Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. Empty
PostSubject: spoggy   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

Yes my bmi was 47.5 - classification morbidly obese. I agree with everyone is saying, only have a sleeve if you want to go ahead with one. It would certainly improve your health. You have to do what is best for you and the situation you are in. There is a difference between what is the right thing to do and what is best for you. Only know all the ins and outs. Your doctor is right, having a sleeve is life changing. Discuss your concerns with the gp and the surgeon.
Back to top Go down
NormalNow
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 6:27 am

talk to medibank. No point worrying about it until you know what your options are (if any)

You have a BMI of 45, this is not an ok weight to be, you are pretty much double the right weight.

45 was my starting BMI as well. Almost 12 mths later. 53 kgs lost and I am finally in the normal weight range at around 64kgs.

This surgery has been completely life changing and I agree with the doc that it will make your wife's journey easier if your doing it together, but I agree with another poster, you need to be doing it for the right reasons and be completely committed as the sleeve is only a tool, that can be cheated. It would be terrible to go through major surgery and for it to not work because you aren't 100% committed.
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 3:12 am

If you go ahead with a sleeve as well make sure it is for the right personal reasons. You would certainly have a cheaper food bill. That is what we have found. You could strt by cutting down on what you eat, little by little, introduce some exercise. My husband was overweight as well, he started an exercise regime and cut down his meal sizes and chose not to have certain foods. He has lost 34 kg and kept off so far for 18 months. Everyone is different and need different types of help with their weight. What method you choose involves a mind shift attitude to food and exercise.

I could lose the weight ok but found it hard to keep it off. With the sleeve I have a great tool to help me.

If you are sick of the struggle and developing health probs as well, maybe the sleeve would be good for you. Go by what your instincts are telling you.

Do it becasue you want to do it not because you should do it to support your wife. You can still help her by towing the line for yourself and losing.
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 11:20 pm

Hi

2 thing firstly don't do if u feel pressured to do it either by ur doc or to help your wife, you need to do it for u or it won't work and I hope this doesn't sound harsh but ur wife will need to change her food behaviour regardless of those around her. Second my sister had her sleeve without private health insurance, it was done under the public system, there are few tests to go through for public system cost my sister $11,000 which was covered by her super, not sure if this helps your situation. Good luck to u and ur wife.
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 11:11 pm

It's best to call the PHI to see what they say
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

PostSubject: spoggy   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 9:55 pm

Your wife won't be starving herself. It will certainly be a change for her. When you have the sleeve you do not feel hunger, you may sense when you need food. Sometimes people mistake reflux for hunger. It will be the mind shift that is important. If you get the sleeve too, when you can afford it, that would help you too. Its not just the losing it is keeping it off. My bmi was 47, I have lost 50kg it is the best thing I have done and wish I did it before. I managed to give the diabetes and high bp the flick.
Back to top Go down
AaLF

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 1:21 pm

lin1970 wrote:
they wont backdate it but should be able to add you as of said date ie Monday 4th Feb.

But will they cover me for an operation soon or must I wait until feb 2014 (12 mnths)?
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm

they wont backdate it but should be able to add you as of said date ie Monday 4th Feb.
Back to top Go down
AaLF

Male

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm

Thanks 4 replying Lin. Its Sat. nite so Medibank is closed til Monday. Are you saying her full Medibank Hospital cover can be "back-dated" to read 'husband & wife' giving me also an automatic membership starting way back when my wife joined? (for a fee of course)
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 12:33 pm

Sounds like a good idea your GP has provided. How much is it costing your wife? You should be able to change her PHI to a couples PHI, it will cost abit more otherwise you would be waiting more than 12mths on the public system. Sounds like you need to sit down with your wife and do some sums

:)
Back to top Go down
AaLF

Male

PostSubject: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. EmptySat 02 Feb 2013, 12:23 pm

My wife has medical problems and has been told that a gastric sleeve is best for her. Although on a Disability pension & a Carers Payment (me), we joined her into Medibank hospital a while back & the time is now here to visit the surgeons & get this sleeving underway.

But her doctor insists that I should be 'sleeved' too. Two reasons; to encourage her to stick to a new eating lifestyle etc by not temptating her by seeing me eat while she 'half-starves'. Two- I'm obese too. BMI 45 (168cm x 129kgs).

So give me advice please. I do try to lose weight. but @ 59yrs it doesn't come off easily. So what should i do? I'm not in private health. How much will this cost me??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.   Why do I need sleeving?  My BMI is only a modest 45. Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do I need sleeving? My BMI is only a modest 45.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: