AuthorMessage
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Activity post surgery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Activity post surgery   Activity post surgery EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 9:12 pm

Hi,

One of the main problems with lifting heavy things after surgery is that you can develop an incisional hernia. This happens when the cut is strained and weakened before it is completely healed. This weakness allows the tissue and even the organs under the muscle to bulge through under the skin. It is more common to happen to obese patients. They can enlarge over time and require further surgery to repair them. 

Gentle activity and walking is good after surgery but lifting or heavy straining is a No No. 

So if your photo shoots involve lugging around equipment or stretching/straining I would say your overdoing it.

cheers Nini.
Back to top Go down
jaleci12

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Activity post surgery   Activity post surgery EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 2:40 pm

I think as long as you listen to ur body you will be fine. I came out of hospital after 4 nights to my mums who was looking after my 3 young children one of who was about 9 months. From day 5 I took over partial care and after about day 8 I looked after most of the care with exception to housework. I know I lifted my little son when I shouldn't but had no other option. I just took things as easy as I could and rested when I could and didnt do too much heavy lifting. ..other than my 8kg son!
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2012-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Activity post surgery   Activity post surgery EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 1:09 pm

I think if you feel able go for it. Just know your own limits.
I spent 2 weeks post op at my mums who lives near my surgeon as I travelled 6 hours to have the op. in that 2 weeks I didnt "have " too do anything so basically I didnt I also really struggled with my fluid intake so was very week. I do wonder if Had to go to work if I would have coped with the get up and go mind over matter. I was employed pre op so i didn't apply for work until 6 weeks post op.
Back to top Go down
Kazzamerz

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-14

PostSubject: Activity post surgery   Activity post surgery EmptyMon 23 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm

Am i overdoing i? I'm 12 days post op with my new sleeve and doing well. I spent the first week on the couch sleeping and generally still feeling under the influence of the anisthetic!
On day 8 I had scheduled a photographic shoot which I couldn't get out of. I'm a photographer and I'd already put them off for a week and felt I needed to get it done. I was feeling ok too and it only took 40 minutes to do 5 people's headshots. It was difficult but I was ok although a little sore by end. 
Then on day 11 I had another short shoot that again only took about 30 mins, although it involved moving around a small aircraft for some promotional shots. 
Today my cousin who had her sleeve done 16 months ago came over and gave me a talking to about overdoing it. She reminded me that I've had major surgery and that there aren't many nerve endings so I could have a tear in my new tummy and not know about it. It has scared me a little! I know most here mention going back to work after 2 weeks all going well. 
Should I be still taking it easy? I am not one with a high tolerance of pain. I stop when things hurt! 
What do others remember about this period?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Activity post surgery   Activity post surgery Empty

Back to top Go down

Activity post surgery
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: