AuthorMessage
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySun 18 Aug 2013, 8:35 am

I started walking in hospital may sound funny but I pushed myself to do circuits of the ward around 3/4 times a day good for the trapped wind and clot prevention.  When I got home it was Thursday didn't do anything more until the weekend with my husband in case I got sick.  I didn't and I managed several hundred mts.  Rested half way then went back to the car. This was flat ground no hills so no strain.  It went on from there further each time for a month. The first 10 days post op my husband was with me for support.

After a month I went back and got a clearance from the Dr and I have gone to the gym 5 days a week for around 45 to 50 mins a day doing medium exercise treadmill bike rower and some weight resistance machine no more then 25k in sitting positions.  Now 3 mths post op 20kg lighter and in better condition then ever before I am about to introduce full on free weights and core and abs work to try to get the gut down as it is still big every thing else is doing pretty good.

I have lost 124.5cms since mid April I can assure you and everyone else I have never been one to exercise but as honeybmel says I actually quite like it now it gives me motivation and drive it is effecting me in other ways to seek change.  My regret since the op is that I wish I could have found this motivation and drive before the op and maybe I wouldn't have needed to do it.  BUT having said that I tried before with it wearing thin very fast and fell my usual backwards direction.  The sleeve really is life changing I can't believe it but I'm glad really glad. 

When you start just go slow and steady everyone is different but if you can do just a little each day your strength both physical and mental will build.
Back to top Go down
Kas
Part of the furniture
Kas

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2012-09-01

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySun 18 Aug 2013, 8:17 am

Any type of exercise you enjoy! Doesn't even matter if it's just turning on the music, closing the blinds ;-) and dance your little heart out! 
Warmer weather coming will always help, those Arvo walks will be nice. 

Like Lin said start slow and resistance training is a must!!! Right from the beginning.

I was a bit of a gym nut before surgery cardio and weights, I went back after two weeks but only walking and bike, at four weeks I did very gentle lite weights and I started to build up my fitness and weights again from 6 weeks. This is all one surgeon advise, so check there if they haven't already said!

Kas
Back to top Go down
Lillichanel

Female
Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-08-17

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySun 18 Aug 2013, 5:08 am

When did you start exercising after the sleeve? Walking sounds good- but how long did you do it for and how soon?
Back to top Go down
Sazzles
Sazzles

Female
Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-07-08

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyFri 19 Jul 2013, 3:31 am

I have always enjoyed walking and swimming and the occasional bike ride. But this has only happened in spurts in the past when I am on a health kick. So post surgery I have been going for short walks on mainly flat surfaces. Have had 2 today. One 15 minute walk and one 25 minute walk. 

As soon as I am a month post op I will take up swimming at the local pool. I also want to get back to bike riding and would love to eventually ride from Sumner to Toombul along the path the council has put in.

I am seeing an exercise physiologist weekly and she is going to put together plans for me. She comes to my house which is great and means I cant woos out.
Back to top Go down
Honeybmel
Honeybmel

Female
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2013-01-23

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 10:18 am

I started walking while I was on Opti just to start a good habit. I now walk for an hour each night. A couple of weeks after my op I added 30mins of swimming 3 mornings a week. Now 25kg down, and a miracle has occurred. I actually enjoy exercise and miss it if I can't get in my walk or swim. I never dreamed this would be my new life!
Back to top Go down

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 9:41 am

I've been walking a bit, have a bad knee and ankle so only managing 10-15 mins at a time so far. Hoping to make it longer. Was thinking of joining water aerobics as well.
Back to top Go down
Jarrah
Part of the furniture
Jarrah

Female
Number of posts : 911
Registration date : 2013-02-13

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 9:54 am

hey Mummabear,
we have both a treadmill and a cross trainer... but have just started walking. We have really eased into it and figure that the gentle activity is better than sitting on the couch ;)
Good luck ... any movement is good, eh?
How much exercise? 63412
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 9:16 am

hi, are you exercising yet? start easy and just do some walking, maybe 10mins a day then work up to 1/2hr. If you enjoyed a stationary bike get another one. If you are interested in a treadmill or similar maybe rent one for a mth or so to see if you'd use it. Also look at doing some resistance exercise with handweights, you can look on-line for some.
Back to top Go down

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: How much exercise?   How much exercise? EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 8:02 am

How much exercise and what kind of exercise does everyone do? What is the best kind of exercise after the sleeve? We had an exercise bike but dh sold it, I am thinking of buying a new one soon. Dh also wants to get either a treadmill or cross trainer. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How much exercise? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How much exercise?   How much exercise? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much exercise?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Dietitians, Dieting, Exercising and more :: Diet, Exercise and more :: Exercise-
Jump to: