Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptySat 13 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

Kate, there are clothes are even if you are young people shouldn't be wearing. Call me prudish or whatever, I just want to see anyones butt, bust of other body part being push, prodded and poked so that the 'body' is almost out on display. I do find it ironic that we live in a country where skin cancer is too common yet alot of people walk around barely covered in Summer. Anyway that's my thinking.
Back to top Go down
NormalNow
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-12-16

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptySat 13 Oct 2012, 12:34 pm

Thanks Dasha. I am so thrilled with how far I've come! You'll get there as well, I'm sure
Back to top Go down
DashaM
DashaM

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 12 Oct 2012, 12:48 am

WOW KimK you look fantastic...I love seeing before and after photos cos the weight loss seems to completely transform a person and I think everyone looks so much younger too. Well done to you :-)

Dx
Back to top Go down
NormalNow
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2011-12-16

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 12 Oct 2012, 12:39 am

I hear you.

I could not imagine a thin life, wearing dresses for fun, not because it was an event where I had to.

i am less than 10kgs to goal and was a size 22ish, am now a 14 and have no idea what to do in the shops. I still go into "normal" clothes shops and expect the dismissive stare from the salesperson.. instead now its a smile and offer of help.

It sure is fun working out my "style" and figuring out what looks the best on me.
Back to top Go down
DashaM
DashaM

Female

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyTue 09 Oct 2012, 2:46 am

hhhmmm I think cut off shorts days are over for me but I guess never say never altho I might need a full body lift first lol

I certainly won't need to buy any clothes for a loooooong time as I have lots of things in various sizes (14 and up)...I actually have more clothes that will fit better after I lose 15-20kilos than I do now.

Yeah can't wait to see what style will suit but gosh I need to concentrate on getting over the surgery first and hope all goes well with no complications and a speedy recovery.

You all have a lovely day.

Dx
Back to top Go down
sassyred
Part of the furniture
sassyred

Female
Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2011-09-01

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyMon 08 Oct 2012, 11:18 pm

It is such an exciting time, knowing that you will lose weight and wondering what it will be like!

Best advice I got was to not buy any new clothes for at least 3 months, it was hard to do to be honest, but the few things that I did buy didn't fit for very long at all, just a couple of weeks, so it wasn't worth it.

Another thing is that I suit totally different clothes now I'm a size 10 compared to a size 18. For instance longer tops were the order of the day back then and now I suit short ones. There are so many possibilities -I never wore dresses and skirts before and now I often do. Be bold and try on all sorts of different things, supplement your clothes with secondhand clothes as you lose weight. In fact I enjoy op shopping so much I still do it regularly, going to my favourite charity shops where the clothes are clean and lovely and I can pick up designer labels for about $10!

And no matter what size you are, there is the age old probelm that whatever you like the look of in a shop - it will be in every other size but yours!
Back to top Go down
Ree1972
Ree1972

Female
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2012-08-27

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyMon 08 Oct 2012, 4:01 am

Hi DashaM

Absolutely wear what you want luv.. I will be

I guess the best way too see if you like yourself in skirts/dresses etc is take a friend and go trying things on as you drop the sizes.

I know the money I will save on food will go straight to shopping LOL.. woo hoo cant wait.
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyMon 08 Oct 2012, 3:28 am

For heavens sake - dressing "your age" isn't necessary. Wear the things you enjoy wearing and to hell with it. (Mind you, cut off shorts are probably not anywhere in my future.)

I'm in my 60s and don't dress like most 60 year olds I see. I wear jeans, pretty tops, t-shirts, etc. I shop a lot at Esprit, Zara and places like that.

There are lots of clothes designed for younger people that look good on older ones, that's for sure.

So my dress sense has changed - for the better - in that I now CHOOSE my clothes instead of having them choose me because they are the only things that fit.

The only thing I have noticed though is that after years of not being able to find anything big enough, I now have problems sometimes finding things small enough. But that just makes me smile!
Back to top Go down
DashaM
DashaM

Female

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyMon 08 Oct 2012, 12:58 am

Thanks for the replies ladies, can't wait for it all to happen and see if my dress sense changes seeing I will have bigger and better choices. At the moment it's embarassing walking into a boutique and the sales assistants either totally ignore me or look me up and down then look away and ignore me lol...Pretty Woman moment, "we have nothing here for you"...or whatever the words were when Julia walked into a shop looking to buy a dress lol

Love reading all the posts, this forum is fantastic...I'm so glad I found it.

Dx
Back to top Go down
Kateh (Bluedog)
Part of the furniture
Kateh (Bluedog)

Female
Number of posts : 1159
Registration date : 2011-10-04

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptySat 06 Oct 2012, 1:43 pm

Hi Dasha, you spend too much time thinking haha. For me it's now I have to be aware of how I dress. I'm 35 & a size 10 so trying to dress "my age" & not too much mutton dressed up as lamb is an issue I'm very aware of. I lost so many of my youth years in sz 16/18 now I have this huge choice of clothes, not that I'm complaining but I am very aware that a lot of sz 10s are ment for 18 year olds!! :) But I'm lucky I have a hubby & a besty with great dress sense who soon pull me up if that pair of cut off jeans are just a little too short they tell me. Lol
Oh the clothes you hear it over & over again but the choice is endless when you area smaller size. Was in the city last week & Myers where having a sale but their was too much choice so I walked out empty handed! Gone are the days of having to shop in 2/3 "big girls" shops & buying what fits instead of what we like!
K
Back to top Go down
hazelbaby
Part of the furniture
hazelbaby

Female
Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2011-08-20

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 05 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

Hey DashaM,

AbSolutely!!!!!!!!!

I am just about at goal and I am having the shopping time of my life.

I go into normal shops and try on lots and lots and lots of things. When I go by myself I can be a bit hard on myself and reject clothes, mostly because normal sized clothes in nice bright colours or with patterns are sooooooooo out of my comfort zone. I have bought things but I often buy them a little bigger than I need but the thought of fitted clothes is taking some time to get my head around.

I have started going with girlfriends who can give me an objective opinion. On a recent trip to DFO I bought a lovely purple flora dress from Jag. So many firsts
1) walking into Jag and feeling entitled to be there
2) finding stuff that fitted me!
3) choosing a floral, usually scared of too much colour or patterns
4) buying a lovely flattering dress, it took some time, had to try it on twice before taking the plunge!!!!!!
5) knowing that it was ok to spend $50 on a dress because it was way marked down AND will still fit next year, and the year after, And the year after.

On the same trip I bought 2 gorgeous Simona Perle bras amd matching knickers. Fancy that, pretty bras that fit...........

I have discovered shops I have never been in before, Sportsgirl, Portmans, Sussans, Katies (not Autogragh anymore, their clothes are tooooo big), Suzanne Grae, as well of lots of boutiques. I think I went into nearly every one at DFO. Lots I had never even heard of.

I get to choose clothes now rather than simply buying them because they fit. Some styles don't suit me, and that's ok, because there are lots of styles that do.

I also do quite a bit of op shopping. Cheap clothes on the way down to goal. It is also a cheap way to try new styles. I bought a country road skirt and a lined Jacqui E skirt for $2 each. I don't normally do skirts but once I actually wore these to work and got lots of compliments I worked out that some skirt styles suit me. I also bought a very flattering dress by Liz Jordan for $5 from the markets.

Sorry for the ramble but it is soooooo exciting and it will be for you too. So the short answer to your question is YES! YES! YES!

Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 05 Oct 2012, 10:51 am

Yeah, I get that!

As I went down in sizes, I bought lots of cheap clothes, for obvious reasons. It was also a great time for experimenting! So I bought a lot of stuff that I liked, but also quite a few bits and pieces that I thought I liked, and ultimately decided against.

It's brilliant being able to walk into a 'normal' shop and buy stuff!

My taste in clothes now is somewhere in between what I was used to as a big person (yes, I did find that I actually enjoyed some of those things, once I didn't HAVE to choose only them!), and what I THOUGHT I liked as I lost weight.

Start looking around and keep your eye on the styles that other people are wearing, that you'd like to try. When you're looking to buy new stuff, look around for the things you've been eyeing off. When you can fit into some of them, you will feel wonderful! And if you decide later, like me, that it's not your style, that's okay too.

I bought a pair of ruched, black, shiny tights that I proudly call my "slut pants" - I fell in love with them, and paid more for them than I should have, but I still wear them. And every time I do, it reminds me of how - once upon a time - I would never even have considered trying them on.

Don't let the little demon in your head do you in - just keep working steadily towards your goal, and you'll be good.
Back to top Go down
enough is enough
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 497
Registration date : 2012-09-16

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 05 Oct 2012, 10:12 am

I see clothes and think one day maybe ill wear that

now I am 123kg and wear black pants to work (casual work) a tshirt and a trackssuit top.

other days tracksuits. no make up biut thats allergies.
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 05 Oct 2012, 9:33 am

I think I am more casual now .. I tend to pull on a pair of jeans and whack on a tshirt and head out the door.

Once it took me ages to get read but now its so simple and it takes less fripperies to get me out the door.. I think I dress plainer now.

I still do the hair and the nails but no make up now bar some mascara and sunscreen. The husband loves the new no fuss me, Im kinda happy with it too cos now Im not stessing when getting ready if its going to look ok cos I know its fine and no matter what I look good.

In all I think its a confidence I have now developed so I no longer need to bolster that with loud clothes.

Yes it is awesom to simply buy something off the rack because its your size with out trying it on...even better when you get it home and its too big.
Back to top Go down
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-07-29

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 05 Oct 2012, 9:31 am

Hi dasha
Iv only had my sleeve for 2 months Sofar and Iv lost around 22 kilos. I'm not at my goal yet I still have17kg or so to go but I'm on my way. At the moment I fit into size 10 tops size 12 dresses and size 14 pants. But to answer your your question yes yes yes. Before I was sleeved I was always in large Coates because they hid all my flab . I am loving my new figure and I'm shopping and trying things on that I would have never imagined fitting into 3 months ago. It's the best feeling
Back to top Go down
DashaM
DashaM

Female

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  EmptyFri 05 Oct 2012, 9:09 am

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has thought about this...prob a little silly maybe but I drive a bus for a living and have a LOT of time to think about things...the mind is going into overdrive as I get closer to getting my sleeve but here it is............

Sad as it, is I have come to the conclusion that my bikini days are well and truly over, even if I lose 35kg...well for obvious reasons...skin, flab, flab, skin and more skin! Oh and saggy bits too! lol

SO......I have always absolutely loved clothes but the bigger I got the less of the things I liked I could wear. I'm sure there is a million of us out there who dream about wearing the nice things you see in a shop window on a manequin which is usually size 8-10, so you go in, find the biggest size there is and your heart sinks cos this thing you're looking at, size 18 or 20 looks nothing like the item in the window.....and it goes on and on and on......

I have been told by many people that they don't even notice the fact I'm 'large' cos I always look immaculate in the clothes I wear, hair, make-up etc.......and as nice as it is that they see me that way, my response is 'well, I can't get around naked cos I would probably get locked up lol and the reason I always wear make-up and my hair is always done fairly ok is to probably make people look at the head and not the rest of the body'....does it make sense? So the head...oh and nails lol takes away from everything else and now I'm repeating myself lol Funny thing is, I didn't even realise myself I was doing it until not so long ago and yet I've been doing it for years! But always dreaming and wishing I could lose the weight and wear the clothes I want...so I get inspired, go on a diet, lose 3 or 4 kilos, fall off the wagon and put that back on with a little inetrest added to it. Then a few months later history repeats itself...again and again.

So as I drive around in my big bus all day thinking and thinking and contemplating and wondering what will it be like, but I can't fathom...just cannot for the life of me imagine me in any other shape other than the fatty boombah that I am but then I get a little excitement happening in the pit of my stomach that having this surgery is really gonna make it happen for me. Then I get this invisible thing that sits on my shoulder and starts whispering crap in my ear....the surgery won't go ahead cos he is gonna go in and find something wrong like ummm sorry I couldn't find your stomach or it's a different shape to everyone else blah blah............gggggrrrrr why do I do this to myself?? lol

Well anyway after all this rambling my question to the ones that have lost heaps and got to goal is.......did your sense of dress change at all, meaning the things you used to dream about being able to wear and now that you can you don't like anymore, for example, I never wear skirts or dresses (or maybe once or twice a year) and wish I could be thin etc........please tell me you know what I mean?? lol

That's it from me...hope you all have a lovely weekend.

D x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dress sense??  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress sense??    Dress sense??  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dress sense??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: