AuthorMessage
Duckydoo
Part of the furniture
Duckydoo

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2013-03-01

Thought I was the only one! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyThu 04 Apr 2013, 10:36 pm

Oh Milli I'm so sorry this has happened! Is te surgeon perhaps being cautios and letting your stomach heal before he does te sleeve? I've read of a few people on here who've had bands removed and the surgeon ways to wait a couple of moths for the damage to be fixed. Still, he hasn't actually removed te band has he? How frustrating! I'm really sorry this has happened. Is another surgeon an option?
Back to top Go down
Milly2010
Milly2010

Female
Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2013-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyThu 04 Apr 2013, 4:09 pm

Well I have left it over 24 hours to post anything as I was so angry!

My surgeon has removed all the fluid from the band, which was only 2mls! He wants me to eat 'normally' for a week and then go back next week and we start refilling the band again. He wants to try again!!! I dont!!!

He wont take the band out and do the sleeve if the band is working fine.

I understand his logic but I just dont want the band anymore or the problems that go with it. He doesnt believe I will have the same issues and that I lost 23kgs before so can again.

He thinks part of my stomach was trapped in the band for a long time (probably from being sick) and, now the fluid is out, this could correct itself and he may be right on that as I actually had some food tonight that went down without a problem. I am gutted to think that it could have been fixed earlier if it wasnt for my stupidity. I should have looked into it sooner I know that now but I just dont want to try again and again. Backwards and forwards week after week trying to get the 'sweet spot'. I am over it. I did explain all this to him and he is a lovely man but just kept saying the same thing. He even said he is now performing 80% sleeve and 20% band so agrees that is the better option!!! WTF!

I will go back next week and regardless of how this week goes I will be asking for him to remove the band. If he wont do the sleeve for me then I guess it means finding another surgeon but that is just a big pain and lots more cost.

Damm ... damm ... damm ... so close but still so far. Thanks for letting me rant! Much frustration from me. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Duckydoo
Part of the furniture
Duckydoo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 08 Mar 2013, 8:59 am

Milly that's such a beautiful update. I'm so glad you got your referral and how amazing is it to meet that friend?! Fantastic. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your journey.
Back to top Go down
Milly2010
Milly2010

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 08 Mar 2013, 8:46 am

Well I am pleased to say I went to see a doctor for the referral back to the surgeon and she was just amazing. I have had to change doctors so always an issue finding someone who wants to help but she was lovely. I have a referral and her support so that has made my day. Bring on 3rd April. I dont weigh as much as I thought I did either and havent gone back up to when I was banded (not far off though) so that was a nice surprise.

Had to have tests done and blow me down I met a lady that was from my home town (dont remember her of course) but it is a tiny town in New Zealand. That got us talking and her friend has had a sleeve done too and looks amazing!! She is hoping to get her to call me and we can have a chat. Perhaps it is one of you ladies on here! How amazing would that be!! God for so long I have basically hated myself and now karma is finally coming to me for a change and these wonderful people are coming into my life and are rays of sunshine and hope. I feel like I have won Lotto or something.

Today is a good day and tomorrow looks great too!
Back to top Go down
Duckydoo
Part of the furniture
Duckydoo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptySat 02 Mar 2013, 9:20 pm

I know what you mean, Milly. I also have an amazing and extremely supportive husband who loves me just the way I am. But gosh it'd be nice to drop the weight so that I could look at myself the way he does.

I don't think your surgeon would refuse you another surgery. He might want you to start from scratch with the process (dietician, gastroscope etc) to see what went wrong. But I'm sure he'll have you on that operating table before you know it :)
Back to top Go down
Milly2010
Milly2010

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptySat 02 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

Thanks Duckydoo. Cute name - lol. I am being to really realise that there are so many people with the same problems I am going through so joining this site has been so good for me mentally. Being able to see that others are suffering or have suffered, while horrible to see, makes me feel much better and not be carrying so much guilt and feelings of failure.

I am now actually looking forward to my appointment with Chris and my fingers and toes are crossed he will do the surgery for me but if he doesnt want to then I will find a surgeon that will.

What a shame that part of the 'research' I did at the time didnt end up here where I could have got more information and help than anywhere else I have found so far. And the caring and support from people on this site would have made me make a far better decision at the time I think.

However ... I have started on my new road I think and this time the outcome will be different and better. I cant wait to share all I can with people on here and hopefully my joy too.

Even my husband has got excited for me though he never says a bad word to me and loves just how I am so I am very lucky. Bet he will love a new me even more! :-)
Back to top Go down
Duckydoo
Part of the furniture
Duckydoo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptySat 02 Mar 2013, 8:36 am

Welcome Milly :) I've also just joined this site. I haven't had any weight loss surgeries yet but in my research I came across so many stories like yours. You're definitely not alone. My surgeon even said, "If sleeving didn't have the risk of leakage, banding would no longer exist." Simply because of the problems those with bands are coming across. Honestly, your story is actually pretty common, so please don't feel bad. You won't be the only one who's gone back to their surgeon. Actually I think there is a sub forum here 'from band to sleeve' something like that? Good luck with your journey :)
Back to top Go down
sara777
Part of the furniture
sara777

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 9:03 am

Milly2010 wrote:
Hi my angel friend! Lol

Yes I did what you said and they are sending me the letters out. Said it could take a couple of weeks at the most so happy to wait.

Honestly ... you have no idea how amazing a human being you are (are angels classed as humans??). :-) Like I said ... how do you sit down with them wings on!

I am sure there are so many others out there on this site who have done the same for others but right now Sara777 is so high up on a pedestal for me she should be in a pressurized cabin!

Wish you lived in this state then I could actually meet you which I am sure would just end up in a howling match from me for awhile before I sorted my c#@p our and could act like an adult.

On a brighter note if possible ... long weekend for WA so trying to decide if I will still go into work and catch up or just take the Monday and work like heck Tuesday. Oh the dilemma! :-)
You are so sweet darling......and it looks like a business trip to WA for me....would love to meet you xxxx I say....don't work......I just have the feeling...you are coming into some money :) love and kisses beautiful xxxx
Back to top Go down
Milly2010
Milly2010

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 8:58 am

Hi my angel friend! Lol

Yes I did what you said and they are sending me the letters out. Said it could take a couple of weeks at the most so happy to wait.

Honestly ... you have no idea how amazing a human being you are (are angels classed as humans??). :-) Like I said ... how do you sit down with them wings on!

I am sure there are so many others out there on this site who have done the same for others but right now Sara777 is so high up on a pedestal for me she should be in a pressurized cabin!

Wish you lived in this state then I could actually meet you which I am sure would just end up in a howling match from me for awhile before I sorted my c#@p our and could act like an adult.

On a brighter note if possible ... long weekend for WA so trying to decide if I will still go into work and catch up or just take the Monday and work like heck Tuesday. Oh the dilemma! :-)
Back to top Go down
sara777
Part of the furniture
sara777

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 8:48 am

Milly2010 wrote:
Thank you for the greetings. I will be checking for the details of getting together. It would be nice to be able to be with other people and accept the fact that we are the same and not be judged. How different that will be!!!

I bit the bullet and have made an appointment to go see Chris on 3 April to ask about having this band removed and a sleeve done so will get all the information I can before then too. This TIME I WILL be better prepared - not that I am blaming him at all as the information he provided was good but I didnt know the right questions to ask!

Thankyou to one special lady that replied to me today. I didnt believe in miracles at all but I had one happen to me today! She is on this site and we have spoken to each other this afternoon. What she has done for me emotionally is something money will never buy. I can now move forward with so much of my life and regardless of whether I ever talk to her again or f she is a friend for life, she is a person I will treasure and remember all the rest of my life.

This site in under 24 hours has done so much for me mentally that I feel I am not worthless or a failure. I am not alone. Thankyou so much to the person/people that started this and for what it can and has done for me. Knowledge is empowering for sure but just the simple thing of a human being reaching out to another and helping fight some pretty debilitating emotions without being asked is staggering. You are my guardian angel. I wont mention her name unless she is happy me for to do so as I am greedy now and she is my angel!! Haha ... I dont want to share her.

Will keep looking through all the stuff on this site. I dont think I will be moving from this computer all weekend!.

Thank you darling...it was lovely to speak to you...and we for sure will talk again....friends for life I say.....did you get hold of Medicare ???

Thank you so much for your beautiful words.......I would do anything I could to help any one.....because you know what we aren't in this alone......xxxx so so happy for you love xx Hello
Back to top Go down
Milly2010
Milly2010

Female

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 8:44 am

Thank you for the greetings. I will be checking for the details of getting together. It would be nice to be able to be with other people and accept the fact that we are the same and not be judged. How different that will be!!!

I bit the bullet and have made an appointment to go see Chris on 3 April to ask about having this band removed and a sleeve done so will get all the information I can before then too. This TIME I WILL be better prepared - not that I am blaming him at all as the information he provided was good but I didnt know the right questions to ask!

Thankyou to one special lady that replied to me today. I didnt believe in miracles at all but I had one happen to me today! She is on this site and we have spoken to each other this afternoon. What she has done for me emotionally is something money will never buy. I can now move forward with so much of my life and regardless of whether I ever talk to her again or f she is a friend for life, she is a person I will treasure and remember all the rest of my life.

This site in under 24 hours has done so much for me mentally that I feel I am not worthless or a failure. I am not alone. Thankyou so much to the person/people that started this and for what it can and has done for me. Knowledge is empowering for sure but just the simple thing of a human being reaching out to another and helping fight some pretty debilitating emotions without being asked is staggering. You are my guardian angel. I wont mention her name unless she is happy me for to do so as I am greedy now and she is my angel!! Haha ... I dont want to share her.

Will keep looking through all the stuff on this site. I dont think I will be moving from this computer all weekend!.
Back to top Go down
JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 7:29 am

Welcome Milly. There are lots of former bandits on here and they should be able to help. There are also plenty of Perth people so you may be able to get some feedback on how Chris handles bands to sleeves, costings etc.

We have regular Perth get togethers so keep an eye out in the get together section. It is a terrific bunch.
Back to top Go down
btgirl
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 874
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 4:40 am

Hi Milly,
Welcome, I am having my band removed next week and it is all covered to have it removed with my health fun, but I will need to pay $2300 to later have sleeving done. I was like you in that I lost 25 Kgs with the band 5 years ago but then the not knowing if food would stay down and lots of port site pain and putting back on 16 Kgs ,I have had enough and by this time next week my band will be gone and I should know how much damage the band may have caused and if I can then be sleeved.
Btgirl
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyThu 28 Feb 2013, 8:23 pm

welcome Milly
Back to top Go down
Milly2010
Milly2010

Female

PostSubject: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! EmptyThu 28 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

I am so glad I have finally gone looking and found you all! I have felt like I was the only one on the planet with my problems.

Here goes ...

I am coming up 50 this year (sucks big time) and married to a wonderful but skinny man. :-)

I had a lap band done over 2 years ago now and while initially it was a success (109kg down to 85kgs), like most people I have now read about on various websites, I have had issues and these are getting worse by the month.

I have now gained my weight back again after going through months and months of have starving myself, trying to convince myself this was healthy eating, as next to nothing would go down, to binging for days and feeling like the biggest loser on the planet. I thought the problem was me and havent been back to my surgeon for over a year as I am deeply ashamed of how I have failed. I really like my surgeon (Chris Couch) and he had great faith in me to succeed as I went into the lap band surgery well educated I thought and had attended the seminars and talked to the people there. Having to face him is a thought that depresses me considerably. I know Chris offered great support etc but I have been too ashamed to talk to him thinking there was nothing more that could be done.

However, tonight I found this site and you cannot believe how amazed I am to find I am not the only one! I want more than anything to have this band out and a sleeve or bypass done. At the time I thought this was the best option available and the only one I could afford. My band is only about 1/2 full I believe as it was so long ago I cant actually remember exactly. It is now at a point where basically nothing goes through unless it is blended to look like baby food though there are days when I can eat anything with no problems!!! I know when I wake up and have my first sip of coffee if this is going to be a good day (eat whatever I can get my sticky hands on) or a day when I spend it trying to get something down only to have to say hello to the toilet bowl again. I have been getting so depressed with my weight gain but felt there was no way I could get anything done. I didnt think I would be covered by BUPA to have it removed let alone have anything else performed but from some of the posts here it is possible. I may still not be able to as if there are any other costs involved I doubt we could afford to spend anymore money on my weight issues! I do still feel like a teeny light has appeared at the end of a very dark tunnel. Thank you all for being here and helping me feel like I am not alone with this. I will now face my fears and see if anything can be done. I dont believe there is anything wrong with the band as it is not consistently impossible to eat so does that mean unless there is a problem corrective surgery or alternative surgery is not covered?

Anyway ... enough rambling on .... I will try and find more info about the meetings etc which I hope are outside work hours! Otherwise I look forward to reading your posts and learning all I can (can teach old dogs new tricks I think). :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought I was the only one!   Thought I was the only one! Empty

Back to top Go down

Thought I was the only one!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: