AuthorMessage
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

Newbie from Central Queensland Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Queensland   Newbie from Central Queensland EmptyWed 26 Jun 2013, 11:56 am

LOL, cos I had to travel interstate I wanted to get all the info in the one hit. 

cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
hopeful22912
hopeful22912

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Queensland   Newbie from Central Queensland EmptyWed 26 Jun 2013, 11:23 am

Wow Nini, which I'd spoken to you before my first visit to the surgeon.
Nita
Back to top Go down
Nini
Part of the furniture
Nini

Female
Number of posts : 952
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Queensland   Newbie from Central Queensland EmptyWed 26 Jun 2013, 11:17 am

Hi ANGE_CQ,

When I visited my Dr. I had a list of questions to ask him but first I let him talk and then asked the questions that he had not covered -which weren't many. I think often you are very nervous on the first appointment and it's hard to remember all the things you want to know so the list helps jog your memory. The length of time on Opti usually depends on how much overweight you are and how  fatty your liver is. The point of opti is to shrink the liver. Here's the questions I wanted to know:

1. How many Gastric Sleeves have you done?
2. What's the complication rate and what were the complications??

3. What are the Pre op referrals etc? Can I get them done in my home town?
4. Do I have to go on an Optifast regime pre-op and for how long?
5. How much weight can I expect to lose? What’s the percentage that keep it off?
6. How much is this going to cost me? What are my out of pocket expenses.
7. What hospital will I have to go to?

8. How long does the operation take and how long will I have to stay in hospital? How long do I have to stay near the hospital post op.
9. Do you do a leak test? Do you use a naso-gastric tube or a drain?
10. What is the post-op regime?? I come from Tasmania. How can I get post op follow up??

11. How long will I need to be off work? 
12. Will I have to take vitamins supplements?
13. What will I be able to and not be able to eat?? Will I be able to eat normally but smaller amounts?
14. How long does it take for the stomach to recover, repair and completely heal?
15. Will I have any problems with constipation or diahorrea??

16. What tube size French Bougie do you  use.
17. Can the staples fail down the track

hope this helps
cheers Nini
Back to top Go down
hopeful22912
hopeful22912

Female
Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2013-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Queensland   Newbie from Central Queensland EmptyWed 26 Jun 2013, 10:24 am

Hi Ange-_CQ
welcome you will find a lot of information on the forum and lots and lots of support from people who are going through the same things you are and those that have already been there and done that.
I have never heard of anyone being on opti for 7 weeks, but I am sure the surgeon will tell you what he wants you to do. 

I mix mine around a bit (opti) , and have the soups love the vegie not so keen on the chicken, the deserts are ok, and the shakes are a matter of taste if you read through some of the posts it is very divided on chocolate banana or strawberry, I prefer chocolate. I tried the packet with a mixture which gave me a good starting point. 

Important question is how many of these ops has he done and what is his success rate. Cost is another important issue. Make sure he explains the whole procedure (which I am sure he will) expected recovery time and as you are travelling to Rocky does he expect you to stay in town after your op. I am also travelling and my surgeon has asked me to stay in town for an extra ten days, lucky the hospital has accommodation attached it is costing me $650 so that is another cost you have to factor in if you don't have someone to stay with.

does he expect you to see his dietitian, and psych doctor before and after surgery?

Good luck with you appointment. looking forward to hearing how you go
Nita
Back to top Go down
ANGE_CQ

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Newbie from Central Queensland   Newbie from Central Queensland EmptyWed 26 Jun 2013, 10:02 am

Hi all, I'm a newbie to the forum so thought I would introduce myself and ask for some advise. I am 27 year old and want to change my life! I am heading to rocky tomorrow to see the surgeon (dr Russell) for my appointment to talk bout the op n set a date. i have seen a dietician already and they advise I go on the optifast diet for 7 weeks before my operation. Im nervous about that cause I'm not a fan of shakes and other cases I have read about on here have all been about 2-4 weeks for the shakes? Anyone know or yourself have to gone on them for 7 weeks. Also with tomorrow's appointment I don't know if I should have a list of questions, if so what would be the things to ask or do I just listen n hope he tells me what I need to know? Any tips or advise would be great. Wish me luck. Thanks. :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Central Queensland   Newbie from Central Queensland Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Central Queensland
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: