Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyTue 04 Sep 2012, 5:55 am

yeah, but I have to go with the recommendation of the surgeon. The Sleeve might be just as good, but my surgeon has only done 2 sleeves so far, so I am almost certain that I agree with him and his experience is much more convincing with bypass rather than sleeve...The last thing I want is a leak, and he also said with my history, the bypass would be a better option...as I am a bit of a binge eater and grazer...
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyTue 04 Sep 2012, 4:59 am

there are quite a few band to sleevers on here who have had more than one band and have very successful sleeves
Back to top Go down
Val 007
Part of the furniture
Val 007

Female
Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyMon 03 Sep 2012, 8:41 am

Hi Annie

Another ex bandit here. I had the band from 2009 - 2012, absolutely hated it vomited my way to a 23 kg loss.

I am now the proud owner of a Sleeve (March 2013) and all up now I have a weight loss of 35.5 kg's. Please do your homework on the sleeve before you consider a bypass.

I love my sleeve and would not trade it for anything.

Best of luck........

Val
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: revision from band    Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyMon 03 Sep 2012, 5:51 am

Hi Annie

A the bottom of the home page there is a thread for people who have had or are going to have a bypass. I have it scheduled for later this month. There are quite a few people on this site who have been more than willing to answer my questions and address my concerns - check out the thread and PM me if I can help in anyway

G
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyMon 03 Sep 2012, 4:22 am

Well, I saw the surgeon last week and he did not recommend a sleeve as I have had 2 lapbands, one slipped and the other is still in there doing nothing.
He recommended Gastric Bypass. I am now trying to research and put my mind at ease that having my stomach basically cut out is not going to be a bad thing.
My surgeon has only just started doing sleeves and I think he just doesnt want any complications.
I have a lot of questions about Bypass, but there isnt a forum out there as fantastic as this one for Australian Bypass people...
I am booked in for 20th Nov to get the band out and bypass all in the one operation. Five days in hospital and hopefully it will work.
I am so scared that I'll go through all of this with no result, as with the band.
Back to top Go down
Teeli

Female
Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyTue 28 Aug 2012, 8:33 pm

Annie!-Hello twin sistah! LOL...well, your story is the same as mine. I, too, asked for the sleeve first, and ended up with the band. I, too am having a revision from band to sleeve in the near future.I am only 5 kgs heavier than my lightest after losing post band operation.BUT, and here's the BUT, we should not BE heavier.For us the band just doesn't cut the mustard.Maybe for others, not for us.

I was told yesterday that it is MY failure, not the band's...well, I don't buy that. I have really tried.And, I DID lose, but overall only 21kgs.( 5 of which I have regained)For me it has been a whole raftof problems, pain, slimimg, vomiting, inability to eat meat chicken or fish or salad leaves.

I have 2 daughters who have both had surgery for weight issues. The eldest had the band, lost a lot of weight and then regained it all.She has the sleeve now and has lost again and it isn't even looking like coming back. The other daughter had the sleeve...she lost 60kg and is looking fabulous.... and a year later still has no food issues or hunger issues .She eats when she's hungry, and anything she fancies, but not very much and she has no issues at all.

So, to me, that's the way to go.

Further... the banded daughter was raised by another person, not me. So, all 3 of us are genetically programmed to be heavy, nuture had nothing to do with how we all ended up.Yet for both of my daughters, the sleeve worked.
Back to top Go down
sssss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2844
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyMon 27 Aug 2012, 2:05 pm

Hi Annie

Welcome to the site and good luck as you explore your options. If you haven't already gone treasure hunting on the site, you might like to start with the band to sleeve thread which is full of stories and questions/answers from people with similar experiences. You can find it here...

http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/f38-from-band-to-sleeve

S
Back to top Go down
~Trishah~
Top Poster
Top Poster
~Trishah~

Female
Number of posts : 1954
Registration date : 2012-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyMon 27 Aug 2012, 7:34 am

Hey Annie...love your name by the way, its the same as my daughters. anywhoo I had a band for 4 years and 5 months ago switched to a sleeve and could not be happier. Yes it works and yes its better than the band.

Personally I would start with the sleeve then if not happy move to bypass. Less side effects and you can go forward but you cant go back.

I would be extremely surprised if the sleeve did not work for you

Congrats on your decision and welcome to this friendly and informative site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum EmptyMon 27 Aug 2012, 3:16 am

My name is Annie.
I am from Newcastle area and I have just made an appointment with my band surgeon to discuss a revision to sleeve or bypass.
My Surgeon is DR Tim Wright, and I have just found out he does sleeves, as last time I spoke to him 18 months ago he wouldnt do it.

I have had my band since 2008 and am 15KG heavier now. I also now have 2 kids. One in 2007 and one last year. I have to do something cause the band is doing nothing. I am really wondering if the sleeve wont work, and i should just go straight to bypass, but I see so many good results here, I have to have faith.

I am currently around 135kg, and I have to lose over 60kg....its just so overwhelming and daunting...

Have no fear of surgery, or optifast..just fear that I'll go through it all again like I did with the band and have no result.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum   Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum Empty

Back to top Go down

Working towards a revision from band ...new to this forum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: Introductions!-
Jump to: