Australian Gastric Sleeve Support Forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?

Go down 
+8
linypcos
Plonk
J
Janojet
Angelmystique
MissMelly
snowbunny
Blackchook
12 posters
AuthorMessage
margd
Top Poster
Top Poster
margd

Female
Number of posts : 2628
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyThu 02 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

I put hot water in my cordial especially in this cold weather and it makes a difference,it really helps me get that fluid in,i have maybe three cups of near black tea and add that on.The only drinks i find hard are fizzy drinks,so just don't bother with them,it does get easier.
Back to top Go down
Angelmystique
Top Poster
Top Poster
Angelmystique

Female
Number of posts : 1359
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyThu 02 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm

oh goodness the first month out i doubt u can do a litre!

but i am over 5months now and i can do 2l but it has to have cordial or lemon in it. i carry around 750ml bottles and i try one in morning and one in arvo - even if i do half i am close to alitre - and its ok cos it does fill me up - less chance to even want junk food!
Back to top Go down
Widget

Female
Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyThu 02 Aug 2012, 12:46 am

6 days post op and no way in hell. I don't know anyone who can. And this is all liquids, not just water. Im getting about 400mls and struggling. Hope it clears up, headache today that I suspect is dehydration.
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Nessa

Female
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2012-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyFri 27 Jul 2012, 8:02 am

I try but just can't do it. I'm lucky if I get 1/2 a litre in.

Once I'm back at work next week, I'll be able to. I'm slack whilst at home.
Back to top Go down
LittleMissCee
Administrator
LittleMissCee

Female
Number of posts : 2103
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 7:31 am

Like J said, it's not about getting in 2L of water a day, it's about getting in that quantity of fluids.

I drink a lot of coffee & diet coke, both of which my dietician said are fine.

Dehydration is not fun. Make sure you keep your fluids up, whatever it may be.
Back to top Go down
linypcos

Female
Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 6:28 am

Great question I have been wondering this myself I can usally get 6ooml in each day I'm 2 1/2 weeks out But I have the same problem its a balance of food and water .
Back to top Go down
Blackchook
Blackchook

Female
Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 4:48 am

I could only do 600 mls a day right up to about 3 weeks then I was able to go up to about 900 mls for the past week.

I put powerade into my water so I am getting a bit of both.

Sometimes I suck on those gastrolyte iceypoles too. They can help with dehydration.
Back to top Go down
Plonk

Female
Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 4:11 am

I'm struggling too! I've started drinking Gatorade as my drink, because I feel like I'm constantly dehydrated. I'd be lucky to get in 600mls for the day at the moment. This is with sipping all day
Back to top Go down
Blackchook
Blackchook

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 4:00 am

Thanks everyone. That's great news about it being fluid and not just water, I guess I am probably not as far off as I thought if I can include my protein milk drink etc.

I'll keep on sipping!
Back to top Go down
J
Part of the furniture
J

Male
Number of posts : 761
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 1:29 am

It's not about getting 1.5-2L of WATER.. It's all fluid throughout the day.

I get pretty close to it, but being 18 months out I can pretty much chug down anything bar soft drink.

Like others have said sip sip sip, it's more important for you to keep your fluid levels up at the early stages than it is to be eating. Being dehydrated won't do you any good at all.
Back to top Go down
Janojet
Part of the furniture
Janojet

Female
Number of posts : 394
Registration date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 1:12 am

I am not sure where the 2L or the 8 glasses a day came from... Renal Physicians basically say to drink enough to satisfy your thirst... that is the amount the body needs. When research on the 8 glasses was carried out, they found no scientific basis for it.

From :http://www.kidney.org.au/kidneydisease/drinkwaterinstead/tabid/703/default.aspx (Kidney Health Australia) :

"Though no single formula fits everyone, knowing more about your body's need for fluids will help you estimate how much water to drink each day. The amount of fluid you need to drink depends on your size, activity level and the weather. The best way of knowing how much to drink is to drink enough to satisfy your thirst."

I guess the difference for we sleevers is that we can't gulp water to satisfy a suddenly raging thirst... but I also assume we don't need to slavishly follow the drink 2L or whatever either... I also know lots of sleevers say that if they don't drink enough water they don't lose weight...

Whatever makes us feel good I guess...

Jane

Back to top Go down
Angelmystique
Top Poster
Top Poster
Angelmystique

Female
Number of posts : 1359
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptyMon 23 Jul 2012, 12:40 am

being only a few weeks out u will struggle with the water

but as melly said - u have to sip sip sip

use it as ur snacks during the day - lil bit of lite cordial, or lemon etc to help dilute it makes it easier to get down (not so heavy).

but it does get easier i promise - its more a mental thought than anything
Back to top Go down
MissMelly
Part of the furniture
MissMelly

Female
Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2012-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptySun 22 Jul 2012, 11:39 pm

It does get easier, I easily drink 1.5-2L of water a day, but you have to make a concerntrated effort, I always have a water bottle or glass of water near me at all times, and just sip endlessly. If you don't drink continuously it is very hard to get it all in as you can't just down a whole glass of water in one go.

Melissa
Back to top Go down
snowbunny
Part of the furniture
snowbunny

Female
Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptySun 22 Jul 2012, 2:38 pm

I am 12 months out and I still struggle with 2L of water, especially in winter.
Back to top Go down
Blackchook
Blackchook

Female

PostSubject: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? EmptySun 22 Jul 2012, 2:32 pm

Being just over 4 weeks post op and I am definitely not getting enough water in. I am getting approx 900 mls in each day.

My skin has gone pretty dry, I can definitely tell I am not getting enough in but I can't fit the water and the amount of puree/soft food I am meant to be having all in one day. I am only having 3 x 1/4 cups of food each day plus my protein supplement in milk.

Does this get easier or is it always a struggle to fit the water in?

Brooke
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?   Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is anyone actually getting in 1.5 to 2 litres of water each day?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gastric Sleeve Support :: All about the surgery :: Pre-op, Post Op, and Complications :: The Post-Op Page-
Jump to: