5 posters
AuthorMessage
untamed_angel277
untamed_angel277

Female
Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-09-08

Drinking with meals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drinking with meals   Drinking with meals EmptyMon 23 Feb 2009, 12:31 pm

Hi
Im the Same as apples husband can drink as much as i want to.. dont get me started on alchole i seem to still drink like a fish it just hits me quicker but that could also be because i sweat so much even when i was smaller that its just constant re filling up again... I had a problem with eating my food and not drinking i just could not seem to swallow it right or felt like it was stuck yes even with gravy (thinks may have something to do with being burnt at a young age that its a lot easier to have fluids to wash it down with...) but with milky drinks it seems to feel more like food than actual fluid.... i have no problems with the amount of food i eat and when im not on hunger making pills i eat the right amount and it doesnt feel as though it goes through me quicker... so i think its what you feel is right for you...if you feel your not getting in enough food because you drink so much then just take lil sips but if your like me and have no probs go for it...
Back to top Go down
http://untamedangel277.spaces.live.com/
sallyanne
sallyanne

Female
Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Drinking with meals   Drinking with meals EmptyMon 23 Feb 2009, 12:09 pm

my surgeon told me its ok to have just a sip throughout the meal if u reallyhave to
Back to top Go down
applesauce
Top Poster
Top Poster
applesauce

Female
Number of posts : 1999
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Drinking with meals   Drinking with meals EmptyMon 23 Feb 2009, 6:30 am

I was never told not to drink with meals and do not totaly agree with the washing though of food if you drink. I think the valve at the bottom of your stomach plays a far greater role in this than anything you drink and no surgery no nothing will change what you where born with. some of us have stomachs that empty fast some do not. My husband can guzzel drinks till the cows come home and they slide straight though him aslong as they are the clear type, ie water and NOT milk ones. tho he can have a huge one of those. Me I am pushing to hold more than 250ml of even water type liquids, my stomach just doesnt drain well hehehehe.

I do very much agree with the fact that drinking beyond a sip if you need one, and yes everybody needs a sip on occasion with a meal, it just happens. is a bad idea simply because it does take up valuable space for food. But honestly if you need a sip of drink with your meals do not beat yourself up over it or choke your meal down suffering if a simple sip can make you feel so much better it just is not a life and death matter. It just is not a good idea to go guzzeling down large amounts of liquid with meals.

applesauce
Back to top Go down
chrisbychic
Top Poster
Top Poster
chrisbychic

Female
Number of posts : 7036
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Drinking with meals   Drinking with meals EmptySun 22 Feb 2009, 9:22 pm

Hi Caz
I'm sure this is discussed all over the place on this forum, so look around and you'll find heaps of info on it.
There are a couple of reasons, actually - depending on who you talk to.
Firstly, you don't want to fill your tiny tummy up with liquid when you need food. You simply can't fit both in.
So you have a drink before you meal, and give it time to go through, so you can fit your food in. And you have to wait at least half an hour for the meal to start going through to make room for any more.
Secondly, when you add liquid to your food, apparently it changes the consistency (makes sense) and makes it digest more quickly. That means that your stomach empties earlier than it would have without the liquid - and then you want to eat more. I wish someone had told me this before I had the op - perhaps I could have trained myself not to eat and drink at the same time then!
Last, but not least, not drinking with meals is one of the hardest things to learn - at least, it was for me.
Very occasionally I will have a sip of water with my meal, but only if it's the dryest of meals. You're much better off to have gravy or sauce with your meal, and you'll be having very liquid meals at the beginning, so dry meals will not be a problem for ages. By that time, you should be used to not drinking with your meals.
Best wishes
Chris
Back to top Go down
Caz
Sponsor
Caz

Female
Number of posts : 5909
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Drinking with meals   Drinking with meals EmptySun 22 Feb 2009, 7:45 pm

I have a question that I'm sure many will be able to answer.

The stuff I've read says don't drink with meals - have a drink 15 mins before or 30 mins after.

Why is this? And if you just have small 'sips' with meals, is that OK? I can't imagine having a dryish meal and not being able to at least sip something (and I'm not talking about alcohol, just water which is what I mostly have with meals).

Thanks
A very apprehensive (but also nearly ready) Caz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drinking with meals   Drinking with meals Empty

Back to top Go down

Drinking with meals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: