AuthorMessage
sara777
Part of the furniture
sara777

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2013-01-21

West Aussie about to be sleeved Empty
PostSubject: Re: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptyFri 08 Feb 2013, 2:11 am

flyer wrote:
G'day everyone

Well...... 11 days to go and it's about time to say hi. I've been looking at this forum for well over 12 months now and my "sleeving" is just around the corner. I have been waiting for the enhanced PHI to kick in (I'm with NIB and a 12mth wait was required when changing to their top cover).
Like most people that make the decision for the sleeve I too have been overweight for most my life. It's interesting to think back when you first remember being the "big boned" kid at school... Its strange I don't ever remember not being the fat kid.
Fast forward a few years and once I'd moved out of home and interstate, comes the realisation that you are who you are. I suppose that you sometimes shelter yourself into believing that you are ok and that things are not as bad you think.
Having been on most diets that there is known to man, I've head varied success over the years. The first major loss was via Jenny Craig in my early 20's lost 25kgs and was told by family that I looked sick (you look terrible and look as though you have cancer........thanks for that). I'd been living interstate and returned after loosing the weight for a visit. Not long after that I lost my job (airline went bankrupt) then applied to go flying. Got the job, and had to move cities for the position.
New job, new city, new life, new experiences, new lifestyle..... The kilos once again returned and some more.
The second major loss came after going to sure slim....again great success, however not so realistic....the 5 Horus between meals was not good.
Weight piled on again, them comes the shake diets along with point counting, Atkins and everything else in between.
My sister was sleeved last April and suffered terrible complications. Had the surgery, experienced internal bleeding post op. Then got pneumonia, had a collapsed lung, then a leak followed by a feeding tube for 6 weeks complete with drain etc. Now she is doing well, she had to have a collagen plug to help heal the leak. So far she has lost 54kgs (started at 130kg). I've been witness to probably the "worst case" of what can happen.
I will be sleeved by a different surgeon in a different hospital (thankfully).
I'm lucky that I don't have to do the pre opti stuff as my bmi is 36. I do have high blood pressure, family history of heart disease (especially the males) and am staring to have joint issues (knees).
I'm taking 6 weeks off work, just want time to full heal and relax. There is no "light duties for me" either I can fly and do the job, or not. I hope to be able to return to work being able to eat regular food without people realising anything is different. It's amazing how bitchey people can be. I've only told my closest friends and select family of the procedure I'm about to have.
I'd like to thank all of those people who have taken time to share their experiences on this forum as I have to say, it has honestly been a benefit to me. Watching from the sidelines and often being exposed to the reality of the experiences you've had, certainly has made me feel more aware.
Looking forward, 2013 is certainly the year of change.........one way or another.....lives will be different. Thanks everyone.

Ps. Wishing all those early "feb sleevers" the best!!!
Hi there,

I know people are terrible....one of the girls in my office said fat people that had the sleeve were just fat lazy cheaters and a real cost to our society.....so totally agree with you....I have only told a select few about the surgery and hope all is ok...sounds like your sister had a really hard time, so heres hoping we both do ok!! I am being sleeved on March 20th...who is your doctor.....let me know how you go....have you started the opti fast diet yet...that is what worries me.....anyway good luck for the 19(?) xxxxx
Back to top Go down
kexster

Female
Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2012-11-13

PostSubject: hi   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptyFri 08 Feb 2013, 2:00 am

HI and welcome. I'm a mostly lurking newbie forum member from WA as well. I won't be getting my sleeve until the end of the year so no date yet, just been told towards the end of the year. I'll be following closely as I watch to see how
well you are doing after 6 weeks as that's the amount of time I hope to be at home for as well.
Back to top Go down
Nrmk
Nrmk

Female
Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm

Hello Flyer,

I wish you all the best in your new journey! I will be watching your progress closely as I am going with Dr Armstrong as well.
Good Luck
Take Care
NRMK
Back to top Go down
allaboutme
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 10:58 pm

Hi Flyer
I am seeing Dr Padovan. I have heard good things about him so feel pretty confident all will go well.
Jussinger I will have a look at your posts. You sound on top of it.

West Aussie about to be sleeved 65317
Back to top Go down
Jussinger
Jussinger

Female
Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 9:51 pm

Hey flyer
I was just sleeved on Friday. I've posted a few updates on my surgery experience in the feb 2013 thread if you want more info from another persons view.
Your sisters case seems very traumatic and it would make me consider it very carefully.
I was lucky and everything went well for me. I may be going home today.

Best wishes for your journey West Aussie about to be sleeved 120705

Back to top Go down
flyer
flyer

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 2:01 pm

Best of luck for you appointment on Tuesday allaboutme. What surgeon you seeing? I've got Jon Armstrong.
Back to top Go down
allaboutme
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2013-01-27

PostSubject: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptySun 03 Feb 2013, 3:09 am

Hi West Aussie
Im a Perth girl also and have my 2nd app on Tuesday and hope to get a date finally.
Im not telling anyone what I'm embarking on except my hubby and kids. Mentioned it causually to a couple of close friends last year and was shot down in flames. So I have decided I dont need the negative thoughts and onwards and upwards.
I just wish I could get it done tomorrow! So ready.!
I wish you all the success you deserve.
Back to top Go down
BeckyGellie
BeckyGellie

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: Re: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptyFri 01 Feb 2013, 11:37 pm

Welcome Flyer and good luck. West Aussie about to be sleeved 65317
Back to top Go down
JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

PostSubject: Re: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptyFri 01 Feb 2013, 4:43 pm

Hi flyer,

Welcome to your final stretch. Lots of us from Perth and surrounds.

Take care! The days will go by lightening fast.
Back to top Go down
flyer
flyer

Male
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved EmptyFri 01 Feb 2013, 2:20 pm

G'day everyone

Well...... 11 days to go and it's about time to say hi. I've been looking at this forum for well over 12 months now and my "sleeving" is just around the corner. I have been waiting for the enhanced PHI to kick in (I'm with NIB and a 12mth wait was required when changing to their top cover).
Like most people that make the decision for the sleeve I too have been overweight for most my life. It's interesting to think back when you first remember being the "big boned" kid at school... Its strange I don't ever remember not being the fat kid.
Fast forward a few years and once I'd moved out of home and interstate, comes the realisation that you are who you are. I suppose that you sometimes shelter yourself into believing that you are ok and that things are not as bad you think.
Having been on most diets that there is known to man, I've head varied success over the years. The first major loss was via Jenny Craig in my early 20's lost 25kgs and was told by family that I looked sick (you look terrible and look as though you have cancer........thanks for that). I'd been living interstate and returned after loosing the weight for a visit. Not long after that I lost my job (airline went bankrupt) then applied to go flying. Got the job, and had to move cities for the position.
New job, new city, new life, new experiences, new lifestyle..... The kilos once again returned and some more.
The second major loss came after going to sure slim....again great success, however not so realistic....the 5 Horus between meals was not good.
Weight piled on again, them comes the shake diets along with point counting, Atkins and everything else in between.
My sister was sleeved last April and suffered terrible complications. Had the surgery, experienced internal bleeding post op. Then got pneumonia, had a collapsed lung, then a leak followed by a feeding tube for 6 weeks complete with drain etc. Now she is doing well, she had to have a collagen plug to help heal the leak. So far she has lost 54kgs (started at 130kg). I've been witness to probably the "worst case" of what can happen.
I will be sleeved by a different surgeon in a different hospital (thankfully).
I'm lucky that I don't have to do the pre opti stuff as my bmi is 36. I do have high blood pressure, family history of heart disease (especially the males) and am staring to have joint issues (knees).
I'm taking 6 weeks off work, just want time to full heal and relax. There is no "light duties for me" either I can fly and do the job, or not. I hope to be able to return to work being able to eat regular food without people realising anything is different. It's amazing how bitchey people can be. I've only told my closest friends and select family of the procedure I'm about to have.
I'd like to thank all of those people who have taken time to share their experiences on this forum as I have to say, it has honestly been a benefit to me. Watching from the sidelines and often being exposed to the reality of the experiences you've had, certainly has made me feel more aware.
Looking forward, 2013 is certainly the year of change.........one way or another.....lives will be different. Thanks everyone.

Ps. Wishing all those early "feb sleevers" the best!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: West Aussie about to be sleeved   West Aussie about to be sleeved Empty

Back to top Go down

West Aussie about to be sleeved
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: