5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jo-Aussiegal
Jo-Aussiegal

Female
Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2012-07-19

Hi gorgeous ladies & gents Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi gorgeous ladies & gents   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents EmptyTue 21 Aug 2012, 4:18 am

Jammy wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm here because I'm at the initial researching phase and looking at my options. After being quite sure about wanting lap band, I'm now almost convinced that the sleeve is the better option for me. I am in Melbourne, 40 yo, 165kgs, 175cms and been this weight for about 5 years now. Previously I hovered around 130 kgs for 8-9 years and then stacked on more weight after I met my enabler husband! (I love him but we are not good for each other in some ways ..). So it's time to stop the gaining/losing/gaining BS and start losing weight once and for all.

If anyone has any surgeons they could recommend I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking at Ian Michell or Jason Winnell because their rooms & hospital are easy to get to - plan to make an appointment with one of them this week if I don't chicken out!

Really looking forward to getting to know you all.

Jammy

G'day Jammy

I wish I would never, ever had my lap band put in. Like many, it worked initially then by the time I had it removed, I had practically put on all the weight I lost, which was not much. Between having it removed and my sleeve done, I put on more weight .. so now I am starting my journey once more but hopefully for the last time. I am sick of yo-yo-ing. The sleeve for me is the final solution and yes it is drastic but I have only heard positive things, unlike the band where I thought I was the only one who found it a disaster, in fact it seems to work for very few!! I also believe if you have the band in and out you may not lose as much weight as those just having the sleeve. I am still in the puree-going into soft food stage but look forward to the time when I can eat what I like [just smaller portions!] I would also recommed you go along to an information/seminar at a weight-loss centre, so you can listen and ask questions. You will find you are not alone in your thoughts, believe me. Good Luck to you, whatever you decide. Jo
Back to top Go down
khjat
khjat

Female
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2012-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Hi gorgeous ladies & gents   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents EmptyMon 20 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

Hi Jammy. My surgeon operates at the Epworth Freemasons. His name is Adam Skidmore. He consults at Frankston and Beaumauris. Good luck with your research.
Back to top Go down
Jammy

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Hi gorgeous ladies & gents   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents EmptyMon 20 Aug 2012, 11:51 am

Thanks ladies for your replies.

I did come across Geoff Draper and Patrick Moore in my research but I'm in Point Cook so going to Box Hill is a bit of a pain in the bum. Plus it would be hard for any of my fam & friends to come visit me in hospital :( Can't have that!

The two surgeons I have in mind are either in the city (Freemasons, Epworth) or in Willy which isn't far from me. Although I think I'd prefer a city location.

After a solid day of researching yesterday, I am now feeling very hesitant. Although I think that it's natural, I need to let the idea sink in. I mean they cut your stomach - that's a pretty scary & drastic. My stomach hasn't done anything to deserve that kind of treatment!

Anyway I am making an appointment to see my GP and will discuss with her and I guess that will be my first step. After reading all the problems with lap band, I'm glad I know about this option. I would hate hate hate to be too scared to eat out, feel sick all the time and be in pain. While the sleeve seemed a bit drastic at first, it's clearly getting many great results with most people on here.

Thanks again ladies!
Back to top Go down
rosiem

Female
Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi gorgeous ladies & gents   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents EmptySun 19 Aug 2012, 10:54 pm

Welcome Jammy,

I was sleeved 6 days ago by Geoff Draper at Epworth Box Hill. I think he was absolutely fantastic. I almost left hospital after 24 hours as I felt so good - until I tried drinking! that took a bit of getting used to, but 24 hours later I was fine. He is very caring, explains everything and has a great support group of shrinks, dietitians etc..

I think I've been pretty lucky, as I've had very little pain and haven't taken any painkillers since leaving hospital. Every now and then I have to pinch myself to remember I'm sleeved!

Good luck with your decision making.

Rosiem
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi gorgeous ladies & gents   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents EmptySun 19 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

Welcome Jammy!

I live in Brisbane, so not too sure about surgeons etc there. I was the same as you, thinking about lapband/sleeve. If it helps my decision for choosing the sleeve (still waiting to be sleeved in March next year) is because there is absolutely no turning back. With the band you have to have a new one every 15 years, and there are lots of stories about bands slipping, corroding, rubbing and just in general not being right for the person - too restrictive or not restrictive enough. In saying that, I have never had a band but the research I have done has led me to believe that the sleeve is the better option for me.

I hope this helps! And good luck with your journey, looking forward to chatting about it.

Kayla
Back to top Go down
spoggy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: spoggy   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents EmptySun 19 Aug 2012, 10:57 am

Hi there and welcome. I live in Melbourne as well. I had Patrick Moore for my sleeve. I thought he was fantastic and operate out of Epworth Eastern. The dietician he has is excellent, very down to earth, experienced and practical.

If you feel inclined we could meet up for a cuppa. Where in Melbourne do you live. I live in Donvale.
Back to top Go down
Jammy

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-08-19

PostSubject: Hi gorgeous ladies & gents   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents EmptySun 19 Aug 2012, 10:35 am

Hi everyone

I'm here because I'm at the initial researching phase and looking at my options. After being quite sure about wanting lap band, I'm now almost convinced that the sleeve is the better option for me. I am in Melbourne, 40 yo, 165kgs, 175cms and been this weight for about 5 years now. Previously I hovered around 130 kgs for 8-9 years and then stacked on more weight after I met my enabler husband! (I love him but we are not good for each other in some ways ..). So it's time to stop the gaining/losing/gaining BS and start losing weight once and for all.

If anyone has any surgeons they could recommend I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking at Ian Michell or Jason Winnell because their rooms & hospital are easy to get to - plan to make an appointment with one of them this week if I don't chicken out!

Really looking forward to getting to know you all.

Jammy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi gorgeous ladies & gents   Hi gorgeous ladies & gents Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi gorgeous ladies & gents
Page 1 of 1