AuthorMessage
Suzy77
Part of the furniture
Suzy77

Female
Number of posts : 488
Registration date : 2012-08-28

Motility Issues and Gastroparesis Empty
PostSubject: Motility Issues and Gastroparesis   Motility Issues and Gastroparesis EmptyFri 27 Sep 2013, 11:43 am

Just thought that I might start a thread for this in case anyone else ever gets diagnosed with this similarly to when I posted the Feeding Tube thread.

I had my sleeve op last October and after several further hospitalisations and many many many tests was diagnosed following a very expensive gastric emptying test where you eat radioactive scrambled eggs to see how quickly food moves through you. It can occur due to damage to a nerve during surgery or can just happen of its own accord with any abdominal surgery as far as I can tell. Symptoms are vomiting, debilitating nausea and pain with everything getting "stuck". It causes rapid weightloss as you just cant, and dont want, to get anything in and is permanent. Many of you know the rest of my story but several more surgeries and further hospital admissions and a year later I'm still going with all this with no hope anything is going to get better and I'll get off the feeding tubes. I have certainly lost weight though!! Bit too much and am 12 kgs below where I should be as a result...

Just to note, just because you have these symptoms does not mean you have this - its extremely rare. If you have the symptoms its more likely you might need a stretch (a dilatation) which is an easy fix in an endoscopy with a balloon stretch. Painless and instant relief should that be the case so its really no big deal. I have had 4 of those too (its caused where your insides heal up to close and again, is a stuck feeling - usually occurs at the 3 - 6 week post surgery mark.....).  So please don't automatically panic and as always my advice is to call your Dr first.

Anyways, the thread is here now in case anyone else ever has any issues so we can support each other.

xxx
Back to top Go down

Motility Issues and Gastroparesis
Page 1 of 1