Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Singlemumto1

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2013-11-10

Underactive thyroid sleevers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 10:10 pm

I'm at the northern end of the Gold Coast. I can't wait to meet with him, I wish I'd made this decision sooner. My doctor's been telling me for years. I finally decided my life is worth the financial cost. It'll be great to follow your progress too.
Back to top Go down
tamjo

Female
Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

Hi singlemum, welcome and congratulations on your decision to take control! I meet with Dr Adib 5 weeks ago, I am now 12 days post op! 9kg lighter and feeling good! Will get my thyroid checked in a week, fingers crossed it doing better.

Good luck, let us know how you go. Are you brisbane or GC based?

Cheers Tam :)
Back to top Go down
Singlemumto1

Female
Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2013-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptySun 10 Nov 2013, 8:08 am

Hi, I'm a new member, and I'm already glad I joined this forum. I have my consultation with Dr Adib at WLSA next week, I also have an under active thyroid, it's great to see that I'm not alone here & that it's possible to lose the weight despite our thyroid conditions. :)
Back to top Go down
tamjo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptyThu 31 Oct 2013, 1:04 pm

Thanks Lioness, I'm home from hospital, all seems to have gone well. I do struggle to take tablets though. I have only had water, juice and soup so far. Will probably try up and go for breakfast tomorrow

Cheers all :)
Back to top Go down
Lioness82

Female
Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 3:20 am

Hi tamjo,  I'm on puree stage still at the moment and should move to normal food on friday.  Yes you will definitely be able to drink up and go when you get home during the liquid stage.  I was told anything that can be easily had thru a straw is fine as long as it has no lumps.  I was even told that the herbs that float around in cup a soups are no good and can block the swollen passage into your stomach, so if i had anything like that i just strained it.  my dietitian did want me to have 3 optislim shakes per day as it is complete nutrition, i just couldn't stomach doing another 2 full weeks of it so i only had 1-2 per day and drank what i wanted the rest of the time.  
Underactive thyroid sleevers 542174 Good luck tomorrow
Back to top Go down
tamjo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 2:58 am

Thanks so much for your responses. I was so pleased to read my email and discover I had any responses let alone 3!! you kinda feel like your the only one so its great to have others that can help. StbsS I already have lost heaps of hair because of my thyroid and have had other people tell me Nioxin is good - I have just ordered some should be delivered for when I get home from hospital! Fingers crossed it works for me too.

Lioness82 congrats on the weight loss so far. Would love to hear more about you journey I go in tomorrow! what does your diet consist of now (and can I drink up and go shakes when I get home from hospital)? I have lost 6.5kgs in 10 days; I guess I'm happy with that. I hope to lose approx 50kgs and get my thyroid under control. I read a few research studies that suggest this surgery can and does decrease the amount of medication required. I hope this is the case for me because as my thyroxine dose increases I suffer more frequent and severe headaches.

Jagxlusive my lastest bloods read: TSH 40 and free T4 is 9. This is taken directly from a printout from my gp?? I currently take only 50micrgrams of thyroxine each morning - I feel this May need to be increased for me to see good results from the surgery. I ok with slower than normal progress so long as there is progress :)

Again thank you all so much, I'm off now to pack for the big day tomorrow! Early start have to leave home at 6.30ish feeling quite nervous
Back to top Go down
StbsS

Female
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptyMon 28 Oct 2013, 12:14 am

I have had Hashimoto's for 24 years and have had no trouble at all loosing my weight after being sleeved. I am at my goal weight, having lost more than 40kg's since I started opti in April this year. My main concern was hair loss, and I lost it in handfuls. So I would suggest to all with thyroid trouble, buy Nioxin system 4 and use it as early as you can. It helped me a great deal. Also, your doctor will have to keep a close eye on your thyroid levels, I have already had my Oroxine dose reduced. Hope that this helps :-)
Back to top Go down
jagxclusive
Part of the furniture
jagxclusive

Female
Number of posts : 390
Registration date : 2013-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptySun 27 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm

I have hashimoto's and queried the same things. I have been on thryoxine for about 6 years. I asked the dr about it and he said many of his successful patients have underactive thyroid and can't see why it would be a problem if you are on meds. The meds bring your body back to 'normal' , however, I have read around and the weight loss may be slower than some. Having said that, I was very surprised to be able to lose so much already on opti alone, so I don't think it should stop anything, but I do think the loss may be slower after the op and in the long term. I am a member of the Australian Thyroid Foundation, and they helped me by telling me my TSH level should be close to 1. Normal range goes up to about 3.4, but I believe optimum lifestyl/metabolic rate is at about 1. I increased my dose by about half a tablet a week to bring my levels down from about 2.4 it took about 6 weeks to actually kick in and feel the difference. We'll see how I go after the sleeve...
Back to top Go down
Lioness82

Female
Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptySun 27 Oct 2013, 2:52 pm

Hi tamjo,

I just had my op 3 weeks ago, i found out with my pre op bloods that i too have underactive thyroid.  I've been prescribed thyroxine and have been taking it for about a week now.  I don't feel any different as yet.

I have always found it difficult to lose weight, i can usually lose the first week water weight quite easily but then its always extremely slow after that.  I've been hardly losing anything this past 2 weeks, during 4 weeks of opti i lost 8kg, then i lost 5kg in the first week post op, but since its been barely nothing.  I'm worried that its just not going to work for me or that its going to be extremely slow.  So in 7 weeks i have lost 14.9kg in total, but i really don't think that is good enough at this stage considering i started at 150+.  I know i should be happy about this but when you have as much to lose as i do it's really quite disappointing that i went through this procedure only to lose so slowly.  
i'm hoping my body is just in shock and that things pick up soon.  I'm not sure if my issue is to do with the thyroid, it could possibly still be that as apparently thyroxine takes several weeks before any real effects happen from it.

Anyway good luck this week i'm sure you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
tamjo

Female

PostSubject: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers EmptySun 27 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

Hey all, my sleeve surgery is booked for October 29 - I'm going through WLSA gold coast and Dr Adib.

So it's the night before my pete op fasting and thought it was time to joking this group since I have been reading it for weeks now. Thank you to all of you it has been very helpful. I will be packing for hospital to or row and will rely on all the advice in another thread :)

Also, I have an underactive thyroid and was just looking for any other sleevers with thyroid issues. Would love to hear about your success, challenges and any advice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underactive thyroid sleevers   Underactive thyroid sleevers Empty

Back to top Go down

Underactive thyroid sleevers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: I've got my sleeve date!-
Jump to: