kaznkidz
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kaznkidz

Female
Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-08-20

How much out of pocket? Empty
PostSubject: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 6:09 am

Hi, i was banded, many years ago and all up my out of pocket expenses for eveything ended up being less than a thousand, with hba, now bupa.

I assumed that it wouldnt be much more, but am now seeing multiple thousands :(

Just after anyone that had it done with bupa as phi, as to how much i ended up being?
Also anyone that could point me in the direction of the cheapest one possible, thanks :)
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 8:14 am

It all depends on the surgeon and where you have it done, all costings are different.

I was sleeved nearly 3 years ago and was out of pocket $4500 with top hospital cover then!!
Back to top Go down
Shan

Female
Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 12:00 pm

Hi Kaznkidz, I have health insurance through Bupa and my out of pocket was $3000 for surgeon and $1900 for the gas man. My Hospital stay was completley covered with no excess. I applied to my super to cover the $4900. Which has been approved and I'm now waiting on the chq. I Hope I have helped good luck with it
Back to top Go down
Ginka
Part of the furniture
Ginka

Female
Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2012-01-21

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptyWed 12 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

All that bupa will cover is you hospital stay and a portion of your anaesthesiologist. Surgeon's fees are not covered.

I am from Adelaide, my surgeon was $2000, my anesthesiologist had no gap and then I just had a $250 excess for hospital. Out of pocket costs were $2250. I have noticed that the surgeons in Adelaide and Perth seem to be significantly cheaper.

Remember that Sleeve surgery is more complex and more time consuming than a Band.
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptySun 23 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

AHM top hospital cover, out of pocket $2500 surgeon, $150 anaesthetist, excess $250.
Back to top Go down
Cocochanel
Cocochanel

Female
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2012-09-07

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptyFri 19 Oct 2012, 9:51 pm

I was sleeved on the 12th October 6 days ago.

Out of pocket is

$2000.

I have Private cover with HCF.

All hospital was covered in private room, private hospital. No Charge.

Anethestist out of pocket $600

Surgeon out of pocket $1300

There are a couplle of pathology accounts for blood tests that will have medicare rebate.

And two Dietician visits at $69ea again with a medicare rebate.

So all up just over $2000.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions.

Coco xox
Back to top Go down
BigBen

Male
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptySun 18 Nov 2012, 6:23 am

I just had my sleeve last week.

Health Partners insurance the gap was $2500. Well worth it so far.

Back to top Go down
DashaM
DashaM

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptySun 18 Nov 2012, 8:28 am

Well I could be totally wrong but it seems every PHI is different, what type of cover you have and I think, how long you have had it for.
I saved up all my receipts with the intention to take them to Medicare and HBF all in one go rather than one by one and also so it was easier for me to work out what my out of pocket expenses exactly. So when I added up all the receipts the total figure came to - I don't have it in front of me so don't know exactly - but it was around $6000. Took all the receipts to Medicare first, and I have to laugh here cos I said to hubby well, even if I get enough back to go and join a gym that will be a bonus...anyway I was totally gobsmacked when the lady said I'm getting just over a thousand dollars back!!!! Then she said now take all this across the road to HBF, you might get something back from them too. Well, gobsmacked would be an understatement...my jaw dropped on his desk when the chap declared I was getting four thousand three hundred something dollars back....are you serious???? LOL
So my TOTAL out of pocket expense was $326.78. Apparently something to do with the gap.
How much out of pocket? 878453 How much out of pocket? 276367
Sorry for the long story
Back to top Go down
april89
april89

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptySat 23 Mar 2013, 2:25 am

Hi i was just wondering if someone can tell me how phi works i have just signed up for hcf and am wondering when the twelve months is up do i have to pay for the full price up frount and after surery then do i take the reciepts and claim back this money just wondering as im am going to have to start saving the money needed for this
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptySat 23 Mar 2013, 6:03 am

With my surgeon and aneasthetist I only had to pay to gap fee, they claimed the rest from Medicare and my PHI.

I had to pay the $4500 gap upfront to the surgeon before my surgery.

Your surgeon should give you a detailed quote once you have seen him.
Back to top Go down
sara777
Part of the furniture
sara777

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptySat 23 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

It will totally depend on your level of cover. The australian government tell doctors what they should charge for and item number....however it is completely the doctor digression as to what they actually charge......you can also look up the Medicare benefit schedule on line and get your item number...that will tell how much you get back from Medicare.......so you actually get 100% of the Medicare benefit scheduled fee back......but just remember the doctor and charge what's they see fit.....

You get 75% from Medicare and 25% from you phi!

Most hospital are completely covered with different excess......depending on your cover....nil, 250, 500........

Best thing to do is just ring your surgeon and ask what gap he charges......he will tell exactly what it will cost and most will allow you to began making payments to them long before the surgery.......

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
sara777
Part of the furniture
sara777

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2013-01-21

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? EmptySat 23 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

It will totally depend on your level of cover. The australian government tell doctors what they should charge for and item number....however it is completely the doctor digression as to what they actually charge......you can also look up the Medicare benefit schedule on line and get your item number...that will tell how much you get back from Medicare.......so you actually get 100% of the Medicare benefit scheduled fee back......but just remember the doctor and charge what's they see fit.....

You get 75% from Medicare and 25% from you phi!

Most hospital are completely covered with different excess......depending on your cover....nil, 250, 500........

Best thing to do is just ring your surgeon and ask what gap he charges......he will tell exactly what it will cost and most will allow you to began making payments to them long before the surgery.......

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
grandmajules

Female
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-08-28

PostSubject: How much out of pocket   How much out of pocket? EmptyMon 25 Mar 2013, 12:32 am

Hi Sara777, Just recieved a letter from BUPA telling me they are from 1/6/13 only paying minium benefits for weight loss surgery. What does that mean exactly? You know Dr. Kus... says you need to stay covered for three years from date of your op in case you need any follow ups. any suggestions what to do? regards Julesxx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much out of pocket?   How much out of pocket? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much out of pocket?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Private Health Insurance-
Jump to: