
Registration date : 2013-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve to bypass for reflux   Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 EmptyFri 15 Nov 2013, 3:34 am

Hi Scoots, I havent had this done, however in my information session with the surgeon yesterday he spent some time talking about any current reflux/heartburn etc I have now (I dont have much) but he did explain that those with bad reflux are better candidates for bypass as the sleeve can make it worse. Not much info, but thought it might help to hear it from another source!
Back to top Go down
scoots266
scoots266

Female

PostSubject: Sleeve to bypass for reflux   Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 EmptyTue 12 Nov 2013, 10:37 pm

Hi all, i'm just looking for info from anyone that had to go from sleeve to bypass due to reflux.  I had reflux issues pre-op and had had previous surgery for reflux that needed to be undone to have the sleeve.  Recently i have had a significant increase in reflux symptoms, i'm already on high doses of reflux meds and it just seems to be continually getting worse.  I was told of the potential to need a bypass done if i ended up with uncontrollable reflux and accepted that risk, but it is not a path a really want to go down unless absolutely necessary, thankfully that is the same opinion as my surgeon has.  

Anyway i was just wanting to hear from anyone else who had to change from sleeve to bypass for reflux, and any information about at what point that decision was made and the results, did it work for your reflux?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeve to bypass for reflux   Sleeve to bypass for reflux - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeve to bypass for reflux
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2