chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

What to do about blockages? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyWed 02 Jul 2008, 2:08 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi everyone
Well, my first experience with a blockage was in the hospital with their soup, and the second at home last night with scrambled egg. Both times I only ate a tiny amount, and ate it slowly - well I thought it was slowly, but maybe it needs to be slower still?
Anyhow, I was hoping to gain some wisdom from the you all about how to prevent blockages, and also about how to deal with them when they occur.
I know to eat small amounts, make sure the puree is really smooth (that's the stage I'm at now), chew everything well (when I get to it), and eat slowly. Am I missing something else?
But when it happens - all I know to do is walk. And that was helping, but not much, and not for long. I tried the de-gas tablets, which released some air and a little of the pressure. And I thought I was going to throw up (and would have welcomed it, really - and I hate throwing up, normally!), but I didn't. After a while I had a drink, and that made it worse for a while and then eased again.
I probably did everything wrong, so I'm hoping for some advice.
Thanks
Chris
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 12:13 pm

Steph thats really bad if your getting blockages from drinking. Was it too cold? Or too hot?? I had a difficult time with too hot or too cold even if it was thin soup. Or maybe you may have downed it a bit fast.
Maybe there is something in the food that your tummy is just not agreeing with anymore.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female
Number of posts : 1344
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 11:50 am

Thanks for the thought Nicole but no it's not reflux. I haven't had that since I started on the nexium.
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female
Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 11:40 am

are you sure its not just really bad reflux....as when i had it really bad before it felt like something was stuck

Just a thought :drunken:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 11:12 am

Yeah, how does that work Steph? LOL I guess you may have drunk it too fast, but maybe it wasn't even related!
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 10:23 am

Hayley,

I had my second blockage on a day where I'd only had liquids, no food. So I don't think it is from eating too soon too early.

steph :flower:
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 7:18 am

No, Jezzy, don't be sorry - it's good to know that it's not just us HH-ers. Well, not so good for you, though!
For me, I'm pretty sure it's eating too quickly that does it, too.
Chris
Back to top Go down
Jezzybel
Part of the furniture
Jezzybel

Female
Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyMon 28 Jul 2008, 6:12 am

Hmm, sorry to destroy the theory, but I didn't have a HH operation, and I've been having 'blockages' too. I think it's just eating too much / too quickly for my stomach to handle atm, at least for me.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 8:51 pm

Yeah, I have no idea why either, Hayley, unless it's the HH thing that the others have suggested.
I just had something last night that I've had before with no problems, and not that much of it, so I didn't expect problems - but like I said, I think I did eat it too fast.
I'm feeling a lot better now, but still not great. I think I'll stick to Opti today!
Chris
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 1588
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 1:30 pm

I am on the same page as you here Apple, I have no idea about this blockage thing. In fact I was told there was no such thing with the sleeve. Thats not to say I am not believing you gals, I was really surprised that this is happening.
I am wondering if it has more to do with the process of going to normal foods too early as I took ages to get onto normal foods. I think you and I were similar rates werent we Apple?
To my mind, if you are eating too early, your tummy wont be able to cope with it, and its going to hurt.
But it may have nothing to do with that at all either.
Sorry to hear you are having this problem girls!! I hope it ends really soon.

Hayley
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 1:28 pm

Yeah, that's what Steph thought, Apple, and that might be what's behind it.
I just wish it were gone!
Chris
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 1:20 pm

I have to say every time I see the word blockage I think what and earth are people talking about. Neither the male of the species or myself have ever experenced anythinglike that, nor talked to anybody who has before here. Vomiting from over eating or an uncomfortable feeling of something not settling the male of the species on occasion if he eats to fast or has vdry tough red meat says it feels like he ate gravel but not this blockage feeling. You have now peaked my curosity because my elderly aunty has similar episodes after a HH repair, I am wondering if they are related.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 1:12 pm

Hi Steph
Yes, I did have the HH op too. And you may well be right about that.
It's been hours for me, and I'm still in pain. Can't bring it up, though, for some reason.
Thanks for the good wishes.
Chris
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 10:42 am

Chris you had the hiatus hernia op too didn't you? It seems that it's us people who have had that surgery as well who seem to have the problem with food blocking. Maybe the swelling?

I hope you feel better soon. When I get a blockage I have no problem at all with bringing it up although I'm not able to get rid of it first time. It carries on over several hours.

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySun 27 Jul 2008, 10:14 am

Hi everyone
I'm feeling quite bad at the moment - another "blockage".
Like you last night, Steph, but not as bad, by the sounds of it. I hope you're fully recovered now!
I feel like I am going to throw up, but when I get to the bathroom I can't.
Feeling very uncomfortable, though, and there's lots of wind coming up.
It's my own fault - I didn't eat too much, but I did way too fast. I didn't even realise it until I'd finished eating, either.
Okay, I get the message - can the pain go away now please?
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 9:32 am

yeah thanks chris im going to ring him tomorrow and see what he says. I think i need 2 as one has helped but i still have it.
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 5:59 am

Hi Nicole
I was on 1 Pariet before the op, but frequently had to resort to 2, which my doctor's blessing. And occasionally I even had 3, when it was really bad.
I was also told one in the morning, but used to get the pain mostly at night, so I changed it and took it at night and that made a huge difference, too.
Check with your doc for long term, but I reckon you could try 2 a day for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference?
Good luck!
Chris :afro:
Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptySat 19 Jul 2008, 5:04 am

Thats what ive been getting that stuck feeling just below the breastbone im on pariet i had a couple of days tht i took 2 1 in the morning and 1 in the arvo...but i thought i best stop as the dr aid just one in the morning. But it was so bad that i upped it as i had read that you could.

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 6:57 pm

Hi Steph,
Well, it's good to know that's what it is, isn't it? If it doesn't improve, you might have to take a larger dose, so keep in touch with your doc - don't just put up with it.
Yes, I put the answer here, and then decided to include it in my big update. Glad to help.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 10:13 am

Thanks for that Chris, I just posted a reply to this on another thread.

I think it could have been the acid for sure because last night in bed I had the first feeling since the op of reflux and it wasn't very nice. I was actually looking forward to taking my Nexium again today. I haven't had that feeling since before starting on Nexium.

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 9:43 am

Hey, Steph, I just got off the phone from my doc, and I told him I had some discomfort and he asked if it was just beneath the breastbone. It is. He said it was the acid sitting in the top of my stomach and that it would after a while. That's what the Nexium is for. He said I'd have to take it (or Pariet is okay too - which I used to have, so have stacks left) for at least 6-8 weeks, then try going off it. But he also said some people then have to go back on it for 6 months and try again, and that some even have to continue taking it for years.
So maybe, if you weren't eating, it's the acid build-up that's been causing you problems, too. It's something to consider, anyway.
Oh, by the way, he also told me it would take 6-8 weeks to be fully recovered from the HH repair.
Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 9:26 am

Well that's what I thought too Chris but the Nexium was the only thing that I had that could possibly have caused blockage. Anyway today I'm okay so I guess I'll never know.

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 8:57 am

That's strange, Steph. If you didn't eat anything, how could you be blocked? The Nexium should have dissolved ages ago, even if it was stuck.
If it keeps up, maybe you'd best call the doc.
:afro:
Back to top Go down
ssteph2342
Top Poster
Top Poster
ssteph2342

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 6:21 am

I'm not sure if my problems are due to swelling still because of the hiatus hernia repair or what because I didn't eat at all yesterday so I'm at a loss as to what caused the blockage. Maybe it was my nexium still sitting there all day. Dissolved it today just in case.

Back to top Go down
nicolev1969
Top Poster
Top Poster
nicolev1969

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 3:41 am

Yep cinni, it is just while you heal that you have to be careful, and stick to the liquid then the mushie stage at about 6 weeks post op we should be able to eat normally just not very much

Nicole ☀
Back to top Go down
liquefiedstars
liquefiedstars

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 3:36 am

Do you think this is just a post op healing thing? Will it go away as you fully heal?

Cinni
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 EmptyFri 18 Jul 2008, 3:12 am

Oh Nicole, that's great. I looked at some quiche the other day, but wasn't game enough to try it - I'm still pureeing my scrambled egg!
:afro:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do about blockages?   What to do about blockages? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do about blockages?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: