cdazzle
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jnw

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-05-09

how often should we drink? Empty
PostSubject: Standing up   how often should we drink? EmptySat 10 Aug 2013, 8:03 pm

My surgeon suggested I stand up when drinking and I find  this has made a huge difference
Back to top Go down
cranker

Female
Registration date : 2013-04-03

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptySat 10 Aug 2013, 1:32 pm

Before I had my op four weeks ago I would drink easily 2+ litres of water a day. Post op I'm struggling to drink 600mls! I feel like ill be next in hospital on a drip! When k was in hospital I begged them to take the drip out, it was driving me nuts!!!! Now I wish I could have taken it home with me!
Back to top Go down
jnw

Female
Registration date : 2013-05-09

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyFri 09 Aug 2013, 10:31 am

So glad to read this - I'm 4 days out and water with Gatorade is the only thing I can tolerate
Back to top Go down
cdazzle

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-11-06

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptySun 02 Jun 2013, 6:19 am

hello , update !!

I am back in hospital , How often should we drink ? More often than i was .i ended up in hospital on the thursday the day after i posted . First i had to go to the public hospital which let me tell you was a nightmare , the next day they found a bed for me and i have been here ever since .

Somedays I manage 800ish mls and some just not enough. We did tests and there is nothing wrong with the sleeve . the surgeon says that some people find it hard to drink . I am not on a drip anymore , but i have to tell you its so exhausting . All i do is drink and i mean that . i do have to give myself breaks because I just cannot even think about having another sip . I do wonder if it will always be like this but then i remind myself that as the weeks go by it should get easier.
I feel like i am a slave to the straw!!

It is a real juggling act . I have to set alarms to remind me to stop drinking , so i set one at 3 because 3.30 is yoghurt time and i said one at 5 because 530 is dinner time . It is going to drive me mad for awhile . Next week i start working again , if my body will co operate and just bloody drink more , i will be home to do that. I am literally going to have to drink all day. Now just a warning when you don't you may not feel it , but believe me your blood pressure is getting lower and you will feel tired , sick and dizzy
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyThu 30 May 2013, 1:00 am

Killercurver :
http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/water-nutrition.html
there are some great articles on the net. also coffee and caffeine drinks are a directic {not sure of spelling} and can deplete the body of water.
cheers
Back to top Go down
Bailey1275

Female
Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2013-02-22

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyWed 29 May 2013, 10:11 pm

KillerCurver ...after surgery I lots my love of coffee ... can't stand it now. Can't even stomache the coffee optifasts or the coffee protein shakes that I used to love.
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyTue 28 May 2013, 11:33 am

You need to stay hydrated so drinking s important.
Try and train your self now so by the time you have the op it is a part of your routine.
Get your self a sip bottle and start of with one bottle a day and try to increase it.
All the best
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
KillerCurves
KillerCurves

Female
Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyTue 28 May 2013, 11:03 am

As a newbie, can someone fill me in about what happens if u don't drink??

I don't drink water during the day as it is and haven't had the surgery yet.
I never have been a drinker, unless its called coffee.

My usual routine is a capuccino in the morning, then a drink if sorts (wine or something else equally diuretic lol)
with dinner and a cup of tea before bed.

I know this is bad, but what are the consequences?

Back to top Go down
cdazzle

Female

PostSubject: Thanks   how often should we drink? EmptyTue 28 May 2013, 10:46 am

Thanks for replying :) I had a massive sleep in today and didn't wake until lunch . I must have needed the rest . I did have some icy pole today :) I just had half a cup of milo . I will continue to keep drinking :) thanks for your support and encouragement :)
Back to top Go down
bluebags
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2204
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyTue 28 May 2013, 5:24 am

Like Lin said others who struggled have used iceblocks etc. I just constantly carry around a drink bottle with a max of 750mls and every couple of minutes have 2 small swigs not much just enough to wet the mouth. I stop about half and hour before eating puree and begin again around the same time again after maybe just one swig to see how it sits.

I also have a least one big cup 400mls of peppermint tea it doesn't matter if it goes cold its nice cold as well as hot I usually start that after dinner and keep trying to sip that until bed. Yes all this drinking maybe means getting up through the night but it beats ending up in hosp on a drip.

I have had one episode of dumping from eating and having a small swig to close together but even then I didn't vomit just felt sick and broke out in big sweat.

As far as iceblocks go I think they do have some that have less sugar supposed to be fruit juice not cordial in the tube sort not in the fridge section of supermarket usually near jelly etc. The gastrolyte ones sound good as you need to keep your electrolytes up .

I am really tight in the tummy from all of this drinking too but make sure its not been made more hard from constipation if you are not going start to take something for it I got Dulcolax drops since I have used them I am going around every second day and the tummy area feels a lot softer. I have never drank this amount before it is very difficult to get your head around remember I am only 7 days before you so we are pretty much on same stage.

Good luck and keep your chin up the Dr is right it will get better.

how often should we drink? 217555 how often should we drink? 217555 how often should we drink? 64827 how often should we drink? 362526 how often should we drink? 362526
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyTue 28 May 2013, 4:27 am

Have you tried icy pole or making your own if you are worried about the sugar. gastrolyte also have icy poles too. This way you are getting fluids but in a different way, might be easier.

You are only a few weeks out so take it easy.
Back to top Go down
cdazzle

Female

PostSubject: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? EmptyMon 27 May 2013, 2:22 pm

ok please dont think me daft but . say i have a glass of cordial with water over say an hour my tummy gets full and i cannot drink again . my fear is i will vomit . am i meant to just constantly drink or take breaks?

I have struggled since hospital with fluids !! My surgeon rang me today after i was feeling horrid and said you must drink or come back to hospital . I somehow managed to drink three and a bit glasses of mixed fluids. this is the most i have drank all week

I took myself of purees i will start again tomorrow

I started regretting my sleeve choice today as wtf i cannot believe i dont have control !! It was super frustrating. Its not the food its the liquid. my lovely surgeon reminded me that he promises it will get better:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how often should we drink?   how often should we drink? Empty

Back to top Go down

how often should we drink?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: