Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.

Go down 
+4
Tracey_379
Kas
margd
juls77
8 posters
AuthorMessage
juls77
juls77

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2010-07-03

How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. Empty
PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 10:43 am

Thanks Blackchook and LittleMissCee.

I appreciate everyones replies. Thanks for all the support.

cheers
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 10:27 am

I was told first 72 hours is highest risk, then possibility for the next 6-8 weeks.. But likelihood decreases each day (as others have also said).

And your surgeon is right, you'll know if you have a leak. It's not just a small niggly cramp like pain. It's a red hot, searing stomach pain and you feel incredibly ill... I had a fever when I got a leak, and was in incredible pain - like nothing I've ever experienced (worse than child birth!).
Back to top Go down
Blackchook
Blackchook

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptyWed 10 Oct 2012, 8:33 am

I was told that if you have a leak you will definitely know about about. Feeling a bit unwell is pretty normal as you are not getting in a lot of nutrients and your stomach acid is playing up a bit.

First month is the highest risk however usually the leak becomes apparent in the first few days after surgery.
Back to top Go down
juls77
juls77

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptyTue 09 Oct 2012, 11:39 pm

Thanks Michelle and huggy bear. Just niggle pains but feel well other wise but tired by the end of the day. All normal I guess. I am seeing my surgeon next week for my one month check up so I he can give me the once over and I will probably feel more relaxed by then.

Good luck everyone,

Back to top Go down
Huggy Bear
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptyTue 09 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm

Hi all,

My surgeon, Dr Taylor told me it was up to six weeks that a leak could occur, with the likelihood of one happening decreasing each day.

What was more important is that he told me I would absolutely know if I got a leak. He described it as catching a fish, very hard thing to describe but you know when you have landed one!!!

He said I would feel so sick so fast that it would signal to me that something was badly wrong. This really helped me not to panic over the twinges, cramps and normal recovery pains I felt during post op.

Hope that helps,

Xxxhuggybear
Back to top Go down
Michelle country girl
Michelle country girl

Female
Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-05-10

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptyTue 09 Oct 2012, 3:35 pm

Hi

I got my sleeve on the 18/9/12 and my surgery has me on fluids for 4weeks to be on the safe side,and I to have niggling pain.

Good luck .
Back to top Go down
juls77
juls77

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptyMon 08 Oct 2012, 8:58 am

Anyone else got time in weeks from their surgeon.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-09-19

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 10:22 am

Take care Juuls all the best with your weight loss and journey.
How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. 120705
Back to top Go down
juls77
juls77

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 10:10 am

Thanks Tracy. I agree I think everyone is told a different story!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Tracey_379
Part of the furniture
Tracey_379

Female
Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-09-19

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 10:04 am

Hi
Looks like everyone gets different advice. I was told first 2 days highest risk, but can be first 4 weeks. Take care all.
Back to top Go down
juls77
juls77

Female

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 10:01 am

Thanks Margd and Kas. I am day 17 post op today. Just feeling anxious I guess because of being out of my safety net area. I don't feel sick and from what I have read I would be. Will ring dr greenslades surgery on Monday for a chat.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Kas
Part of the furniture
Kas

Female
Number of posts : 413
Registration date : 2012-09-01

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 9:51 am

I was told first 48 hours is the highest risk, then up to 14 days but fully healed by 6 weeks!

If your worried, call your surgeon, they will put your mind at ease!
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 9:04 am

I was told twelve weeks but don't quote me on that,i to had niggly pains for a while,but i did'nt feel the need to worry much about it,hope you are ok
Back to top Go down
juls77
juls77

Female

PostSubject: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 8:49 am

Hi all ,

Just wondering how long the threat of having a leak is after having the sleeve.

Some say 2 weeks, others 6 weeks.

I was sleeved on the 19 September and I am feeling good just some small niggle pains. I have come home now and because of the distance to surgeon I feel a bit freaked out! Just being silly probably.

What did your surgeon say?

Thanks for all replies in advance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.   How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery. Empty

Back to top Go down

How long is gastric leak a issue after surgery.
Page 1 of 1