lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

That wasn't what I thought he would say Empty
PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyFri 08 Feb 2013, 1:18 pm

I think drs need to consider health issues not just the number on the scales
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: spoggy   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyFri 08 Feb 2013, 11:57 am

Fantastic Disey.

Keep working at it
Back to top Go down
disey

Female
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyFri 08 Feb 2013, 7:26 am

My surgeon was great and very supportive.

I was 87Kg with a height of 160cm and had diabeties 2. My blood sugar was high and my local GP said if I could not get it down I would have to go from medication to needles, and I could not get it down, and I just could not get my weight down either so asked for a referral for a band or sleeve and he suggested the sleeve and I made an appointment with Jeff Draper and have never looked back.

My blood sugar is around 4.5 to 5 these days and I have lost just ovetr 25kgs

Disey
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

Patrick will say the jury is out and he is the jury. Merril the dietician is lovely. Patrick is lovely too has a naughty sense of humour but you will be ok. He is a very competent caring surgeon. I have complete faith in him. See how you go. Lindy was asked what her highest weight was, so if you know what that is that will be good.

The fact that duromine cycle is not good for you should be on your side with the other health problems. He asked Lindy what would she do if he said no "she said put on weight, and become a higher risk until you say yes". Hmmmm. So go for it. He is very caring, a character, and carefull competent surgeon with lots of experience.

Here's hoping for some good exciting news from you soon.
Back to top Go down
Bellshell
Part of the furniture
Bellshell

Female
Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 5:40 am

Hello Becky,

I know of 3 people that had BMIs at 35 and one at 33. The sergeon that did my sleeve did take into consideration things like family history, health aliments, yo yo dieting. He said to them if you want it I will do it. I know 3 of them did. All various reasons. He said if I say no what will you do put on weight till I would say yes. That doesnt make sence. The only people I know of that he has refused is those that he feels are too young. I think he believes under 21, not sure as I did not fall into that group of being too young.
Back to top Go down
BeckyGellie
BeckyGellie

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: getting a second opinion   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 3:33 am

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support.

That wasn't what I thought he would say 65317

I have decided to get a second opinion, mainly because I fell that my other health issues are just as important as having a "BMI over 35"

Spoggy- I took your advise and I am booked in to see Patrick Moore on Feb 19th to see what he says.
I guess that if two doctors say no, then i guess its not meant to be. In the mean time I am going to watch my food intake and my exercise as disheartened as I am, I am going to keep going. That wasn't what I thought he would say 63412
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 2:35 am

Well that is great progress. There is hope if the dietician has said yes. Have you told them you are sick of the struggle and don't want to go back on duromine or have the op when you are a greater risk. Do you have pcos? My daughter does and it just piles on and only way she can stop it is go on duromine. Lindy was sleeved on the 17/1.

Keep your fingers crossed and don't give up. Are you seeing anyone in Melbourne? If you are and have no success, may I suggest you go and see Patrick Moore, if he says no then there is a good reason. Have the surgeon that have said no given you their reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 1:48 am

Hi Spoggy

I'm about 86 at the moment and 169cm. I've probably been bigger - i know i have!, its about now when i stop looking in the mirror and i stop weighing myself. I have been on a bad cycle of Duromine induced weight loss and then when i can't handle the side effects of that anymore i stop and it all comes screaming back on.

The dietician has said yes, i have to see the assessor next week, then the gastroscopy the week after. I'm hoping i don't have to do all this for another NO.
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 12:20 am

What is your weight and height and what is the heaviest weight you have been. My daughters bmi was 33, she has pcos, the surgeon gave her a bit aof a bad time but the dietician said yes. so she has it now.

keep on trying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: I got knocked back too.   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyWed 06 Feb 2013, 7:06 am

Hi Becky

I also got knocked back with the first surgeon i saw. He didn't say no straight away - he sent me to see a diabetes doctor to get a second opinion. I have also had gestational diabetes twice and now type 2. The doctor screening me was horrid and i was in tears for hours afterwards. Consequently the recommendation to the surgeon was NO.

I was very upset.. i have since been to another surgeon and am in the process of screening for suitability. He hasn't said yes! But he hasn't said no. I'm hopeful.

My BMI isn't high -30! - but you know for me, its enormous. I'm so sick and tired of this ride. I just want my relationship with food to be under control.

If this is something you want. Don't let them stop you.

My husband hates the idea and every step i get closer, the more miffed he gets. Like i say! I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this for me.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 6:40 am

Becky - dr low sounds good. my dr also gave me lots of info to think about, I said I wanted the sleeve but he also told me about band, bypass etc. I had to go home think then come back in a mth too. Good idea of tracking what you eat, exericse too. I'd suggest write down how you are feeling when you eat/exercise etc too
Back to top Go down
leoniej
leoniej

Female
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 5:14 am

Wow Becky that threw me for a six!! You work yourself up and do all the research only to be told to rethink your decision!! At least you know he's not in it for the money and he is being honest with you in mind! Is there a reason why you chose a Melb Doc and not a local one? No harm in getting a 2nd opinion if that is what you truly want. Only 9 days til my 1st appt but being 157cm tall, 100kg and BMI 40.6 I think I'll qualify, what worries my that he suggest the lapband and I so don't want that!!

That wasn't what I thought he would say 217555
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 4:06 am

Well said, there are plenty of surgeons out there. You have to feel comforetable with him. Daughter had a sleeve as I said before, she has a slightly bigger sleeve than me becasue she does not need to lose as much as I did. So it is possible and it does occur. If you don't want to wait a month go back sooner. Lindy's surgeon did not make her wait a month. Ask to see the dietician, have a chat to her as well.

A distressing time for you but will get through it with flying colours.
Back to top Go down
Cafe*Cat
Cafe*Cat

Female
Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 1:32 am

Hi Becky, maybe a second opinion?

I had my pre-op appointment with the Psychologist yesterday who works with my surgeon and she covered a lot of things that are related to the weight gain. Going through the list with her clarified my decision, because frankly I am terrified, but believe it is a necessary thing for my health. I am booked in for sleeving with Mr Aly at Darebin Weight Loss Surgery in Bulleen for 4th March 2013.

I too have a relatively low BMI - 34 I think, but I am borderline diabetic (after having gestational diabetes and a family history) I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, borderline polycystic ovarian syndrome, sore feet, knees, shortness of breath (ok it's 'cos I'm fat and out of condition) a gorgeous rounded European physique that means I carry all my weight on my torso around my organs (just like my Grandmother who died at about 60) and a history of yo-yo weight loss. As we speak I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from size 8 to size 20 all of which have fitted at some stage in the last 4 years. I want this tool to stabilise my weight and to make me healthy. The other clincher is that my grandfather lost his leg to diabetes, so when I start to worry about the surgery, I figure I would prefer sleeving to limb amputation.

I think I am better to have it done now than wait until my BMI reaches 40 and I have 60kg to lose instead of 30, which given my history is only a matter of time.

We are all different and while it is good to be cautious I think for your surgeon to make a decision based solely on BMI is na´ve. It is only one facet of your story.

Good luck with your decision, sorry if I am a bit out of line!

Elle

That wasn't what I thought he would say 591767

Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 1:25 am

A lot of people get a sleeve with the bmi under 35. You could get another opinion. If you really feel you want the sleeve then chase it. My daughter hs just had a sleeve and her bmi is undr 35. She went to Patrick Moore and so did I. He is in Box Hill.

Of course the surgeon wants to you to know the risks etc and not just get it done. So he is doing the right thing making you really think about it. If your gut feeling says yes. Go back and tell him.
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyTue 05 Feb 2013, 12:08 am

It was so nice of him to explain it all to you,but with your other health problems i would say it would only help.I know i tried every diet under the sun,lost heaps of weight then it alway found its way back plus more,i know my back is so much better since having this sleeve op.You really have to make that choice yourself and good luck with what ever you decide.
Back to top Go down
BeckyGellie
BeckyGellie

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say EmptyMon 04 Feb 2013, 10:24 pm

Well that really wasn't what I was excepting at all.

Yesterday I had my first appointment with Mr Low in Melbourne. He was lovely, sweet and kind.
But, he said that my BMI wasn't high enough to be considered for the sleeve. That there have been no studies that show that people with a BMI lower that 35 getting the same benefits from the Sleeve as someone would with a BMI over 35.

He was happy to tell me the pros and cons for the surgery, and with the weight that I "should" loose (their ideal weight would be 26kg less than what I am now), and the risk of the surgery, that maybe I should give a strict diet and exercise another go. That wasn't what I thought he would say 595690

He also said that he wasn't one of those surgeon that just wants to take my money and take my stomach. lol I was happy that he was so honest with me.

So, I was told to come home with a heap more information, and a few tears to have a long think about whether this was what I really wanted and to make another appointment for a months time.
Mr Low wasnt saying "No", he was saying " It might be the right surgery for me" but he wanted me to have all the information to make an inform choice.

I can tell you I was somewhat shocked that with my other medical issues that it wasnt enough. I have a lot of back an knee pain form work injuries that make exercise harder than it should be. I also have a family history of diabetes, High blood pressure and High cholesterol.

So for the next month I am going to really watch and track what I eat, exercise and see what happens. And have a good hard think about what I really want.

I told Mr Low that I didnt want to look back in a year and go "why didnt I get it done" But I also dont want to regret having it done either.

So the wait continues!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That wasn't what I thought he would say   That wasn't what I thought he would say Empty

Back to top Go down

That wasn't what I thought he would say
Page 1 of 1