Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
newgirl

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-09-04

So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. Empty
PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyThu 05 Sep 2013, 11:41 pm

Hi Scaredmum!

I'm booked for the same day and doctor as you! I just started the optifast yesterday. Feel free to message me :)
Back to top Go down
trixie

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-09-01

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyTue 03 Sep 2013, 3:55 am

Hi Scaredmum,

ask away any questions you wish.

Honestly I was not hungry on optifast after the first three days. I did have a cracker of a headache on day two and took lots of neurofen and an early night. I think it started to ease half way through the third day and from then on it was not so hard.

I did learn that it was sooooo much easier if you ate the allowed vegetables and found warm vegetables more filling and more like a 'meal' than salads. So once I was through the first three days and started eating the allowed veges I really was not hungry.

Since the surgery I have not been 'really' hungry. Certainly in hospital I was not at all hungry. My surgeon does not allow you to eat or drink for the first two days and honestly it could not have been further form my mind. I had no nausea but also no inclination to want to eat or drink. I just cleaned my teeth a few times each day to get rid of the 'garden mouth' feeling and all was good. When I could start on fluids the hospital had chicken broth - I am an avid hater of processed soups / broth so found this horrible and suck to tea (both regular and herbal) and diluted juice. I have had no problems moving through the food stages and can now tolerate most foods just in smaller quantities.

In saying that however, I do still suffer from 'head hunger' and for the last two weeks have battled this on almost a daily basis. I am going to start seeing a psychologist about this soon, as my tummy is certainly not hungry but my head is pinning for my old friend food!

I have 20 month old twins. I did OK at home with them post-op but if I had it over again would probably get someone to help for the first couple of days. It was mainly the lifting that I found difficult (and although they advise you not to lift heavy objects for six weeks that's no going to happen when you have small children). I did find somedays I was tired by the evening so it just became more important to be even more organized than usual, particularly in relation to what I would eat and drink. I found it easy to remember to feed, water, play, wash etc. the children but forget to drink myself...... After a day or so I would measure a drink that I needed to finish over a few hours, leave it in the fridge and ensure I drank it within the timeframe - otherwise I found I would be dizzy. I would also plan out the food and drink for the day well in advance as the fluid and mushy stages take a bit more thought to ensure you get the protein.

You will be fine, focus on the positives of how this will so improve the quality of your life, be aware of the hurdles and prepared to tackle them head on!

Cheers

Trixie
Back to top Go down
scaredmum

Female
Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2013-08-27

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyTue 03 Sep 2013, 2:47 am

Hi Adam70, so happy to hear someone else getting sleeved by Dr K.I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the surgery, hospital  & weight lossGood luck with it all and look forward to hearing about your progress.Adam70 wrote:
Hi scaredmum, 

I'm getting done by Dr K next tuesday, you are in good hands trust me :)

I agree with you he is fantastic, I had an appointment last friday and spent 40mins with him. He answered all my questions and didn't rush me at all.

You should jump on the September 2013 page and join the crew there.

Good luck with it all, I'm into my second week of opti and trust me after 4 days it gets better.

Adam
Back to top Go down
scaredmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyTue 03 Sep 2013, 2:41 am

Hi Trixie, wow 19kgs that is awesome, great work did you expect to have a stall in weight loss, did they tell you this would happen at all? I'm just worried about being hungry more than anything I did Tony Ferguson a couple of years back and quiet enjoyed the shakes but like I said i'm just concerned about being hungry.Can I ask you were you hungry at all after the operation? what did they feed you in hospital? My other question is how old are your childern and did you  need help when you got home from hsopital....sorry about all the questions.I have 2 children at home one is 4 and the other is 6 months and just wondering if I will be able to cope on my own (which I don't think I will have a problem doing, just wanting to get some insight).trixie wrote:
Hi Scaredmum,

Congratulations on your sleeve date!  It will be here before you know it.

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago and wish I had found this site earlier - the support and information is amazing. I have lost 19kg since starting opti and have been in a bit of a stall for the last three weeks so hoping for a quick few kilo loss over the next few weeks.

I think we can make too much out of the optifast stage. Stay focused and view it as a means to an end....... to make sure your liver is in as good shape as possible for the surgery and reduce the risk of this type of surgical complication. Thats it.... a means to an end for two weeks!

I had to do two weeks and like you had to cook for the rest of the family. I tried to keep it very clear in my mind that it was only two weeks out of my life.

I found that when preparing food for the family it was easier to eat my allowed vegetables and cook the family the same (with the addition of other foods) ..... I found it did not make me feel so 'deprived'. Through this journey I have also become aware that I underestimated the impact of my changed eating habits on my children and I think it is important that they still see me eating foods like vegetables, as so many children will turn their nose up at thses.  For a couple of days I stuck to the optifast shakes only and had my vegetables later at night not eating with the family....  as my kids are still little I noticed a change in their behavior and my daughter started refusing vegetables for the first time. I also found I struggled more with the optifast diet.

You will be fine...... this is the beginning of an exciting journey for you!

Cheers
Trixie
Back to top Go down
Adam70
Adam70

Male
Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2013-02-28

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyMon 02 Sep 2013, 11:57 pm

Hi scaredmum, 

I'm getting done by Dr K next tuesday, you are in good hands trust me :)

I agree with you he is fantastic, I had an appointment last friday and spent 40mins with him. He answered all my questions and didn't rush me at all.

You should jump on the September 2013 page and join the crew there.

Good luck with it all, I'm into my second week of opti and trust me after 4 days it gets better.

Adam
Back to top Go down
trixie

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-09-01

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyMon 02 Sep 2013, 11:45 pm

Hi Scaredmum,

Congratulations on your sleeve date!  It will be here before you know it.

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago and wish I had found this site earlier - the support and information is amazing. I have lost 19kg since starting opti and have been in a bit of a stall for the last three weeks so hoping for a quick few kilo loss over the next few weeks.

I think we can make too much out of the optifast stage. Stay focused and view it as a means to an end....... to make sure your liver is in as good shape as possible for the surgery and reduce the risk of this type of surgical complication. Thats it.... a means to an end for two weeks!

I had to do two weeks and like you had to cook for the rest of the family. I tried to keep it very clear in my mind that it was only two weeks out of my life.

I found that when preparing food for the family it was easier to eat my allowed vegetables and cook the family the same (with the addition of other foods) ..... I found it did not make me feel so 'deprived'. Through this journey I have also become aware that I underestimated the impact of my changed eating habits on my children and I think it is important that they still see me eating foods like vegetables, as so many children will turn their nose up at thses.  For a couple of days I stuck to the optifast shakes only and had my vegetables later at night not eating with the family....  as my kids are still little I noticed a change in their behavior and my daughter started refusing vegetables for the first time. I also found I struggled more with the optifast diet.

You will be fine...... this is the beginning of an exciting journey for you!

Cheers
Trixie
Back to top Go down
scaredmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyMon 02 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

Thank you Brunie42, I am so excited.
Back to top Go down
Brunie42
Part of the furniture
Brunie42

Female
Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyMon 02 Sep 2013, 12:29 pm

Scaredmum Hello  and welcome...

All the best for your upcoming sleeve op and hope all goes well....

Bruna
Back to top Go down
scaredmum

Female

PostSubject: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. EmptyMon 02 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm

I had my first appointment today with Dr Kuzinkovas, such a nice guy.

He took his time and didn't rush me even with me having the kids there with me and my 4 year old being a terror & he knowing he had other patients waiting for him.

I was originally going to book in with him for the 3rd October but while I was outside paying for the account he told me someone had just cancelled and now had an appointment available for the 20th of September which I obviously grabbed straight away, I feel it was meant to be mum is off work at that time, my husband is on his rostered week off I just felt like it was meant to fall into place that way.

I am looking forward to getting the sleeve done & using it as a tool to lose this weight & change my life & start living and being able to feel comfortable looking in the mirror & can not wait to throw out all my trackie outfits that I hide behind.

I have decided at this stage I am not telling anyone other than my husband my mum & dad who are being extremely supportive I have no intention at this stage to let my 2 younger brothers now, even though I did tell one of them I was looking at getting the surgery done.

I need to start the optifast diet starting this Friday - this process I must admit I am not looking forward to, it's just going to be hard to be on a low calorie diet when you still have to cook and feed the rest of the family.

I am also relieved and glad that this site exists even without responses from anyone at least we have somewhere to vent, speak and let our frustrations out on.So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. 542174
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.   So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas. Empty

Back to top Go down

So excited sleeve booked for 20th September with Dr Kuzinkovas.
Page 1 of 1