12 posters
AuthorMessage
mj78
mj78

Female
Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Question about Hair Loss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptySun 19 Aug 2012, 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I posted something about this somewhere - I too was having massive hair loss. I spoke to my hairdresser, she gave me a good haircut (as it was straggly and yuck) and recommended a product called Activance with Rhodanide (www.activance.com.au). I spray it on my scalp everyday and massge it in, then style as normal. It has been approx 2 weeks since I started using it and it has definitely slowed the hair loss - I don't get such big clumps coming out when I wash my hair or brush it. I assume I will have to wait a couple of months for the lost hair to regrow. I think the bottle cost $55 ( I know, very expensive but it has worked and I was desparate!).
Back to top Go down
PiercedMumma08
Top Poster
Top Poster
PiercedMumma08

Female
Number of posts : 1702
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptySat 18 Aug 2012, 4:50 am

Janette wrote:
Personally I think it has nothing to do with diet.

I have lost my hair 3 times now, and I am sure its major surgery, combined with the aneasthetic and blood thinners. The stress all that puts on your body affects your hair, and the hairdressers will tell you that.

Lost it when I had my sleeve, tummy tuck and then thighplasty!!

Agree! Ive had 3 big surgeries since my sleeve and have also had my hair fall out.

Its still not grown back and very obvious now. Totally different.
Back to top Go down
amanda O'D
Part of the furniture
amanda O'D

Female
Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2010-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptySat 18 Aug 2012, 2:42 am

Hair loss after major surgery is common and the loss of our hair actually happens on the day of our surgeries when the shock of the aneasthetic and the tramua of surgery kills the hair at the folicle. It then takes approx 3 to 4 months for the hair to reach the tops of our scalp and fall out, it then takes another 3 to four months for our new hair growth to make it to the surface. So our hair loss can effect us for around 6 to 8 months in total.

Protien does not stop the hair from falling out, what our friend protien does, is ensure our new hair growth is as healthy and as strong as it can possibly be.

Our new hair growth may have a slight wave or curl to it, or it may even be a different colour to our old growth. I swear i lost dark hair and all these white buggers grew back.

smiles

Mandy
Back to top Go down
Janette
Top Poster
Top Poster
Janette

Female
Number of posts : 4341
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptySat 18 Aug 2012, 1:10 am

Personally I think it has nothing to do with diet.

I have lost my hair 3 times now, and I am sure its major surgery, combined with the aneasthetic and blood thinners. The stress all that puts on your body affects your hair, and the hairdressers will tell you that.

Lost it when I had my sleeve, tummy tuck and then thighplasty!!
Back to top Go down
chrissy1987
chrissy1987

Female
Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 11:24 am

Iv been a yo yo dieter for years and usually when im on the losing weight part of the yo yo my hair falls out like crazy. one thing iv found to help me is hair treatment oils. I usually buy them from any middle eastern or indian stors (plenty in western syd) I buy this mix with coconut oil and amla oil. and while it doesnt completely prevent the loss i find that my hair is much thick. I usually keep it in my hair 1 hour a fortnight. I also change from using hair color to henna color during that time. that way I dont weaken my hair.
Back to top Go down
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 8:51 am

Oh Glenmarie i would love my hair to come back with a wee bit curl,i have lost heaps it was thin but heaps of it,now just thin,i buy expensive shampoo's and conditioners take tablet for hair loss and dont think it make a difference,i think we just have to wait until more hair comes in.I was a hairdresser my daughter is and she says it will get better in time.
Back to top Go down
MissMelly
Part of the furniture
MissMelly

Female
Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2012-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 7:26 am

A couple of weeks after surgery my hair started to fallout and still does at a rapid pace, I have a very high protein diet and also take hair skin and nails tablets as well as a multi vitamin, I believe for myself it is due to the anesthetic as the same thing happened after my c-section and another operation and both times my hair has fallen out for about a year and then gone back to normal growth. I worry if it is getting too thin but all my friends have reassured me that it is not noticeble. I figure that it is a small price to pay for the benefits of weight loss and being fitter.

Cheers
Melissa
Back to top Go down
lin1970
Top Poster
Top Poster
lin1970

Female
Number of posts : 3316
Registration date : 2011-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 6:31 am

I have up on hair loss. Biotin helps with hair loss and is in alot of multi-vits. Also my surgeon said to massage the head to stimulate hair growth cycle. I also have found special shampoos and conditioners online that cater for this and massage my head like crazy. I haven't tried supplements for hair, skin nails as I struggle to take my normal tabs. I will be getting regular haircuts and not colouring my hair for awhile (being paranoid) so the grey hairs will be noticable. I figure I can always get a wig or wigs.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4781479_excessive-hair-loss-women.html
Back to top Go down
glenmaree
Part of the furniture
glenmaree

Female
Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2011-05-22

PostSubject: hair loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 4:24 am

Hi

My hair started to fall out around the 4 month mark - it was really bad similar to someone who has undergone chemo. My dieititian advised me that it was caused partly by low protien levels and also due to the anesthetics - I had 7 in total due to complications. I had below shoulder length hair and as you can see I have had it cut really short on the advice of the hairdresser. She told me there is very little you can do to prevent the hair loss but did suggest that I wash it in baby shampoo and I use a very expensive conditioner with argon oil. Cutting it short slowed the loss and now at 11 months it is thickening again and surprisingly it has a slight curl - has always been dead straight. While it was distressing at the time, it really was a small price to pay for loosing a stack of weight. This is just a small issue and the benefits of wls far outweigh.

Good luck with your journey]

G
Back to top Go down
kayt83
Part of the furniture

Female
Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 4:21 am

Hi Metime

I spoke to both my surgeon and dietitian about this and was advised that it is very common, normally around the 3 - 8 month mark. I believe it is caused by a combination of factors, as Miss Kate has said:

1. Your body is in shock from the surgery and in particular the rapid weight loss. This is the main cause I believe and there isn't anything much you can really do to prevent this. My hairdresser says he notices hair loss in every client who loses more than about 10kg!
2. Lack of protein. The solution to this is to be very conscious to eat the required amount of protein every day (your dietitian or surgeon should be able to advise what is right for you).
3. Lack of certain vitamins and minerals. This is generally only to blame for any ongoing/long term hair loss, solution is to take your vitamins regularly!

I lost a huge amount of hair but it is growing back normally (I have a nice little mohawk of short bits though!) I know some people have gotten on well with the special hair loss shampoos, and I took the Blackmores hair, nails and skin supplements although my dietitian said these may not do much assuming most of my loss would be for reasons 1 and 2 above. I was told if it hadn't gone back to normal volume of loss by around 8 months to have blood tests run for vitamin deficiencies etc.

Hope this helps!

Katie
Back to top Go down
miss kate
miss kate

Female
Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 4:06 am

Hi Metime,

I am pretty sure it's from lack or not enough protein in the diet, and people notice it about 3 to 4 months after the sleeve , but it could be from diet chance aswell... I hope I haven't misinformed you but if im wrong someone will know as this site is so full of information, and wonderful people.

cheers
Back to top Go down
metime
metime

Female
Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss EmptyFri 17 Aug 2012, 3:16 am

Just wondering... I have been reading about a few members having hair loss after the sleeve.
Is this common? and why does it happen and can you prevent it?

Thoughts appreciated...
Emma
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Hair Loss   Question about Hair Loss Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about Hair Loss
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: Welcome! :: Welcomes, Introductions & General Chit Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: