AuthorMessage
JenBen
Part of the furniture
JenBen

Female
Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2012-08-01

Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? EmptyMon 19 Nov 2012, 9:23 am

Yep, standard practice. Normally the bill gets sent straight to medicare and your phi so you don't see it. In my case, they wrote down my PHI number wrong so I got a query from the testing centre after HBF refused payment. I corrected their information and haven't heard anything since. I recall mine was just over $400 with Western Diagnostic doing the testing.
Back to top Go down
letitbe
letitbe

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? EmptyMon 19 Nov 2012, 8:25 am

Tests all clear I was stressing over nothing, it is standard practice for my surgeon.
Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? 63412
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? EmptyFri 16 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

Hi everyone

My surgeon told me they send the tissue to pathology - I think it's required by Medicare before they pay the bill! He also told me they send the breast tissue to pathology, after a reduction.

I haven't received a pathology bill, though, and wasn't quoted on one either. I'm now over 4 weeks post tummy tuck.
Back to top Go down
Liz
Part of the furniture
Liz

Female
Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2012-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? EmptyFri 16 Nov 2012, 9:11 am

hi letitbe I had the same thing happen to me. I got a Pathology bill for just over $600 and it was only when I mentioned it to my surgeon that he told me that they had sent the tissue for testing. Mine actually was a GIST tumour which was all clear. It sure was a shock though as I think the surgeon would not have said anything if I had not asked him about the bill. (I hope this does not cause worry for you letitbe - just what happened to me).

After medicare and PHI rebates my out of pocket for the bill was just over $90.

Liz
Back to top Go down
letitbe
letitbe

Female

PostSubject: Re: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? EmptyFri 16 Nov 2012, 6:44 am

oh thank you for the reply you have made me feel better I was thinking that but it is nice to hear it from someone else.
Back to top Go down
Ree70
Ree70

Female
Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? EmptyFri 16 Nov 2012, 6:41 am

Hey letitbe
From what I have read and seen in my research that is standard procedure.

When anything is cut from the body it's normally sent for testing

I wouldn't be worried

Cheers
Ree
Back to top Go down
letitbe
letitbe

Female

PostSubject: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? EmptyFri 16 Nov 2012, 5:46 am

I just got a bill in the mail from pathology stating Bill is for Testing on Removed tissue sent to pathology by your surgeon? Is this normal practise or should I be concerned?

I see surgeon on Monday so will ask then just looking to see if this is a normal test to have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?   Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology? Empty

Back to top Go down

Removed tummy tissue sent to pathology?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: