Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

11th November with Dr Greenslade

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

11th November with Dr Greenslade Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptySat 26 Oct 2013, 5:53 am

Oh yeah, I have to close the curtains, don't want them getting a fright and running away without finishing the job!
Back to top Go down
mercurial

Female
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptySat 26 Oct 2013, 5:19 am

Bithiah I'll head on over.  We're supposed to walk, walk, walk from day two so we can visit everybody having sleeves done. 

Swayback - I had the option of going to his offices 30 mins drive away or he said he lives in the next suburb and will make a house visit - I'm okay with that.  I live in a street filled with children and regularly have up to eight of the delightful buggers running around at my house at any given time, so I'm pretty relaxed with a come one, come all approach to my house.  My friends help themselves to the fridge, cupboard etc.  Don't get me wrong, I love my 'me time' and go fruity if I don't get an hour or two to myself each day, but having someone here to help me doesn't worry me.  Only sounds looney if you want it to be, if it bothers you - speak to your doctors, if not -carry on as you are (remembering to close the curtains when changing while the painters are there ;) ).
Back to top Go down
Bithiah
Bithiah

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptySat 26 Oct 2013, 2:57 am

Hi mercurial, 

How about you come over and say hi to us in the November 2013 sleevers, you can find us in "The Sleevers Monthly" section.     I'm also being sleeved by Greenslade on the 12th November. So I may see you around the hospital :). 

Bithiah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptySat 26 Oct 2013, 2:49 am

The dietitian comes to your house!! WTH?

That's a bit invasive, isn't it?

I'm the kind of person that thinks my home is my castle, I actively discourage unwelcome, uninvited guests.

When I was in hospital and had to have the OT do a home visit before I was allowed to go home......I absolutely hated feeling as if my private domain was being intruded upon.

I know I needed input into altering the bathroom and installing ramps and grab rails but it still irked me.  

I'm having the exterior of my house re painted next week (it's only four years old but I don't like the colour) and I find even just having tradesman there on the outside is going to jangle my nerves. 

I already have OCD issues with keeping my house clean......I used to have a cleaner come once a week but I used to do most of it before she came (I'd leave some just so she'd having something to do). Then, after she left, I'd redo those bits!

In the end I had to stop the service because I couldn't stand the invasion of my privacy.

OMG........I sound soooo looney.  Glad I'm seeing the Shrink week after next, I must tell him about it!
Back to top Go down
mercurial

Female

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptySat 26 Oct 2013, 2:02 am

So I've had my appointment with Dr Greenslade, signed the consent forms and it's all going ahead.  They'll be no need to spend any time in ICU which is good.  His incidence of leaks is less than 1% and he advised that generally they were band to sleeve operations.  He said I should be right to go back to work the next week (I work from home doing typing so it's very sedentary) and said should be right to drive a week after the surgery too.  

My parents are going to lend me the money so pleased with that.  I've got just under half of it saved myself so it's not going to be too bad.  Both mum and mother in law are around the week of the surgery so will assist with school pick ups and drop offs.  

I do have to start the optifast diet on Monday so this is my last two days of 'the old way of eating'.  I will enjoy having a glass of wine tonight as I imagine it'll be a while before I have one of them again.  I have done a VLCD diet before so I'm aware that the first few days will be pretty miserable.  Have five sessions with a dietician who's going to come to my house, two before surgery - first one being Wednesday, and then three afterwards.  

It's happening, it's actually happening.
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 1:03 pm

Good luck with the surgery and if you have to borrow so be it you can still work to pay it back.  Glad that Dad is an experienced nurse he will be a lot help with guidance and will be able to give you support in those first weeks we all get a little worried and stressed then but overall if it goes well it usually goes really well.  Mine went so well I couldn't believe it hope you are the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 6:05 am

I have a medical condition which limits my ability to walk. My moronic (ex) Neurologist wrote a report to the surgeon saying that I have no chance of improvement and surgery would not be of any benefit.

The surgeon is totally within his rights to refuse and I don't have a grudge with him but that Neuro is an idiot with a personality disorder. He tried to put me in a nursing home 20 months ago. I'm 57 yo. I live in my own home by myself with no outside help.  Does that sound like I should be in a nursing home?

My house is spotless, I clean everyday (when I'm not out). I cook, wash, iron, vacuum, mop and yes, even garden a little. I manage all this from my wheelchair or my walker.

Don't get me started on that passive, aggressive, moronic, idiot of a Neuro.....Grrrr.

11th November with Dr Greenslade 595690 11th November with Dr Greenslade 697586 11th November with Dr Greenslade 68366 Roar
Back to top Go down
mercurial

Female

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 5:16 am

Yes quite shocked.  Just worked out my total cost is about $5,000 so a bit more than I was expecting.  I think it is odd that they're happy to give someone a surgery date before they've even seen them, let alone read the referral, but I assume there's so many people waiting to go that they just switch someone else into that spot if for some reason I'm not suitable.  What reasons did your surgeon give for refusing the surgery?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 1:26 am

Hi mercurial.

Welcome.

I imagine you're a bit shocked.

Can I ask.......if you haven't seen the surgeon and you already have a theatre date, did you get asked anything on the phone when you booked the appointment. Things like BMI, general health etc?

My surgeon refused surgery and I'm cranky as hell. I'm trying someone else now but I have to wonder why some surgeons just book the surgery, no questions asked.

One of my friends just rang the same surgeon I went to and they booked her surgery then and there on the phone without even a consult. She is booked for a consult pre op BUT ???

Do you think it's the way the GP worded the referral?

Sorry. I meant to say.....congrats on doing something for your health and well being.
Back to top Go down
mercurial

Female

PostSubject: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade EmptyThu 24 Oct 2013, 12:24 am

Hello everyone.  I'm new to this forum, though have been reading it for a while.

I am booked into see Dr Greenslade tomorrow and my surgery was booked for 22 January 2014.  I had a phone call on Tuesday saying my surgery has been moved forward to 11th of November, only 17 days away now!  Bit flustered by it all as haven't even seen the surgeon but so glad to get it done sooner rather than later.  Financing has caught me out a bit because I thought I had another three months to save but should get that sorted, have PHI so at least that's something.  

My BMI is 40.1 and just keeps increasing so I know this is right for me.  I've read all the horror stories and been told them all first hand (my dad is an ICU nurse so has nursed patients where their gastric sleeve has gone horribly wrong).  It does concern me as I have children and complications seem to be quite serious when they do happen.  But the benefits do outweigh the potential risks I feel so in 17 days I will be having it done.  Will have family support to help with the kids as my hubby can't get leave on that short notice (nor does he have leave accumulated).  

Hello
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11th November with Dr Greenslade   11th November with Dr Greenslade Empty

Back to top Go down

11th November with Dr Greenslade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: I've got my sleeve date!-
Jump to: