4 posters
AuthorMessage
HayleyGriffiths
HayleyGriffiths

Female
Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Babies after Sleeve? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Babies after Sleeve?   Babies after Sleeve? EmptyThu 07 Feb 2013, 2:47 am

OMG FNM I can belive you are pregnant I have missed so much that has happened as I have not been on here for months. I am now 23 weeks pregnant myself so am a few months behind you.

Chantz
So far my pregnancy has been very similar to my first which was pre sleeve.
I just have to be more carefull with what I eat as I cant eat as much so I have to make the best choices.
So far I have put on about 5kg according to my scales but will be weighed at the hospital in about 2 weeks. So far everything is going well I try to make sure I eat my protine first although I have been craving sugar arghh! I went and saw the dietitian when I was 5 weeks and she had some great advise and I will be going back to see my surgeon at about 6 weeks after having bub. I am being treated as a normal pregnancy with no reasons for complications.
Back to top Go down
FNM
FNM

Female
Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Babies after Sleeve?   Babies after Sleeve? EmptyFri 21 Dec 2012, 11:13 am

I'm 24 weeks ATM and am having a fairly easy pregnancy. I had no morning sickness and have put on about 6 kgs. My only real concern is that my body is having difficulty dealing with sugar. Its not real gestational diabetes but my body over-responds to sugar and produces too much insulin causing my blood sugar levels to fall too much. It is currently under control by not eating too much sugar and concentrating on protein and getting most of my carbs from vegetables. Which ironically is the recommended sleevers diet anyway! I am being monitored though.
So far so good!
Back to top Go down
Vmr
Vmr

Female
Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2012-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Babies after Sleeve?   Babies after Sleeve? EmptyWed 19 Dec 2012, 5:53 am

Hi Chantz

I had my sleeve done in 2007 and got pregnant with my first daughter in Oct 2008 and my second in Jan 2011.

I had normal, healthy pregnancies and my daughters were perfect. I had both via c-section, as this was my choice. I had some nausea/vomiting with my last pregnancy, but would snack through out the day instead of 3 meals as I found this helped. I think this would have happened anyway and was not sleeve related, more that I was tired from being pregnant and running after a very active toddler too.

In terms of my diet during pregnancy, I ate everything besides soft cheese, raw/under cooked meat and fish (I craved sushi all through my last pregnancy but avoided it til my daughter was born) and soft serve ice cream. I also made sure I changed over to elevit and took extra folate with iodine, as some of the vitamins recommended for sleevers are high in vitamin a, which can cause defects in unborn babies :(. In addition to 3 small meals I would snack 3 times a day too, but always something relatively healthy - plain fruit toast, fruit, yoghurt, crackers with tuna.

In a lot of ways I was still very careful with my diet, I tried to avoid too much processed and high calorie food, walked when I could and tried to get as much sleep as possible. My thinking was, eat foods I would comfortable feeding my baby. Don't get me wrong, I had my fair share of ice cream and chocolate too, but I tried to limit it to a few times a week. I also tried to keep my caffeine to 1 serve per day and drank plenty of water.

I was very lucky that I didn't suffer with anything during my pregnancies and gained no more than 10kgs. I also managed to lose pretty much all my baby weight within the first 3 months post birth.

Really, the sleeve sets you up to have a healthy pregnancy. My obstetrician told me not to eat anymore than I already was ( he was well aware of the fact I had a sleeve). The whole eating for 2 mentality was definitely a no-no as far as he was concerned.

In terms of post pregnancy, I ate normally and breastfed both my daughters til 14 months ( I am just starting to wean my youngest now).

My diet has only really changed in the last 6 weeks or so as I am back on track with post surgery diet and losing weight again.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask if there is anything else.

Good luck with it all :)

Back to top Go down
Chantz

Female
Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2012-04-06

PostSubject: Babies after Sleeve?   Babies after Sleeve? EmptyWed 19 Dec 2012, 4:44 am

Hi Fellow Long-Termers!

As I get older I have been thinking more and more about my options, possible complications etc in regards to babies post-sleeve.

My Surgeon has told me all the Medical Jargon and I understand all that. What I want to hear is the real life stories, from ladies who have been pregnant POST sleeve.

How did you maintain healthy pregnancy diet?

Did you experience any symptoms that are NOT part of "normal" pregnancy because of your sleeve?

Any information anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babies after Sleeve?   Babies after Sleeve? Empty

Back to top Go down

Babies after Sleeve?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about You! :: Guys, Girls & Relationships :: Secret Women's Business-
Jump to: